Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying far too much..

Options
  • 16-01-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi, I'm paying far too much for my Eircom phone and broadband package and am wondering is there any way to get a price in line with the service I'm actually receiving? My bill comes to a total of €114.62~ per month, broken down to this is for Eircom talk anytime which is an awful, awful deal for €65 and €49.58 for upto 5mb 'broadband' (hovers at around 2mb at the best of times). Paying that amount of money for the services on offer is utterly despicable and honestly the only reason I'm still an Eircom customer is because it's the only service I can get in my area.

So folks, help me out.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Are you not on any package deal? Are you in contract with them? I'd be ringing them up and threatening cancellation at those prices. Are you absolutely sure you can't get any other provider? No harm giving them a call if you're out of contract....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Necrominus wrote: »
    Are you not on any package deal? Are you in contract with them? I'd be ringing them up and threatening cancellation at those prices. Are you absolutely sure you can't get any other provider? No harm giving them a call if you're out of contract....
    That is the package deal which makes it even worse. As far as I'm aware I'm contracted but if I could get out for a cheaper option I'd pay the cancellation fee in a heartbeat. I live in rural Donegal and I'm really not sure, I'm living with my parents(I pay half the bill) and they're reluctant to change but for no real good reason other than being older. Pretty sure they're working on the lines today in my area because I saw them this morning and they were working in the local depot last night, the internet was shut off for about 2 hours. Here's hoping they might actually be upgrading the line but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Hi, I'm paying far too much for my Eircom phone and broadband package and am wondering is there any way to get a price in line with the service I'm actually receiving? My bill comes to a total of €114.62~ per month, broken down to this is for Eircom talk anytime which is an awful, awful deal for €65 and €49.58 for upto 5mb 'broadband' (hovers at around 2mb at the best of times). Paying that amount of money for the services on offer is utterly despicable and honestly the only reason I'm still an Eircom customer is because it's the only service I can get in my area.

So folks, help me out.

Hi OdgeXD

The prices you have quoted sound as though you are billed every two months (bi-monthly) have you checked the dates of the billing period to check this yet?

I've discussed this with our billing team and they have advised that even if this is a bi-monthly bill they feel they may be able to offer you much better value should you like to contact them on free phone 1901 (when you dial 1901 please enter your landline number and chose options 4 and 3 when prompted)

In relation to the download speeds you are experiencing please feel free to PM me your landline number and I'll see if there is a possibility of something faster for you.

Thanks

Al

Yeah sorry I should have stated it's bi-monthly, sorry about that. It's still much too expensive. I'll send on the PM, thanks for the response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That is the package deal which makes it even worse. As far as I'm aware I'm contracted but if I could get out for a cheaper option I'd pay the cancellation fee in a heartbeat. I live in rural Donegal and I'm really not sure, I'm living with my parents(I pay half the bill) and they're reluctant to change but for no real good reason other than being older. Pretty sure they're working on the lines today in my area because I saw them this morning and they were working in the local depot last night, the internet was shut off for about 2 hours. Here's hoping they might actually be upgrading the line but I doubt it.

No harm in contacting a few companies to find out your options IMO. All you'd need as far as I know is your phone number/ address. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »

No harm in contacting a few companies to find out your options IMO. All you'd need as far as I know is your phone number/ address. Good luck!

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]Hi OdgeXD[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]The very max speed your exchange can offer is up to 8MB. I'm aware that up to 24MB may be used in advertisements promoting eircom broadband however this is why the term 'up to' is used as speeds depend on the strength of the line and if the exchange is upgraded to offer this speed.[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]In your case your exchange cannot offer faster than 8mb and at present there are no plans scheduled to improve this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]More plans will be made in June so best advice I can offer is to check back with me in  June-July and I'll check this for you again.[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]Al[/font]

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3246525015

Pretty sure there's no reason at all for me to be throttled. What on earth am I paying for?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3246525015

Pretty sure there's no reason at all for me to be throttled. What on earth am I paying for?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi OdgeXD[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I've double checked this and noticed eircom are not throttling your speeds - Your speeds are as follows:[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Synced at: 3072kbps[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Provisioned: 160-3072kbps[/font]
    You have previously mentioned speeds hovered around 2MB but I can understand the above speed result you posted is quite slow. Considering this I have conducted tests on your line where I can clearly see there are no external faults. I can also see that your internal connection (set up at socket) also seems fine.

I have discussed this with the technical support team who have advised me to ask you to contact them when the speeds get this bad again as they would need to conduct live tests over a call with you. [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Broadband technical support can be reached on free phone 1901 enter your number when requested then choose option 3 then 2 when prompted or alternatively 1890260260.

Thanks

Al[/font]

Advertisement