Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - 12th Oct 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runner Tracking via social networks be set up via here...

https://register.athletetracking.net/bacm/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

blockic wrote: »
    Runner Tracking via social networks be set up via here...

https://register.athletetracking.net/bacm/index.html

How does this work? If I sign up via Facebook to track myself, does that mean that it will issue a status update on my Facebook that everyone can see? Or, does everyone who wants to track me need to add it to their Facebook?

Peckham wrote: »
    How does this work? If I sign up via Facebook to track myself, does that mean that it will issue a status update on my Facebook that everyone can see? Or, does everyone who wants to track me need to add it to their Facebook?

I think how it works is that it will post on your own facebook so people will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

It won't allow non-US mobile numbers by the looks of things.. Looks like facebook is the trick.

Long range forecast for next Sunday is cloudy, highs of 18 degrees, lows of 9 degrees, with 10% chance of rain, and SW winds of 14 km/h. Not bad..

• Advertisement

Long range forecast for next Sunday is cloudy, highs of 18 degrees, lows of 9 degrees, with 10% chance of rain, and SW winds of 14 km/h. Not bad..

Those winds would be kind. Wind at the back for final few miles!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. How you feeling Peckham? Things seem to have picked up massively for you over the last couple of weeks, you got any idea of your target yet? (Just trying to get company for sub 2:50)...

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. How you feeling Peckham? Things seem to have picked up massively for you over the last couple of weeks, you got any idea of your target yet? (Just trying to get company for sub 2:50)...

Feeling good. Got the taper illness over with when I eased off a few weeks ago. Sub 2:50 is a bridge too far - planning an easy start, ramp it up a bit at 10-15k, halfway just under 1:28, gradually up it a bit more during 2nd half. 2:52ish. Looks easy written down! ;-)

Feeling good. Got the taper illness over with when I eased off a few weeks ago. Sub 2:50 is a bridge too far - planning an easy start, ramp it up a bit at 10-15k, halfway just under 1:28, gradually up it a bit more during 2nd half. 2:52ish. Looks easy written down! ;-)

Tempted! ;)

sounds like a good plan, wouldn't be a big surprise if I ended up slipping back a bit , we could end up finishing close together.. I'm gonna go for the 2:50 but have 2:54 as the B goal, 2:57 as the C goal.. Most importantly, plan on enjoying the race, can't go halfway round the world to have regrets after..

• Advertisement

Tempted! ;)

It's pretty much a progression from 6:45 to 6:40 to 6:30 - exactly as you planned your session last night.

sounds like a good plan, wouldn't be a big surprise if I ended up slipping back a bit , we could end up finishing close together.. I'm gonna go for the 2:50 but have 2:54 as the B goal, 2:57 as the C goal.. Most importantly, plan on enjoying the race, can't go halfway round the world to have regrets after..

Well, our B and C goals are identical!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

I'm gonna go for the 2:50 but have 2:54 as the B goal, 2:57 as the C goal...

This is my exact plan too, though I have no idea yet if 2:50 is doable, will know around 7 mile mark!?!? Will be easing into the pace, won't mind if i'm a min down after 3 miles (the plan anyway).

Good stuff DoD.. That's my exact strategy, something like 7:00, 6:50, 6:40, then into Mp if possible.. By the looks of things we'll be nearly all grouped together for at least a couple of miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good stuff DoD.. That's my exact strategy, something like 7:00, 6:50, 6:40, then into Mp if possible.. By the looks of things we'll be nearly all grouped together for at least a couple of miles

You'll all have to hold hands all the way...seemed to work for Krusty and Kiely!

It's pretty much a progression from 6:45 to 6:40 to 6:30 - exactly as you planned your session last night.

Kinda.. will discuss during the week after I over analyse my plan 20 times! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Good to see you have the plan for post race sorted, but still teasing out the race strategy itself!! Priorities are spot on!!

I had entered back in Feb along with you guys. In the mean time an my achiles injury was really slow to sort out. Then I moved to Jamaica during the summer, and that knocked another few weeks out with no training due to relocating, getting settled. I'd pretty much given up on the idea of making it to Chicago until about a month ago as I was really struggling with getting any long runs done with the heat here. Then I decided to start getting up with the birds, and have managed to string together a few long runs. Most of them good, but I'm way off the pace I was doing this time last year.
    So I decided today that I'd make the trip. The plan is to try get around in one piece and tick Chiago marathon off the bucket list. running for the tshirt so to speak. I'd be more than happy to make it home in or around 4 hours as that's been the long run pace, but I'll slow it down as needs be. Hoping the warm weather training will stand to me, but the main thing is to enjoy some of the experience.
    Best of luck with the last week of taper. No doubt I'll catch you in Kitty's. You speed merchants will have a few bevvies on board by the time I make it in, so save us a seat!

Good man Stephen! Just hope we can understand the Kil-maica accent by then, although blockic should be able to translate most of it for us!

