Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why doesn't boiler collapse?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

shane0007 wrote: »
    These are the type of threads I enjoy most. It's where I learn most when everything is thrown out there & bashed from all angles.

It's now even better since I now have an income generated from it. Thanks for the details.

see lads theres no such thing as a free lunch with the Kilkenny boys ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Negative pressure/vacume is the biggest cause of heated plastic pipe kinking on a bend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

scudo2 wrote: »
    Negative pressure/vacume is the biggest cause of heated plastic pipe kinking on a bend.

So it's nothing to do with just the heat then?

So it's nothing to do with just the heat then?

Heat soften the pipe,but will not shrink it, slight vacume affect causes it to shrink internal and kink. In my poor humble common layman opinion. !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lads you're all over complicating things. Just follow this simple basic formula and it'll solve all your questions. It doesn't get simpler than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lads you're all over complicating things. Just follow this simple basic formula and it'll solve all your questions. It doesn't get simpler than this

thank god somebody posted something I could understand ;)

Sorry but that formula is slightly outdated. It had been found back in 1997, a critical error was discovered. Instead of 1/2p, 7/8p should be used. This allows for the slight thermal bridging caused by the flux capacitor during the allowance factor considered for L + 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Wearb wrote: »
    I have reread the above lots of times and am having difficulty understanding it. I sometimes hit a brick wall like this when trying to understand some things. I will reread it later after thinking about it for a while.

Here is where my line of thought is at present. If you fill a metal can (lets say a jerry can) with hot water and cap it. Then let it cool. Is there not negative pressure in the can when it cools?

It seems this has been solved by some science :rolleyes:
    but, could it be as simple as this, in the jerry can example, you fill it with cold water, ie start with cold water? then heat it, causing expansion, (not start with hot water, which upon cooling would contract anyway) if the pressure exceeds the PRV set pressure, then the expanded volume is vented, returning to the same or a negligible difference in pressure. Or has this been suggested?

Out of curiosity, are there negative pressure relief valves for plumping that vent or fill, to prevent a negative pressure occuring in other areas, such as tanks which seem to be more susceptible to buckling under certain conditions or maybe in larger systems, Im not a plumber, just curious, although Ive come across Messrs Boyle and Charles.

Also, Is this Pressure Law mentioned not some version of Charles Law?
    Ive not really heard of the pressure law, whats proportional to what?

I just looked it up and obviously it must be temp and pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sorry but that formula is slightly outdated. It had been found back in 1997, a critical error was discovered. Instead of 1/2p, 7/8p should be used. This allows for the slight thermal bridging caused by the flux capacitor during the allowance factor considered for L + 1.

The flux capacitor only activates at 88 mph Shane!!

• Advertisement

The flux capacitor only activates at 88 mph Shane!!

Not always, 'cos I overtook one in me Transit Connect! Either that or he was low on garbage.
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Not always, 'cos I overtook one in me Transit Connect! Either that or he was low on garbage.
    :-)
    Tis just as well you overtook him!,He would have put you into negative pressure if he put the pedal to the metal

This is a job for a "shrink" !!! at this stage of the debate !

I charge €120-00 ph

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do all threads degrade like this??
    That is what happens when you turn your back and go for a few black ones. No smutty comments please.:cool:

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement