Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IDEs to use.

Options
  • 16-01-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an idea for a very simple app that I want to develop to cut my teeth in mobile app development. I will develop for Android initially and then onto iOS if I'm happy with the app.

What I need now is advice on what IDEs people are using to develop their apps at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: Would this be a useful sticky for the forum, might save time for people like me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Android - Eclipse/Android Studio
    iOS - xcode

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Cheers,

will give those a go.
    Android - Eclipse/Android Studio
    iOS - xcode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I have tried to use Android Studio on two occasions and both times I gave up. I will wait until it's at version 1.x before trying it again.

I would consider it for layout design as it has a view where it will render the layout in multiple devices at once (need a decent spec machine or patience).

However, even getting Google maps to work with it proved a pain.

For me, Eclipse is my preference for Android dev. IntelliJ (which Android Studio is based on) is the preferred option for many, but I am used to Eclipse and it does what I need. I also recently started to use Eclipse on Linux, and it seems to be less of a pain than on Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

IntelliJ all the way! The autocomplete/intellisense and code inspection is brilliant. It seems to know what I want to write before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I'm used to Eclipse and it never gives me any problems.

The ADT plugin for Eclipse supports displaying multiple layouts that onemorechance mentioned IntelliJ has, so it's not really a reason to choose it over Eclipse.

It's really down the personal choice and preference.
    Eclipse has been around the block and there is a lot of information online about it. There is lots of plugins to do almost anything. But it can be slow, sometimes.

Android Studio was only released at the last I/O so it's possible that Android will be pushing towards using it as the platform of the future so if you've no experience with either it might be a good option to go for it.

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I'm used to Eclipse and it never gives me any problems.

The ADT plugin for Eclipse supports displaying multiple layouts that onemorechance mentioned IntelliJ has, so it's not really a reason to choose it over Eclipse.

It's really down the personal choice and preference.
    Eclipse has been around the block and there is a lot of information online about it. There is lots of plugins to do almost anything. But it can be slow, sometimes.

Android Studio was only released at the last I/O so it's possible that Android will be pushing towards using it as the platform of the future so if you've no experience with either it might be a good option to go for it.

It's one layout at a time with ADT though? There is a view in Android Studio which allows you see see a layout on several devices at once; I think Eclipse only allows you to see one device at a time?

No you can do multiple at once, there is a check box to switch it on.
    And I find it's not too slow either.

290079.png

Excellent! Never saw this! Thanks! :D

No prob :-)

Advertisement