Only a week left until the hangover from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well, it's officially marathon week for you all:D so I'll start the ball rolling with the well wishes....

Very, very best of luck to you all in Chi town. Chicago was my second marathon in 2009 and I was blown away by the support along the route, it's a wonderful race and I'm looking forward to reading all your PB-filled reports.
    The only bad memory I have from there is the horrific hill tiny speed bump about 400M from the Finish Line but I'm sure all you seasoned runners will hardly notice it.

Have fun:):):):)

• Advertisement

I ran my '12km easy with 3km @ MP' last night so apart from a few strides later in the week all easy/recovery paced running from now 'til Sunday.
    The Norwegians are suggesting 17deg, gentle Southerly breeze and light rain for Sunday morning - Hopefully the rain will make it feel a bit cooler again!
    Also, apparently sunrise is at 7:01am on Sunday morning so looks like we'll be making our way to the start area in the dark...

By the way, just to get you in the mood some great reviews of past Chicago marathons here, to go nicely along with Marthastew's comments above!

belcarra wrote: »
    I ran my '12km easy with 3km @ MP' last night so apart from a few strides later in the week all easy/recovery paced running from now 'til Sunday.
    The Norwegians are suggesting 17deg, gentle Southerly breeze and light rain for Sunday morning - Hopefully the rain will make it feel a bit cooler again!
    Also, apparently sunrise is at 7:01am on Sunday morning so looks like we'll be making our way to the start area in the dark...

Saw your time change conundrum for your 24 hour attempt! Gutting! The one bloody week!

Also I reckon we could be queuing quite a long time to get through the security check so we'll have to get there early too.

Gates open at 5:30am and we go through Gate 1 apparently along with 20,000 other runners! :eek: I can see a 30-40 mins there anyway! :mad:

Gates open at 5:30am and we go through Gate 1 apparently along with 20,000 other runners! :eek: I can see a 30-40 mins there anyway! :mad:

They have an "Express Lane" for those without bags. I was going to go with a Ryanair style approach and wear loads of clothes, shove everything (including the gear check bag) into my pockets and then pack everything into the gear bag once I get through security.

Want to have some fresh gear to put on after the race, especially if we're going to get a bit of rain, so don't fancy going without a gear check bag.

Also - I read on the Runners World forum that the free beer is given before you leave the finish area, and once you leave that area you can't get back in again. So don't leave without the beer!

Saw your time change conundrum for your 24 hour attempt! Gutting! The one bloody week!

Also I reckon we could be queuing quite a long time to get through the security check so we'll have to get there early too.

Yep, with Boston et al, the security will be slow I imagine.
    If you have no baggage then there are express entries available so maybe that's the way to go. we will probably be fine to leave everything in our digs because it's so close and just bring a throwaway top, although if it's warm even that may not be necessary. Don't forget about queuing for your baggage afterwards either!

By the by, the expo is 2 miles from our hostel so I will use that as my early morning Sat leg loosener...2 x 2 miles sounds like the perfect job!

They have an "Express Lane" for those without bags. I was going to go with a Ryanair style approach and wear loads of clothes, shove everything (including the gear check bag) into my pockets and then pack everything into the gear bag once I get through security.

Want to have some fresh gear to put on after the race, especially if we're going to get a bit of rain, so don't fancy going without a gear check bag.

Also - I read on the Runners World forum that the free beer is given before you leave the finish area, and once you leave that area you can't get back in again. So don't leave without the beer!

P - if you like you can leave stuff in our hostel - it's only a few blocks from the race start entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck all in Chicago.

belcarra wrote: »
    Yep, with Boston et al, the security will be slow I imagine.

If you have no baggage then there are express entries available so maybe that's the way to go. we will probably be fine to leave everything in our digs because it's so close and just bring a throwaway top, although if it's warm even that may not be necessary. Don't forget about queuing for your baggage afterwards either!

By the by, the expo is 2 miles from our hostel so I will use that as my early morning Sat leg loosener...2 x 2 miles sounds like the perfect job!

Good idea, re the Saturday morning, I might hold off so to go to the expo then with you!

I'll be up very early on the Saturday to stay on "irish time" for the race on Sunday.

Re the Bag, if we are panning out in the park for a bit after then I reckon I'll need a spare top etc to put on if it's sweaty etc...Peckham good idea there re wearing the clothes and putting them in the bag after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

There's a signed used flahavans porridge bag up for grabs for the first person to trip up blockic, 'run fat boy run' style.

The empty bag has been signed by usain bolt, mo farrah, roger bannister and Hercules.

*prize available for collection on board the titanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

getting a little bit depressed from reading this thread and getting "Participant Update' emails from the organizers:(

Would love to be using my entry on Sunday but had to change my plans at an early stage....oh well, next year hopefully.

I hope everybody gets what they are looking for and more from the race, good luck.

Advertisement