Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a court ruling related to Eircom's recent (<48hours) block of KickAss Torre

Options
  • 16-01-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I know TPB was blocked several years back because of a court ruling, but I've heard no such news related to KickAss. Was this a court decision or a pre-emptive one by Eircom?
    Being honest, if the latter, Sky have probably just gained a new customer. Being forced by the courts to implement internet censorship is one thing, but without an adjacent court ruling it's not something that can be defended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sanjo

I know TPB was blocked several years back because of a court ruling, but I've heard no such news related to KickAss. Was this a court decision or a pre-emptive one by Eircom?
    Being honest, if the latter, Sky have probably just gained a new customer. Being forced by the courts to implement internet censorship is one thing, but without an adjacent court ruling it's not something that can be defended.
    Would like to know the answer to that too,will be looking for a another company for broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just happened to fall onto this post on the main splash page, I'm aware its Eircom but I checked Kickass on my Magnet and low and behold I get this :

https://www.magnet.ie/fatpipe-fibre-blog/2013/09/16/accessing-pirate-bay-in-ireland-under-new-judgment/

So it seems that it is now blocked by Magnet also with the same ruling as tpb one....

Its fairly easy to get around with proxies etc but I shouldn't have to.... :(

just search for mirrors of the same sites....  google "<site name> mirrors". problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I was just on kickassunblock.com, presumably a sister site. There also appears to be an App.

These guys are p1ssing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just to clarify, I have no problem whatsoever with knowing how to circumvent such a block, I simply have a problem with internet censorship in principle regardless of how easy it may be to circumvent, and therefore whether or not it was Eircom's decision as opposed to coercion from courts etc is crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

The record labels came knocking in early 2009, Eircom decided to fight but that only lasted about 9 months before they voluntarily blocked The Pirate Bay in September 2009. The others, like UPC, fought the record labels in the courts until it was ruled this summer that it will be blocked by every internet company in Ireland.

Eircom are a money-before-customer-satisfaction company, so it's no surprise they caved in 4 years before the others. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The record labels came knocking in early 2009, Eircom decided to fight but that only lasted about 9 months before they voluntarily blocked The Pirate Bay in September 2009. The others, like UPC, fought the record labels in the courts until it was ruled this summer that it will be blocked by every internet company in Ireland.

Eircom are a money-before-customer-satisfaction company, so it's no surprise they caved in 4 years before the others. 
    The record labels brought action against Eircom. Eircom settled, rather than fight the case. Part of the terms of settlement was to the effect that Pirate Bay would be blocked. In that regard, it's more a case that Eircom folded than having voluntarily blocked Pirate Bay. It is bound by the settlement that it made.

I'm not defending Eircom, by any means.

Advertisement