Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - 12th Oct 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

belcarra wrote: »
    I ran my '12km easy with 3km @ MP' last night so apart from a few strides later in the week all easy/recovery paced running from now 'til Sunday.
    The Norwegians are suggesting 17deg, gentle Southerly breeze and light rain for Sunday morning - Hopefully the rain will make it feel a bit cooler again!
    Also, apparently sunrise is at 7:01am on Sunday morning so looks like we'll be making our way to the start area in the dark...

My forecast in Budapest exactly the same. Have to say the temp range is kind of stressing me out. Please tell me 19 or 20 isn't horrific for running a decent race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

drquirky wrote: »
    My forecast in Budapest exactly the same. Have to say the temp range is kind of stressing me out. Please tell me 19 or 20 isn't horrific for running a decent race?

I think Wilson Kipsang said before Berlin that he'd go for the world record so long as temperatures were no more than 19 degrees, so I guess it's at the top end of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Ran Half M in Lisbon in temps of 25 - 26C at the weekend, not exactly conducive to ideal running conditions but park all PB notions at the entrance to your corral. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Everyone's different but there is a common denominator to all my crap races this year, namely temps of 20deg+. I'll be keeping a close eye on HR if it's warm as redlining early on is a sure fire way to walk the last few miles!!:eek:
    I think it was around 20deg in Athlone Half so AFAIR you managed those conditions pretty well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

belcarra wrote: »
    Everyone's different but there is a common denominator to all my crap races this year, namely temps of 20deg+. I'll be keeping a close eye on HR if it's warm as redlining early on is a sure fire way to walk the last few miles!!:eek:
    I think it was around 20deg in Athlone Half so AFAIR you managed those conditions pretty well?

Ah- good stuff Belcarra thanks for that. I had been looking trying to find the temp in Athlone as I thought it would be a good example for me in terms of what I can expect in those kind of conditions- didn't feel like heat was a big factor for me there so hopefully the 15-20 degree temps predicted during the race on Sun. shouldn't be too bad. I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this right now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, I told all and sundry that Metz was the October 13th choice of marathon. Bloody hell, it's gone from quite warm recently to a forecast of single figures and rain for next Sunday. Same as last year then and tbh I found it a bit miserable. Be perfect conditions for a Mayo lad ;)

Itziger wrote: »
    Well, I told all and sundry that Metz was the October 13th choice of marathon. Bloody hell, it's gone from quite warm recently to a forecast of single figures and rain for next Sunday. Same as last year then and tbh I found it a bit miserable. Be perfect conditions for a Mayo lad ;)

Sign me up now, off to Ryanair to check prices...anyone want a Chicago entry??

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Lads/lassie - -best of luck in Chicago. Been following your banter here.
    Enjoy Kitty's!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Itziger wrote: »
    Well, I told all and sundry that Metz was the October 13th choice of marathon.

Poznan is the place to be this Sunday for a marathon ;)

10C and a light breeze say these Norwegian lads, looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Are the irish still going strong over there? It was some spot for the Euros! :D

• Advertisement

Could be one for next year possibly...? I thought it was a great Town despite the footie. Bad/no memories of drinking several bottles of Vodka with a few mates in the Lizard King bar in the Square... #Bringbacktrap!

Throw up a link/report here when you're done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

It looks like it'll be a decent event hopefully, their site says there'll be close to 8,000 on the start line and the course looks like a good, reasonably flat one. Beer given out at the end too to bring back memories (or maybe not "memories" as such :D) of last summer. I'll put up a report here next week.

Good luck to you all heading to Chicago, or Metz for that matter :)

Live coverage of the race here. Looks like it includes finish line cameras so those at home can watch us cross the line.

For all my fellow travellers to Chicago - I have created a group on Whatsapp for communicating while over there.
    If you want to be included in the group PM me your phone numbers and I'll add you.
    (This should hopefully reduce the costs of roaming charges and we'll all be able to see if plans change, etc. without having to text each person)

Peckham wrote: »
    Live coverage of the race here. Looks like it includes finish line cameras so those at home can watch us cross the line.

I'll be hoping to just make the line first! :p

Had a nightmare last night that I had a DNF again. One of those that when you wake up it takes you 5 minutes before you realise it didn't happen! Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

blockic wrote: »
    I'll be hoping to just make the line first! :p

Had a nightmare last night that I had a DNF again. One of those that when you wake up it takes you 5 minutes before you realise it didn't happen! Phew!

I'll be hoping to just make it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'll be hoping to just make it!!

My dream is totally different, even though its for New York. Wake up on the morning of the flight down home in Wexford and I pay the taxi man 200 euro to get me to airport on time. He bloody keeps stopping for food at every petrol station!!!

Pretty good app here. Much easier for runner tracking...
    Download the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Mobile Application, powered by Tata Consultancy Services. The free mobile application features important information for the 2013 event including race weekend schedules, runner tracking, real time weather, interactive maps, event photos and much more.

To download the mobile application for iPhone click here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chimarathon2013/id718145625?ls=1&mt=8

To download the mobile application for Android click here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcs.chicagomarathon2013&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Very best of luck to everyone running on Sunday!

Will hopefully get a chance to take a look at the online coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Thought I'd better update this table. When I filled it out months ago I didn't think 2:50 would be possible. 2:50 is the long term target and feel like I may be close to it for Chicago so going to go for it. We'll see after the first 7-8 miles how its going.

Name|Corral|Target|Team comp?|Gender
    Belcarra|B|3:12:30|Yes|M
    Peckham|A|2:48:00|Yes|M
    RunForestRun|A|2:49:50|Yes|M
    blockic|A|2:57:00|Yes|M
    DukeOfDromada|A|2:550:00|Yes|M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck to all - Hope you get perfect weather and the times you want!

hhhmmm. I'm revising to a slower time - same as my Boston target, but a much better chance of hitting it.

Have included a column for bib number

Name|Corral|Target|Bib#
    Belcarra|B|3:12:30|
    Peckham|A|2:4852:00|1675
    RunForestRun|A|2:49:50|
    blockic|A|2:57:00|
    DukeOfDromada|A|2:550:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi lads,

I'm going to have a go at my original target of 3:29:59. Training hasn't gone as smoothly as I'd have liked but I think it's still possible. Can somebody add me to the table? Bib# 6197. Thanks

Corral B ;)

Adding yaboya. Wasn't sure which corral you're in?

Name|Corral|Target|Bib#
    Belcarra|B|3:12:30|
    Peckham|A|2:4852:00|1675
    RunForestRun|A|2:49:50|
    blockic|A|2:57:00|
    DukeOfDromada|A|2:550:00|
    yaboya||3:29:59|6197

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck lads. hope the weather is kind to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

sideswipe wrote: »
    getting a little bit depressed from reading this thread and getting "Participant Update' emails from the organizers:(

Would love to be using my entry on Sunday but had to change my plans at an early stage....oh well, next year hopefully.

I hope everybody gets what they are looking for and more from the race, good luck.

Likewise, Sideswipe. I'll be cheering all the runners on through gritted teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Enjoy the run all. Looking forward to the race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck guys

Pi$$ heads ftw :D

Sunny and 10 degrees forecast for Sunday morning. If the temperature falls any further we'll be complaining about how cold it is at the start! :P

• Advertisement

Best of luck Sunday ClashCityRocker, be sure to let us know how you go..

Advertisement