Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - 12th Oct 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

What's the recommended time needed in the airport these days for going to the USA? Is 3-4 hours really necessary or will 2 hours beforehand do alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

What's the recommended time needed in the airport these days for going to the USA? Is 3-4 hours really necessary or will 2 hours beforehand do alright?

Not sure. I've never done the pre-clearance thing before, so not sure how much time to allow for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

So almost into taper for you lads (and me). What are the plans for this? I did 18k at PMP yesterday and today I'm looking to do an easy 26 or so. Very few important sessions after that, maybe one middle of next week with some speed, say 5x1k at 10k pace or 3x1 mile at 5k pace which I believe P&D have in their plan. Next weekend maybe a 20k easy and then a couple of days of tipping along at short distance during the last week. Good luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'll crash in here as the token Yank... 2.5 hrs always seems about right for getting through security, US Immigration etc etc...

Thanks drquirky. Flight at 11.25. Might aim to be at the airport for between 8:30 and 9:00. Not checking in a bag so shouldn't have too many problems hopefully..

Regarding tapering, just in the door from 20 miles. About 5 of them were in and around MP, and another 6 at about MP+10. Felt pretty good. I'll wind down nearly completely now after that one. Easy running mostly now for the rest of the week, then maybe a cross country race next weekend, before more easy running with only the odd bit of MP stuff.

• Advertisement

Will be leaving house at 8, so should be at check in around 8.30.

Just back from my final 20 miler too. Plan was 12 miles easy and then progressive build up to 6:30 pace over 6 miles. The easy 12 went well, but ended up hitting the faster pace too fast and too soon, so backed off after 4 miles before doing any damage. Finished off easily and overall average was 7:09.

Nailed the gel strategy and did the run in the race shoes. All good.

Not much left now. 10 x 1 mile @ 15k pace on Wednesday. 13 easy miles next weekend. 2 X 1 mile @ 10k pace on Tuesday of race week. Wouldn't trust myself to race next weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great running lads...looking right on track! Still no running since Wednesday for me...starting to get worried..there is taper and then there is no running..not good. Going to try 6 slow later...at about 80% health wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

blockic wrote: »
    Great running lads...looking right on track! Still no running since Wednesday for me...starting to get worried..there is taper and then there is no running..not good. Going to try 6 slow later...at about 80% health wise

Don't worry man you'll be fine. Hopefully the illness is improving?

drquirky wrote: »
    Don't worry man you'll be fine. Hopefully the illness is improving?

Yeah improving well the last 48 hrs but it settled in the chest on Friday so being particularly careful...I reckon another 24 hrs and I should hopefully be right. Lsr pencilled in for tomorrow night but if I don't make that I'll write that 18 miler off..too late in the day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Looking good there P & RFR. Wouldn't worry yet Blockic, in the bigger picture you've missed nothing!

I did 20 on Tuesday and then 10 mile race today @ slightly faster than MP. Thinking about another 13 - 15 miles at easy pace tomorrow... what do ye reckon? I'd be hoping the two runs would combine to replace a 20 miler.

• Advertisement

Yeah improving well the last 48 hrs but it settled in the chest on Friday so being particularly careful...I reckon another 24 hrs and I should hopefully be right. Lsr pencilled in for tomorrow night but if I don't make that I'll write that 18 miler off..too late in the day after that.

Any chance of you getting your hands on some antibiotics? Do you know any friendly pharmacist who might give you some today?

Belcarra, not sure if you should do 13-15 after doing a 10 mile faster than race pace. That 10 tempo would've been a good workout by itself, so nothing really to be gained by doing another longish run the following day. Maybe leave it til the midweek if you really want to do it..

Belcarra, not sure if you should do 13-15 after doing a 10 mile faster than race pace. That 10 tempo would've been a good workout by itself, so nothing really to be gained by doing another longish run the following day. Maybe leave it til the midweek if you really want to do it..

+1, but wouldn't even bother doing it midweek.

Cheers lads, I was originally thinking something similar but seeing all your 20 milers this weekend was making me guilty!
    I did manage a few km beforehand and a little afterwards to bring it up to 21km/13 miles in total so maybe that's enough considering the effort for the 10 miler.

Peckham wrote: »
    Any chance of you getting your hands on some antibiotics? Do you know any friendly pharmacist who might give you some today?

Thought about going to doc for them but think I'll let nature take it's course....if I go on them now it might knock me right out for a couple weeks and scupper the whole deal...decisions decisions.

Thought about going to doc for them but think I'll let nature take it's course....if I go on them now it might knock me right out for a couple weeks and scupper the whole deal...decisions decisions.

I was on antibiotics the week before Boston..... actually, forget that, bad example!

Spoke to the brother in law in Chicago yesterday. I'd been deliberately avoiding looking at long range weather forecasts, but he tells met that current heat there is ending and forecasts are showing a sharp drop towards 10-12 degrees towards end of this week. Still way too early, but nice to hear all the same!

Good to hear. Yeah, checked the weather yesterday, this 28-30 degrees business was starting to worry me a bit..

Spoke to the brother in law in Chicago yesterday. I'd been deliberately avoiding looking at long range weather forecasts, but he tells met that current heat there is ending and forecasts are showing a sharp drop towards 10-12 degrees towards end of this week. Still way too early, but nice to hear all the same!

Forget the weather and the race, any forecasts on how Kitty's is looking?

belcarra wrote: »
    Forget the weather and the race, any forecasts on how Kitty's is looking?

I mentioned that Kitty's was the chosen venue, and he approved of our choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Did my last long run yesterday. Can't wait for this now! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

I got my participant guide in the post last Saturday so ye should be getting it any day now. Haven't had a chance to look at it properly but it is just the same as the pdf online but the back page has your packet pick-up ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Looks like we have more competition than anticipated:

http://assets.chicagomarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/team-conf_2013-FINAL.pdf

12 teams in there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Looks like we have more competition than anticipated:

http://assets.chicagomarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/team-conf_2013-FINAL.pdf

12 teams in there now!

We'll all be cheering for the pidollardollar artists ;)

I'm dosed with the cold over the last couple of days. Reasonably content that its not a chest infection or anything, just enough to make me feel groggy and cranky (more than usual). Probably a good time to be dosed rather than a week from now.

I'm dosed with the cold over the last couple of days. Reasonably content that its not a chest infection or anything, just enough to make me feel groggy and cranky (more than usual). Probably a good time to be dosed rather than a week from now.

It's strange how sickness is more likely to strike in first week of taper rather than final week of high mileage. Not sure how the body senses the first few days of taper.

You're right though. Better this week than next. No running?

Got the email with race number earlier. Feeling real now!

Yeah, pretty much no running.. Just 4 miles on treadmill Tuesday evening.. Hopefully the day off work tomorrow will help me recover.. Man flu's a bitch..

That's just mental, mine came on the very first taper run! :rolleyes:

Hope it clears quickly for you A, dose yourself up on Vit C. Has this made the decision over Saturday easier?
    Got the email with race number earlier. Feeling real now!

Got mine too, well excited now.

Lads, re the water cups, how much do you reckon is in them? 150-200ml?

Will probably spill another 50ml from that then. Very hard to calculate how much you are taken in when its not a standard bottle...

Watched the course video earlier, nice route but that climb with 400m to go will be a killer! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, If I'm still sniffling by Sunday, definitely no Cross-Country. Will play it by ear until then, but would want to be 100% sure I'm healthy before running a race a week out from marathon.

My usual strategy with water is to take just a small sip or two at every station, wouldn't consider drinking all of the cup. Little and often works best for me.

Advertisement