Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feature walls

• 16-01-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations/info/ website links in relation to feature walls?

Bought a house last year and would like to get painting those grubby loooking walls this Spring. I would thinking of painting the majority of the internal walls in cream to have a nice "flow" through the house and then having a colour wall in some of the rooms for a pop of colour.

Are there guidelines as to what wall in the room should have the colour in terms of positioning of doors, windows, natural daylight etc? Does it look ok to have just one wall of colour in a room? I am not very creative and am finding hard to imagine in my head if it would actually look nice or right?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 shamanpriest

Feature wall is simply a wall within a room that is the major focus within the room. For example in the living room the chimney breast (wall around the fire place) is a feature wall, the wall most looked at whilst sitting in or using the room.

In the bedroom the wall that the head of the bed rests against is considered the feature wall and is usually picked out in a different colour to the other walls.

Regarding the use of colour: Use lighter (pale) colours in rooms that have poor natural light (E.G. Light reds or pinks, L.blues, L/greens etc) in rooms with good to excellent natural light (Large windows, sky lights) it's usually safe to us the darker colours.

Hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Does it look ok to have just one wall of colour in a room? I am not very creative and am finding hard to imagine in my head if it would actually look nice or right?![/quote]

Yes, one feature wall picked out in colour can look great. Keep all the other walls a neutral colour and keep in mind the colours of your soft furnishings before choosing paint for each room.

You can use wallpaper on a feature wall too.

Go to your local paint shop and ask for some brochures. These will give you some inspiration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're after a feature wall think about wall murals, I'm thinking about getting this for my main living room wall that all the sofas point towards.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silbermans-Brooklyn-Bridge-Photography-366x254cm/dp/B001UT6TK0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1390636381&sr=8-16&keywords=new+york+wallpaper

That particular example is not for everyone but there is hundreds of other choices out there. And for only €30 it's money well spent given the effect you'll end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wind In The Willows

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you're after a feature wall think about wall murals,.

Was thinking of a wall mural for feature wall in bedroom but having second thoughts - much easier to repaint a wall if I get tired of the feature wall (paint) colour rather than stripping wall covering and then applying paint or replacing the mural ? In fact, would like it do loads if wallpaper throughout the house ( much cosier looking I think )! but some would argue against wallpapering good surface colour neutral walls rather than a nice creative colour scheme ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Susan_h

We love this type of setup in our living room. The wooden map became the crown piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

That’s cool. I’ve been looking for something like that. Where did you get that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Susan_h

I'm glad you like it! It's an amazin work of art. The smell of wood when I opened the package...hmm You have to experience it.

I bought it from here: woodenworldmap/dot/net

(For some reason, I can't share a link, so I had to write like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jcon

Advertisement