Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - 12th Oct 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Mmmbop! Now we have our team song!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Careful belcarra, it could actually stick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Peckham wrote: »
    Just a heads up that this appears to be quite busy on the Saturday. Lots of time slots already booked out. I've just booked tickets for the cruise at midday.

Just booked tickets for this tour and same time slot as Peckham for myself and the OH.

Mmmbop :D

Blockic - DoD also booked tix for myself and yourself for that noon cruise too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Seeing as we're all running and sailing together, are we all flying together too?

Username|Outbound flight|Return flight
    Peckham|Friday EI123|Wednesday EI124

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just booked tickets for this tour and same time slot as Peckham for myself and the OH.

Mmmbop :D
    belcarra wrote: »
    Blockic - DoD also booked tix for myself and yourself for that noon cruise too...

Nice one lads, will sort ye out over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Outbound the same, but nice extended holiday afterwards with zero running! :D

blockic|Friday EI123|Sunday 20th EI124

blockic|Friday EI123|Sunday 20th EI124
    belcarra|Friday EI125|Sunday 27th EI136 (from Boston)

Flying out at 3:45pm.
    I'll be taking a 2 week holiday with lots of biking and running, culminating in an attempt to run 2 marathons on 2 continents in 24 hours with Marine Corps in DC on the Sunday and DCM on a few hours after I arrive home into Dublin the following morning! I'll need a sub 3:55 in Dublin to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

I'll be taking a 2 week holiday with lots of biking and running, culminating in an attempt to run 2 marathons on 2 continents in 24 hours with Marine Corps in DC on the Sunday and DCM on a few hours after I arrive home into Dublin the following morning! I'll need a sub 3:55 in Dublin to do it!

How much time do you have between landing and getting to the start of DCM? You're mad, but an interesting challange especially if you get sub 4 in both after racing Chicago two weeks before.

How much time do you have between landing and getting to the start of DCM? You're mad, but an interesting challange especially if you get sub 4 in both after racing Chicago two weeks before.

Arrive into Dublin at 5:25 am. Should be in apartment by 6am. 90 min snooze and then make my way to the start line!

• Advertisement

Booked the cruise for midday there too, be a nice way to spend the day.

I'm on that same flight over, Aer Lingus at 11.00 on the Friday, but flying back on the 8pm flight on the Sunday evening, school in the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Booked the cruise for midday there too, be a nice way to spend the day.

I'm on that same flight over, Aer Lingus at 11.00 on the Friday, but flying back on the 8pm flight on the Sunday evening, school in the morning!!!

You're joking I presume RFR?? If not, that's absolute insanity! Flying to Chicago on a Friday and flying home two days later after a marathon, and working the next day??! Lunatic! :eek:

Wish I was joking P, but that's exactly what I'm doing. I'd hoped for, and in the end was lucky enough to get a job, and as a newly qualified, I wouldn't be entitled to the 3 course days in the year that teachers normally get. So, its actually quite difficult to get a couple of days off during the school year.

To be honest, I don't really mind. I did the same thing for London last year, did the race, had a few pints, and flew home, with school the next day. When I did Boston and New York, I flew home the next day, and really found the waiting around for the day a bit of a nuisance, so for most of my foreign races since then, I've tried flying home the evening of the race. The only difference with Chicago will obviously be that I'll be hoping to get 5-6 hours sleep on the way home in the plane!!

On an unrelated note, you doing any long run this weekend? I'll probably do a couple of runs without any MP miles, but around 7:30-7:40 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Wish I was joking P, but that's exactly what I'm doing. I'd hoped for, and in the end was lucky enough to get a job, and as a newly qualified, I wouldn't be entitled to the 3 course days in the year that teachers normally get. So, its actually quite difficult to get a couple of days off during the school year.

To be honest, I don't really mind. I did the same thing for London last year, did the race, had a few pints, and flew home, with school the next day. When I did Boston and New York, I flew home the next day, and really found the waiting around for the day a bit of a nuisance, so for most of my foreign races since then, I've tried flying home the evening of the race. The only difference with Chicago will obviously be that I'll be hoping to get 5-6 hours sleep on the way home in the plane!!

On an unrelated note, you doing any long run this weekend? I'll probably do a couple of runs without any MP miles, but around 7:30-7:40 pace.

Sorry, just seen this now, did 15 this morning with DC and MH @ 7.20 pace, would have suited you perfect. Crap morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Lads, just going to hijack this for a quick question. As you've started talking training instead of fuppin cruising and boozing for a change I thought this might be the moment. I'm doing the slightly less sexy Metz Marathon on the same day. Today I did 'Tergat's Famous' 5,4,3,2,1 mile at Mara pace session. Tough enough I must say, especially as I was on my own and tried to keep pace a tiny bit faster than planned for the day. It's 5 weeks out, so I'm wondering what to do for the next two big weekend runs. Long, say 38k, and slow next weekend with maybe the last really serious LSR on September 22nd being a easy/fast job. Perhaps 32 k with second half at target pace.

