Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill flooding re_ insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2014 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

forgive me if my enquire is naïve but someone close to me parked their car in the aquarium car park a week before xmas , car was completely destroyed by resulting flood , they did not park in the nearby car park which has several signs highlighting flood risk , I was talking to some of the staff in the " Arabica " café the following day and they mentioned that if you were parked in the aquarium car park " you were ok "

a vague statement but might they have implied that the state would cover any loss to property in the event of a flood like happened ?

this person I refer to had car insurance but is out of pocket in other ways and cant exactly afford any kind of replacement

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How could the State be liable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

spare_arm wrote: »
    forgive me if my enquire is naïve but someone close to me parked their car in the aquarium car park a week before xmas , car was completely destroyed by resulting flood , they did not park in the nearby car park which has several signs highlighting flood risk , I was talking to some of the staff in the " Arabica " café the following day and they mentioned that if you were parked in the aquarium car park " you were ok "

a vague statement but might they have implied that the state would cover any loss to property in the event of a flood like happened ?

this person I refer to had car insurance but is out of pocket in other ways and cant exactly afford any kind of replacement

The car was insured, claim off the insurance. What on earth made them think it was ok to park on the other side of the big warning signs they saw??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Your own insurance....sorry, you're friend's* insurance will have to cover this. There is no way the state will cover the loss to a private vehicle that is insured, nor would they cover the vehicles if the insurer deemed that the liability layed with the owner rather than the insurer. Insurance is designed for such an issue, however if the insurer will pay out, say goodbye to the no claims bonus and expect that the premium will be heavily increased at the next renewal

I can't beleive people were foolish enough to park there during the flood warnings which were we'll known and signed. Even more foolish to expect the state to pick up the tab for this. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spare_arm

snubbleste wrote: »
    How could the State be liable :confused:

so you don't know either , know how you feel , the café staff planted the idea in my mind , this person I refer to actually visited the aquarium that afternoon , not like they parked there and went off shopping in town

ratracer wrote: »
    The car was insured, claim off the insurance. What on earth made them think it was ok to park on the other side of the big warning signs they saw??

A combination of idiots and those clever enough to try and run an insurance scam! It never entered my mind that people might try and scam a free car from the government but the OP clearly thinks parking in salthill during the floods might entitle someone to a free car :rolleyes:
    so you don't know either , know how you feel , the café staff planted the idea in my mind , this person I refer to actually visited the aquarium that afternoon , not like they parked there and went off shopping in town

snubbleste was being rhetorical, the Government will not replace the car. That's one of the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever heard!

Also, high tide occured when the aquarium was closed! Good luck trying to convice the insurer otherwise! Your "friend" was not in the aquarium during the flooding, that is a fact. So clearly they did park the car and go do something else, even if it was not "shopping".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Act of God.

Your friend should sue the Church.

ratracer wrote: »

they were in with kids in the aquarium when it happened and are not galway residents , they didn't park in the car park which has all those signs

I started this thread based on what one of the staff in the nearby café said , perhaps they were off base in what they said

zarquon wrote: »
    Your own insurance....sorry, you're friend's* insurance will have to cover this. There is no way the state will cover the loss to a private vehicle that is insured, nor would they cover the vehicles if the insurer deemed that the liability layed with the owner rather than the insurer. Insurance is designed for such an issue, however if the insurer will pay out, say goodbye to the no claims bonus and expect that the premium will be heavily increased at the next renewal

I can't beleive people were foolish enough to park there during the flood warnings which were we'll known and signed. Even more foolish to expect the state to pick up the tab for this. :rolleyes:

im not talking about myself , if you cant accept me at face value , not much I can say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Claim on the insurance. Nothing else you can do. Absolutely absurd to think the Government would fork out to compensate people for their utter stupidity in parking so close to the coast, so near to high tide when numerous weather alerts were broadcast specifically for the West coast at the time. Do insurance companies even compensate for this carry-on?

ok thanks for those views

thread can now be closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

I had to laugh at this. People (motorists) need to accept some self responsibility in this.
    I do have every sympathy though for residents and business owners hugely discommoded by Christine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

A friend of a friend worked for Galway Council for many years. Once, there was heavy flooding predicted for Salthill area and they were worried about a few cars in the car park near Salthill village.

Fair play to the council lads, they got a forklift and carried out about 6 cars from the car park to the main road where they were safe from the floods that did fill the car park later.

Would you credit, a week or two later, the council got some photos of damage that the forklift had done to some of the cars and a request for money to repair them! Thankfully, the chancers got nothing, but the letter was enough to make sure that the same unasked for help was never given again. Imagine the hullabaloo that would have been caused if they forked the cars to safety and the flood didn't come!

edanto wrote: »
    A friend of a friend worked for Galway Council for many years. Once, there was heavy flooding predicted for Salthill area and they were worried about a few cars in the car park near Salthill village.

Fair play to the council lads, they got a forklift and carried out about 6 cars from the car park to the main road where they were safe from the floods that did fill the car park later.

Would you credit, a week or two later, the council got some photos of damage that the forklift had done to some of the cars and a request for money to repair them! Thankfully, the chancers got nothing, but the letter was enough to make sure that the same unasked for help was never given again. Imagine the hullabaloo that would have been caused if they forked the cars to safety and the flood didn't come!

That's aweful. Some people really do deserve everything that's coming to them. The inability of people to accept responsibility for their own stupidity is shocking in some cases such as the OP who expects the government to pick up the tab for someone stupidly parking in a floodzone.

I am utterly convinced that amongst the genuine car victims of the floods that there are some individuals who parked there on purpose as part of an insurance scam, the same type of people who would claim damages from the council for moving their cars from the floodzone!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"Ok" in this case means that cos they weren't in the carpark with the signs, their insurance will most likely pay out, instead of telling them to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

OP the state definitely do not cover cars under any circumstance like this no more than they cover businesses when they flood. At the time it happened one city councillor suggested maybe the council should hire a tow truck to remove cars from these carparks when flooding was about to occur and then charge car owners to recover their cars from the pound. This was in no way suggested because the council or state was liable,it was intended people would pay dearly to recover their car. Maybe that bit of info about the council recovering cars confused someone who advised you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement