Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid - Welcome to the Coca Cola Arena

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Per year is a nice bonus for the transfer kitty.

Off topic

What was your username before you re-joined? Things like that annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Glazers will be licking their lips at that - though they have said they would not rename OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

It is the "Real" thing after all :)

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Its seems that the Bernabeu is getting a new name...

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/coca-cola-outbid-microsoft-with-a-e80m-a-year-offer-for-naming-rights-to-real-madrids-santiago-bernabeu-stadium/

Coca Cola looks to have beaten Microsoft in a €80million per year naming rights deal.

Is it just me our has football really taken off over the past couple of years with the amount of really big commercial deals that clubs are landing?

The game has always a big attraction commercially but its seems to have really exploded in recent times.

It's a bad thing in my opinion. Clubs will slowly lose part of their identity with stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RasTa wrote: »
    Per year is a nice bonus for the transfer kitty.

Off topic

What was your username before you re-joined? Things like that annoy me.

Bring it to PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's a bad thing in my opinion. Clubs will slowly lose part of their identity with stuff like this.

No they won't, it's a stadium, nothing more.

The fact that fans attach some kind of mystical aura to a stadium, it's name or whatever is absolute romanticised bollox.

who gives a shít if it's the Coca-Cola Stadium, Madrid. The Pepisdrome, Manchester.

It's just a name.

Modern Football, if people don't like, feck off and support a LoI team, or the local sunday league team.

You can't, in any seriousness, support a team like Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid or other team like that - look for 30m+ figure transfers, or go mad when money isn't spent, and then also complain abiout money spinning sponsorship.

It's ridiculous.

No they won't, it's a stadium, nothing more.

The fact that fans attach some kind of mystical aura to a stadium, it's name or whatever is absolute romanticised bollox.

who gives a shít if it's the Coca-Cola Stadium, Madrid. The Pepisdrome, Manchester.

It's just a name.

Modern Football, if people don't like, feck off and support a LoI team, or the local sunday league team.

You can't, in any seriousness, support a team like Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid or other team like that - look for 30m+ figure transfers, or go mad when money isn't spent, and then also complain abiout money sponning sponsorship.

It's ridiculous.

No it isn't ridiculous to think that at all. Sport isn't just about the ****ing money. Most people support their clubs because they are proud of their history & identity. Look at the NFL for god sake, it has gotten very silly with the amount of advertising that goes on during games & that isn't even mentioning all the re-branding, relocating etc. I don't want to see that happening down the line in football. When you let big businesses become heavily involved in your club they always want more in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have no problem with this at all.

Would much rather them earning it fairly like this than getting handouts from the Spanish Government or the way they divvy up the TV rights in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Glazers will be licking their lips at that - though they have said they would not rename OT

And sure there is no chance whatsoever on them going back on that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

When you let big businesses become heavily involved in your club they always want more in time.

...and what did you do to stop "big business" getting involved with your club?

Anything?

Or do you actually support them still, or what?

How do you think they are paying that star striker? From their own pockets, is it?

When the last crowd weren't spending money you were up in arms. Are clubs supposed to run on fresh air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Is it just me our has football really taken off over the past couple of years with the amount of really big commercial deals that clubs are landing?

The game has always a big attraction commercially but its seems to have really exploded in recent times.

yeah noticed that too. Possibly just the norm though when advertising gets into a popular sport/event

even Intel are paying barca for sponsorship that can't be seen :pac:
    it's actually quite clever, tying in brilliantly with their own ad campaign & costing them pittance ($25mil over 5 years)
    intel-inside-barcelona-02.jpg

...and what did you do to stop "big business" getting involved with your club?

Anything?

Or do you actually support them still, or what?

How do you think they are paying that star striker? From their own pockets, is it?

When the last crowd weren't spending money you were up in arms. Are clubs supposed to run on fresh air?

Rich you asking if I'd stop supporting a club over something considering you didn't know if you supported United or not for years! :D

What could I do about it? I'm just stating I don't think it is good for the game in general, I'm allowed an opinion kind sir.

I just think any kind of re-branding of something already tied to the club's history isn't right. I'm well aware the clubs need money for sponsorship to get funds to buy players. It doesn't mean Anfield should be changed to the Dunkin Donuts arena to get a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Serious wedge of cash there for Madrid.

Any of their serious Champions League competitors (who own their own unsponsored Stadium) would have to be tempted to do the same, if they could get anything like that kind of money.

Advertisement