The target is about 3.05 btw and before ye say I might as well go for the 3hrs, this'll be my 5th and all 4 previous have been tough (3.32, 3.25 both with chronic cramps, 3.14, 3.12 both with controlled cramping). As Belcarra can confirm, I'm a handsome 48 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Talking of Belcarra, are you losing the old marbles, lad?

Not an awful lot wrong with what you're planning there Itziger. Even two weeks out from the marathon, a 18/20 miler would be fine too, but don't do any MP on that one, MP + 30 seconds would be fine in my experience.

38km is a long long distance. I get up to 23 miles the odd time, but never less than 6 weeks before a goal marathon. 38k is a bit too close to the distance, recovery might take a bit too long from that one. 35 would be enough in my opinion anyway.

Itziger wrote: »
    As Belcarra can confirm, I'm a handsome 48 years old.

Yep, he's definitely 48!

Even two weeks out from the marathon, a 18/20 miler would be fine too, but don't do any MP on that one, MP + 30 seconds would be fine in my experience.

Daniels has a 19 mile run with 15 MP two weeks out from the marathon!

Yeah, but that's a bit mental, don't you think? Or are you planning on doing that?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that's a bit mental, don't you think? Or are you planning on doing that?

Have been following Daniels so far anyway, and he says in his book to try and stick to the plan as closely as possible during the final phase. Moone Kilomarathon is on the day that that session is scheduled, so would have been a handy one.

Am lacking MP miles - need one decent session.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Daniels has a 19 mile run with 15 MP two weeks out from the marathon!
    It's actually three weeks out. Those damn 'Merkins start their week on a Sunday. I never really know when to do a Q1 or Q2 session.

Thanks Krusty, that makes more sense I think. I had myself questioning whether my standard 20 mile run without a huge amount of MP two weeks out was too easy on myself. Glad to hear that the session 3 weeks out is the big 'n.

(Accidentally posted in RFR's log, so moving it here so that everyone sees it)

A month to go and we still haven't discussed post-marathon pubs. Not sure where everyone is staying (and I know that RFR is only available for late-morning/afternoon beers before flying home), but here are a few recommendations from my man on the ground.

I guess we need two venues - one for immediately post-marathon lunch and beers, and another for us to meet up again that night. If weather is good we can just hang around the "mile 27 party" for a while, but a nearby pub would be good.

Any of the below are good for me.
    Beside me, there's Timothy O'Tooles, likely to be packed, but has a decent selection of beers. Further afield, there's Rock Bottom on Grand/State, which brews its own, and has very good bar food. Also has a roof garden if weather permits.

In the Loop, there's Monks (Lake/ Wells), which is a little out of the way, but must have 100 beers on the menu. Its beside both red and blue lines.
    Nearer the finish line, there are a couple of places that are popular with the runners, Sweetwater tavern and grill on Michigan/ Lake and Houlihans near Michigan/ Wacker.

For immediately after the race, Kitty O'Shea's in the Hilton Hotel is close enough to the finish area and should be easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Have been following Daniels so far anyway, and he says in his book to try and stick to the plan as closely as possible during the final phase. Moone Kilomarathon is on the day that that session is scheduled, so would have been a handy one.

Am lacking MP miles - need one decent session.

hi peckham, you still doing the moone kilomarathon ? we'd have similiar MP

For immediately after the race, Kitty O'Shea's in the Hilton Hotel is close enough to the finish area and should be easy to find.

I've thrown all those bars onto a google map along with lodgings and Marathon start/finish/expo area. Kitty's looks the best bet for a number of reasons for post-race beverages (Not least it's around the corner from where 4 of us are staying!).
    We can regroup later and go to an alternative pub to drink the night away!

jfh wrote: »
    hi peckham, you still doing the moone kilomarathon ? we'd have similiar MP

Nope - counted my weeks incorrectly, and it's too close to the big event. May do the 10k.

I've thrown all those bars onto a google map along with lodgings and Marathon start/finish/expo area. Kitty's looks the best bet for a number of reasons for post-race beverages (Not least it's around the corner from where 4 of us are staying!).
    We can regroup later and go to an alternative pub to drink the night away!

I'm staying pretty much where Timothy O'Toole's is marked on the map, however I'll travel wherever the crowd goes that night.

• Advertisement

Kittys would be handy alright, good starting spot.. Anyone know what time the pubs start serving in the morning time over there? Are cans an option or likely to get taken off us with the increased security? I've found post race tinnies a great addition over the last couple of marathons, thanks to TRR and Robin in London a while back..

Advertisement