Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction in Louth Forum

Options
  • 16-01-2014 4:19pm

I got infracted for this post because apparently it's racist.

I can't see how what I said is racist and I resent the accusation. It seems that some people have a pretty poor grasp of basic grammar and have taken the exact opposite meaning from the post.

I won't post my PM exchange with the Mod in question, he/she can do so if he/she sees fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are you still discussing this with the Mod or have you come to an impasse?

Are you still discussing this with the Mod or have you come to an impasse?

Impasse.

Thanks. Myself or Mr Magnolia will take a look at this & get back to you.

Just to let you know that I am discussing this matter with the mod concerned & have requested further information. I'll get back to you shortly.

Any progress?

• Advertisement

Hi Buttonftw.

I have discussed this infraction with the Mod & we both agree that this should be reduced to a warning as your comments were on the lighter end of the scale when us comes to such generalizations & off-topic comments.

If you accept this reduction, please let me know & I will ask the admins to take care of as soon as possible.

tHB

No I don't accept that. They weren't at any end of a scale of generalisations. I really can't believe that none of you seem to be able to understand the basic grammar I used, it really is incredible.
    Let's use another example. If I said "Get mice into a box then set fire to it" is that attributing blame to the mice?
    I'm wondering if it's genuinely the case that somehow none of you can understand that basic point of grammar or if you just can't admit that an error was made by a moderator.

I'm sure the next reply will use the criticism within this post as an excuse ("combative tone" would sound professional) to keep the warning.

Basic grammar is not the issue. Your very vague insinuations about the area demographics are. You were asked by a poster to clarify what you meant by your first comment in that thread. You ignored this & carried on to make another ambiguous comment about foreigners.

Maybe if you had made a clear point we wouldn't be here now. As it stands, you appeared to make generalizations & take the thread off-topic.

While the infraction was a tad much in this instance, I still feel that a warning is warranted & I will request that this infraction be reduced nonetheless.

If you wish to appeal to an admin, please do so.

Basic grammar is not the issue. Your very vague insinuations about the area demographics are. You were asked by a poster to clarify what you meant by your first comment in that thread. You ignored this & carried on to make another ambiguous comment about foreigners.

Maybe if you had made a clear point we wouldn't be here now. As it stands, you appeared to make generalizations & take the thread off-topic.

While the infraction was a tad much in this instance, I still feel that a warning is warranted & I will request that this infraction be reduced nonetheless.

If you wish to appeal to an admin, please do so.

I did explain it and it was that post that someone apparently had a problem with with their poor English comprehension.

Are you saying I made generalisations or I appeared to? If I appeared to it's because the people who think I did couldn't understand a basic point of grammar. In future if I report a post because I don't understand it will that person get a warning?

How do I appeal to an admin?

And that's not to mention the accusation of racism via PM by the moderator. Are all posts that mention anything other than the exact content of the OP taking the thread off-topic and therefore actionable? Should I report people for theorising that other stores will now shut down?

• Advertisement

Is there a delay I should've been notified about?

Sorry sbout that. On boards mobile the past few days due to RL matters. Will get back to you later.

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. I have reviewed the PMs & your clarification. I accept that no racist comment was made, however, I can also see why your comments may have been misunderstood. TBH, I had trouble figuring out what was being said myself.

I will request that the infraction be reversed, but would ask that you please try & phrase your points a bit more clearly & less ambiguous in future.

All the best,

tHB

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll add my tuppence worth to The Hill Billy's: at no point during this process did I see you make any effort to explain in plain language what it was you actually meant by the post that was infracted. If you had, it's possible this thread would have been about thirteen posts shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No further comment by the OP in the last 2 weeks. Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement