Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of a strange one...

• 16-01-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

My son's mobile was stolen from him yesterday. It was done in a threatening way as he got off the schoolbus. I called the mobile provider to block the SIM and phone and gave a statement to the guards (along with IMEI number).

Last night, a picture of two children was posted on my son's facebook page (the phone was linked to it). This was obviously posted by the toerag who stole the phone or to someone he sold it to. One of my son's friends took a screenshot of the post. The post has since been deleted.

Is there anyway I can stop this guy using the phone? I know we won't get it back - although the bus company and guards said they would check the CCTV.

Is there any more precautions we should take? I really don't want this to happen to another kid.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorry to hear that OP. Firstly I would suggest you get your son to change passwords for accounts like Facebook etc...

Some phones can be locked, wiped, or tracked, but depends on the phone it was, and if you had set it up. You might want to consider this when replacing the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Davy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that OP. Firstly I would suggest you get your son to change passwords for accounts like Facebook etc...

Some phones can be locked, wiped, or tracked, but depends on the phone it was, and if you had set it up. You might want to consider this when replacing the phone

Thanks so much Davy. It was an iPhone 4....we won't obviously be getting another as a replacement!
    I am just seething (not about the phone), but the manner in which it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The iPhone does have a find my phone feature to track it, but it would have to be setup. You will find for info about it in the apple device forum:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

Dont forgot to change appleID password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Change the apple ID password
    Change the Facebook password

Change passwords for ANYTHING THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE, such as email, snapchat, etc.

Then go through the Facebook friends list, and take note of anyone there that the child doesn't know, as they may have added themselves or friends to the childs FB friends list.

the_syco wrote: »

Change passwords for ANYTHING THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE, such as email, snapchat, etc.

Then go through the Facebook friends list, and take note of anyone there that the child doesn't know, as they may have added themselves or friends to the childs FB friends list.

Done! We couldn't find anybody new on the Facebook account. For some reason, I think maybe my friend, the toe rag, thought that he was posting on his own account, but realised his mistake.

Weird, but I have a picture of his kids......hope this doesn't happen to them when they're older.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

And thank you! It's been a lesson. We will all have phones not worth stealing from now on....any recommendations?:o

Advertisement