Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debra Ireland half marathon

Options
  • 16-01-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering if anyone on here has run the Debra Ireland half marathon in the Wicklow Mountains? Is it a very tough course? Seeing as most of it is off road, is it on grass/muck/rock or is it on gravel paths?
    Just looking for some firsthand info coz it would be my first half and I it would be nice to get some opinions on its level of difficulty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

laurach wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone on here has run the Debra Ireland half marathon in the Wicklow Mountains? Is it a very tough course? Seeing as most of it is off road, is it on grass/muck/rock or is it on gravel paths?
    Just looking for some firsthand info coz it would be my first half and I it would be nice to get some opinions on its level of difficulty.

There are 3 climbs. The first is on fireroad (good quality forestry road). The second is the biggest and mainly on grass. It can be a slog if wet. The last 2k of it is on tarmac road and at the top its 10k and the worst is over. You've now a long downhill into Glendasan. A horrible little climb and then you've a few k to go till the finish.
    It runs at least 20% longer than a half. If you tell me what time you expect for a half and I can tell you what you might do it in and how hard it might be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Hi T Runner - would originally have been targeting a half on May Bank Holiday weekend and was hoping to run a 9 min mile to come in under the 2 hour mark.

Hi T Runner - would originally have been targeting a half on May Bank Holiday weekend and was hoping to run a 9 min mile to come in under the 2 hour mark.

That will be fine. That would put you at about 2.5 hours and ahead of 50 runners going by last years results. Just extend your longest run of the week every week and get some runs in over hills and you'll be fine. Going very easy on the first uphill and downhill on the day is important. When running the uphills, don't try and run hard or fast. Just concentrate on being comfortable. That will teach you to climb for an extended period which is what you want.
    If youre Dublin based I can link to a good training run in the Dublin hills you could try for a longer run. You dont have to do much off-road at all for this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Thanks again T runner for the advice - it's much appreciated. I'm a long way from Dublin so I will continue with the Hal Higdon Novice 2 half marathon plan. There's plenty of hills down my way so no excuses not to be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

One of the most scenic half marathons around. Event threads from previous year's are around somewhere. Let me go look...

Links here

and here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've signed up for this, it'll be my first half marathon actually it'll be my first run over 10km.
    I mainly run on my own around killiney, reckon the hills will suit me. Aiming for 2:20.

Do I need trail runners? I normally wear new balance or asics.

Planning on doing the park run on Saturday morning them heading up to glendalough and running the white route.

Any tips on how to train from 10 to 20k?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Its a great run, really enjoyable! The first time i did it i just wore road runners so depending on the weather not being attrocious in the run up to it i would say you'd be fine. As regards training, get some hills in!! If you live in Dublin, maybe head up to Ticknock/Three Rock, run on the trails around there

ted1 wrote: »
    I've signed up for this, it'll be my first half marathon actually it'll be my first run over 10km.
    I mainly run on my own around killiney, reckon the hills will suit me. Aiming for 2:20.

Do I need trail runners? I normally wear new balance or asics.

Planning on doing the park run on Saturday morning them heading up to glendalough and running the white route.

Any tips on how to train from 10 to 20k?

The parts with least traction are the big uphill up to 10k. Most of the down-hills are on hard good surfaces although now I think of it the downhill from 10-13-4k can be slippy enough. Trail runners ideally. I wore Adidas Kanadia last year. Good on road and trail. You should be able to get a pair of kanadia 4s, for less than €60 in a shop and less again online.

Is it your first race or run over 10k?

Extend one run a week until you can run for 2 hours (add 15 mins per week). Do it on hills more often than not. Enjoy it and get running and exploring all the trails inside Killiney/Dalkey park and the roads outside. Include one very long climb in your training run e.g Dalkey, Coliemore or Shangannah to Obelisk and/or Dalkey hill summit. , I.e a gradual climb from close to sea level to the obelisk/Dalkey Hill. As the run gets longer and you get better at the climb, push the climb a little later into the run so youre more tired starting it and get more endurance. The last few weeks before the race add another very steep climb (back of Killiney hill) towards the end of the run that youll have to walk and practice walking up it fast but controlled. This resembles the actual race profile (see profile at bottom)

Do a second run 3/4 lenght of the long one. Make sure do do either the main run or the second one on a hilly route.

Do easy running apart from that during the week. Also do 6-8 x 15 seconds fast after an easy run twice a week (start at 6 reps). Not eyeballs out, just think upright and controlled and fast. This will make all other training easier. This sounds trivial but it will help greatly.

After about a month you can throw in faster segments to another run if training is going well. E.G easy 10 mins 4 x 5 mins (jog 2 mins between) 10 mins easy.
    This effort should only be slightly greater than your race effort. You can just extend the fast sections as you see fit.

Throwing these fast sections into the secondary long run close to race time is fine too, if you fancy a tough run.

Heres the profile. Try and make the long run resemble this as you extend it:

rjwz.jpg

Thanks again T runner for the advice - it's much appreciated. I'm a long way from Dublin so I will continue with the Hal Higdon Novice 2 half marathon plan. There's plenty of hills down my way so no excuses not to be prepared!

That should be perfect Laura. Ive given some advice to Ted on how to pick the route for the long run most beneficial to the race route in a separate post.^^

Thanks. that's a wealth of information. i'll pick up pair of trail runners this weekend , so as to have them broken in.

Yes it's my first race over 10km, and I've only done more than 10k a handful of times.

I like a challenge and generally feel I have more in me when i get back from a 10km.

I know i'll find it tough but am confident i'll get through it.

as it happens the route you describe is close to what I do. I live in seafield, so its down to the dart station, up to the Vico Road, turn in to the park and on up to the Obelisk back down, killiney hill road, on to military road and back home.

I guess I should look at increasing the distance, and adding more hills. ( down to the tea rooms, past the castle up the drive way of the hill, back to Obliesk)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    as it happens the route you describe is close to what I do. I live in seafield, so its down to the dart station, up to the Vico Road, turn in to the park and on up to the Obelisk back down, killiney hill road, on to military road and back home.

I guess I should look at increasing the distance, and adding more hills. ( down to the tea rooms, past the castle up the drive way of the hill, back to Obliesk)

And when your comfortable with that you could descend via Dalkey hill further down vico road (instead of Castle) run through Dalkey via Sorrento road, and climb from Dalkey all the way to the Obelisk again. That w ill be a tough climb with tiredness in your legs. When you get used to that you can add another climb at the end, a steep one that you'll have to walk. But try your plan first and then progress from there.

You can do some of the long runs on flattish ground either but those weeks do the secondary run on hills that week.

Just add 15 mins or so a week. Best gains by sustainable increses.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Does anyone have any info on the 10K part of this race. I am training for a half and the full so I can run distance OK but since its my first trail/mountain run, I will opt for the 10k instead. I went for a trail run over the weekend and its very different to the road and I needed a lot more effort so think its the right decision for me. So my question is, how is the 10K? Is it very hilly? Should I wear trail runners? Or is it mostly on tarmac?

Thanks!

audreyp wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on the 10K part of this race. I am training for a half and the full so I can run distance OK but since its my first trail/mountain run, I will opt for the 10k instead. I went for a trail run over the weekend and its very different to the road and I needed a lot more effort so think its the right decision for me. So my question is, how is the 10K? Is it very hilly? Should I wear trail runners? Or is it mostly on tarmac?

Thanks!

It starts from the wicklow gap so all downhill with 1 hill inside last 3 miles. You can wear road runners but trail runners are better.
    If you can run the distance then the 21k is fine and you might be kicking yourself for not doing it. Youll find 10k very verye asy and it wont really help youre marathon training.

The pacing is different for trail races that's all. Just start nice and easy. Objective is to get to the top of the big climb (where 10k starts) and youre sorted.

Look at last years results and photos. Range of finishing times is from 90 mins to 4 hours. Just take it handy until the wicklow gap and you'll finish in good nick. The 21k is one of the most beautiful races in the country. Just be ultra cautious with regards pace for the first half and its in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did it two years ago and loved it. lovely weather helped too. Very tough I thought but great atmosphere from everyone doing it.

T runner wrote: »

Heres the profile. Try and make the long run resemble this as you extend it:

rjwz.jpg
    289743.jpg

I got out on Saturday for a good run around Killiney/Dalkey, 17.5km in 2hr 5min.
    as this stage I'm thinking abotu doing the Marathon ;)

Thanks all! I'll keep the mileage up and think about doing the half! Definitely doing either one anyway as it is a great cause and it sounds amazing!! Ted1 I would be a similar speed to you and hoping to do the marathon too this year. Good luck with it if you decide to do it too!

Thanks all! I'll keep the mileage up and think about doing the half! Definitely doing either one anyway as it is a great cause and it sounds amazing!! Ted1 I would be a similar speed to you and hoping to do the marathon too this year. Good luck with it if you decide to do it too!

Come on you know you want to do the half. It doesn't sound like the ten would be challenge.

Thanks all! I'll see how the next two long runs go! I might be tempted to do the half now. If you see a girl crawling up the hill, that will probably be me!! :)

Entered this and Cottage booked with family nearby for the weekend.
    Looking forward to it. Time to start modifying a few of the long runs and medium long runs to suit the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Have registered for this too. 1 hill repeat and 1 mountain long run session per week should see me fit.

• Advertisement

How are the Wicklow hills after all the recent weather? Sloppy, snow? Haven't been in Leinster in a good while now!

Looking forward to this now. Anyone know what the route is? Is it a one-way route along the Wicklow Way?

Good luck guys

Enjoyed today, finally sitting down with a beer.
    I didn't expect the course to be as trailly as it was managed a time of 2 hour 38 which is a PB for me in distance alone. Next time I'll be more prepared deffo got the bug.

Well done to all. I smiled when the sun came out as they read the poem at the start.

I did the 10Km and it was very tough, you think with a name like the Wicklow Mountains run I would know it meant running down a mountain!!! :) I expected mostly gravel paths and less jumping from boulder to boulder, through mud and rivers and up that almost vertical ascent at the end!!!

I enjoyed it though! Just don't think my body has quite forgiven me. On the plus side the Great Ireland 10k will seem like a doddle!! And good prep for my Wexford Half in April.

Thanks all for the advice!

I did the 10Km and it was very tough, you think with a name like the Wicklow Mountains run I would know it meant running down a mountain!!! :) I expected mostly gravel paths and less jumping from boulder to boulder, through mud and rivers and up that almost vertical ascent at the end!!!

I enjoyed it though! Just don't think my body has quite forgiven me. On the plus side the Great Ireland 10k will seem like a doddle!! And good prep for my Wexford Half in April.

Thanks all for the advice!

Well done all, the ground conditions were tough enough.

I think the 10k route is a lot more difficult than a typical 10k trail race Audrey. The most treacherous part of the route is the first 800m of running down to the forest. I fell 4 times before getting past the forest onto the better ground, and im an experienced hill runner and was wearing trail shoes. I ended up having to get stitches in loughlinstown hospital a few hours after with a lot of leg bruising (crutches today)

I remember we crossed a road after a few minutes. The race could start 400m down that road to take the eagerness out of the runners and remove the first few minutes of dangerous descending out of it. Its not an issue for the 21kers who are warmed up, spread out and have their eye in. Going to send them an email with that suggestion.

Apart from that, kts a great route, a long descent down into beautiful Glendasan and the bery tough climb near the end. Always a super buzz and great cause and ill be lining up again next year, hopefully in the 21k.

T runner wrote: »
    Well done all, the ground conditions were tough enough.

I think the 10k route is a lot more difficult than a typical 10k trail race Audrey. The most treacherous part of the route is the first 800m of running down to the forest. I fell 4 times before getting past the forest onto the better ground, and im an experienced hill runner and was wearing trail shoes. I ended up having to get stitches in loughlinstown hospital a few hours after with a lot of leg bruising (crutches today)

I remember we crossed a road after a few minutes. The race could start 400m down that road to take the eagerness out of the runners and remove the first few minutes of dangerous descending out of it. Its not an issue for the 21kers who are warmed up, spread out and have their eye in. Going to send them an email with that suggestion.

Apart from that, kts a great route, a long descent down into beautiful Glendasan and the bery tough climb near the end. Always a super buzz and great cause and ill be lining up again next year, hopefully in the 21k.

It was a great route and great fun! Though sounds like you had a tough time of it yourself! I did the avondale 10k a couple of weeks ago which was 50% trail and that was soo much easier! I though it would have been good prep for the Debra Ireland 10K but I don't think anything could have prepared me for that! My calves are still in bits today even after a wee recovery run yesterday. Hopefully a light swim today will help!

I enjoyed it though and would definitely consider doing the race again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Though sounds like you had a tough time of it yourself!

He's a modest lad, given that he won his race by over 5 minutes (Well done T!!)

Seriously?? :) Well done!!
    I survived it (barely!) :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement