Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - 12th Oct 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Interesting question belcarra, why have you got a bicycle in your living room?

Maybe it's a unicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Maybe it's a unicycle

Haha. Not quite.

Simple answer is I live in an apartment which means space is very limited. I happen to have a relatively large (In comparison to other rooms) living room so that is where I store my bike.
    Is this really such an unusual situation??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Probably not that unusual.. Anyway, when you posting my umbrella up to me, could've done with it Saturday afternoon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

belcarra wrote: »
    289212.jpg289207.jpg
    And that, Ladies & Gents, is what you get for coming third in the Chicago Marathon Team Competition...a Plaque for the team and a pretty useless umbrella each!
    Just got them today.

But what does "blue" division mean? Would there have been other team comps of higher standards (not demeaning the piss artists at all here) who would have received more salubrious prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Haha. Not quite.

Simple answer is I live in an apartment which means space is very limited. I happen to have a relatively large (In comparison to other rooms) living room so that is where I store my bike.
    Is this really such an unusual situation??:eek:

A living room isn't complete without a bike or three :)

Well done on getting third, guys.

Of all the bloody marathon merchandise they could have sent a group of runners, I can't believe they chose umbrellas! Perhaps ye should tweet some photos at them showing what an addition the umbrellas are to your training regimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The umbrella should come in handy for The_Boy_Wonder in Jamaica!

As useful as any running paraphernalia for the amount of running I'm doing here!

drquirky wrote: »
    But what does "blue" division mean? Would there have been other team comps of higher standards (not demeaning the piss artists at all here) who would have received more salubrious prizes?

All explained here DrQ.

The team results (Red & Blue) are available here.
    A large part of any successful team is knowing your limits and therefore choosing the Blue event was paramount in us being so great!!:D

*Team Members*
    To receive your beautiful new Chicago Marathon® 2013 special edition umbrellas please PM me with your preferred means of delivery.
    Note: Only means of delivery available will be to meet me at my earliest convenience. Team Captain's decision is final!

Probably not that unusual.. Anyway, when you posting my umbrella up to me, could've done with it Saturday afternoon..

A - I seriously doubt the (lack of) quality of the umbrellas would even make it going through the An Post system!!
    You doing Raheny this Sunday? If so I can bring it along!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Not doing Raheny, I'm going to be way too hungover. I'm sure I'll make it through the rest of the winter without the umbrella...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Registration for the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon has been postponed until March 19 at 12 p.m. Central Time to finalize a routine yet comprehensive assessment of our new registration process. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding as we aim to ensure a seamless registration experience for all who wish to register for the event.

The guaranteed entry and lottery entry deadline of April 7 at 12 p.m. remains unchanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this on the twitter feed just now....
    Today marks the opening of the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon registration period at 12 p.m. CT.

Last chance for this today...

The guaranteed entry and lottery entry deadline of April 7 at 12 p.m CST remains unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

blockic wrote: »
    Last chance for this today...

The guaranteed entry and lottery entry deadline of April 7 at 12 p.m CST remains unchanged.

I've entered the lottery, how good are the chances of getting a place? I've entered London and NY ballots plenty of time with no luck but am guessing (hoping) odds are better for Chicago?

I've entered the lottery, how good are the chances of getting a place? I've entered London and NY ballots plenty of time with no luck but am guessing (hoping) odds are better for Chicago?

71,000 have entered the lottery and 40,000 places in total. so if say 10,000 get guaranteed entry and another couple thousand for charity etc. etc that's roughly about a 40% chance of getting in..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I got offered a place from the ballot, need to figure out if I can actually afford to do it now, seems like it would cost around €1000 all in, including flights, hotels, and stuff once there...

Anyone else offered a place?

I got offered a place from the ballot, need to figure out if I can actually afford to do it now, seems like it would cost around €1000 all in, including flights, hotels, and stuff once there...

Anyone else offered a place?

How much is Blockic charging for accommodation??:cool:

I'm in too. It does look very expensive alright but i'm justifying it as a once off type of thing. The very early plan is that my gf will come too and we'll make a holiday out of it.

I know a few from these parts did it last year, anyone got any good hotel recommendations?

I'm in too. It does look very expensive alright but i'm justifying it as a once off type of thing. The very early plan is that my gf will come too and we'll make a holiday out of it.

I know a few from these parts did it last year, anyone got any good hotel recommendations?

It may not sound like something you are looking for but a gang of us stayed in Hostelling International and the place was perfect location, great value and easily the best hostel I ever stayed in. Pretty sure the other guys would agree too.

It may not sound like something you are looking for but a gang of us stayed in Hostelling International and the place was perfect location, great value and easily the best hostel I ever stayed in. Pretty sure the other guys would agree too.

That looks ideal tbh

How much is Blockic charging for accommodation??:cool:

Haha, I need to find a permanent place myself first before I go offering it out! :)

100% agree with this. I may even stay there myself again the night before it was so convenient!

I'm in too but making the start line may be a challenge itself at the moment my the looks of it!

• Advertisement

Need to decide today on this....finances dont work *at all* really, looking 2 grand [plus] for a week away, as Mrs Joe and I both have family not too far away and we cant go that far and not visit both sets, which really complicates things...

But sooooooooo tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Need to decide today on this....finances dont work *at all* really, looking 2 grand [plus] for a week away, as Mrs Joe and I both have family not too far away and we cant go that far and not visit both sets, which really complicates things...

But sooooooooo tempting....

Same position, it's on the bucket list but can't justify it right now, wallet says no so I crumbled and signed up for Dublin :pac:

Just dropped the 185 dolla myself. Not even sure If I'll be in any shape to do it, but better in than out I guess!

It helps that I don't have to worry about flights and accommodation though! Bit of a trip alright otherwise..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd strongly consider this for 2015, looking forward to your reports in October!

feck it, folded like a badly trained man in the last few miles and entered...

If there is a large chance this is my last marathon, Im going out in style, we can worry about the money later!

Flights booked, no turning back now!! [Aer Lingus 100 quid odd sale, ending midnight, so save 200 quid with both of us, not too bad at all]

11 weeks out, How are things going Vagga?

Anyone else signed up that want to come out of the woodwork?

After party to rival McGrattans a certainty!

Corrals are being allocated on Friday and you have until 25th August to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

blockic wrote: »
    After party to rival McGrattans a certainty!

Will you be turning up though?
    Or going for a nap like last year.....:pac::pac:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Will you be turning up though?
    Or going for a nap like last year.....:pac::pac:

Ha...burn on me!

Throwing up like last year you mean! :pac:

• Advertisement

traning not too bad actually, too little speed work to be honest, but plenty of miles in legs, including two runs of over 19 miles, which is not bad at this stage :)

Advertisement