Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a mobile phone

Options
  • 16-01-2014 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27

If this is more suited to the mobile phones board then please move.

Is insuring a phone worth it? I generally regard insurance as a bit of a scam industry that preys on paranoid people, but I appreciate that it provides peace of mind at the very least.

MobileCover.ie charge €54 a year to insure a €180 handset agaisnt damage & theft. If you want to cover loss then it's €65 although in practise I'm not sure if there's much distinction between theft and loss (not suggesting fraud of course).

Does anyone have experience with the above insurer, or any alternatives and is it worth it should you ever have to make a claim? I dont have house insurance so cannot add it to any policy there.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Your network provider might have insurance you can purchase through them. I'm with 3 and I took out insurance when I got the handset. In my case I got the handset free because I had just signed up to a new plan, however if I were to buy the phone outright it would have cost €500 odd at the time (it's a galaxy s3) I knew there was no way I could afford to replace it if it broke or was lost/stolen so the insurance was worth it to me. Mine is €12.99 per month and I think the company is Pier Insurance. I think they're the provider for PhoneSure, and I've found them very good to deal with.

It really paid off for me because I had to get my screen replaced during the summer when my husband and toddler managed to crack it in a team effort :rolleyes: and had I not had the insurance it would have cost me about €260 just for the screen. My hubby also had to get his screen replaced a few months ago after he dropped the phone and the screen died. Again, it was insured so we avoided having to fork over €260 ish to have the screen replaced.

What I would say is if you can afford to replace your handset then I wouldn't bother with insurance, however with a lot of the high end models like iphones etc the outright buy cost if you have to replace before you're due an upgrade is absolutely huge. Make sure you read the small print of the insurance policy though, to be sure it covers what you need it to. Some have a limit to how many claims you can make in a certain period of time, so for example if you get your phone repaired under the policy and then you lose it within 12 months of the damage claim, you might not be able to claim for the loss within that period.

Advertisement