Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed With Knife Repair

Options
  • 16-01-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

This Buck 110 (possibly copy) was my Grandfather's and was handed down to me after his death in 1994. I gave it some rough use through my teens and the blade was blunt / stained with tree sap etc. My father in law picked it up one day and decided to do me a "favour" and sharpened it for me on a rough grinding stone and left it in a heap; deeply scuffed and pretty much ruined....

A boards member kindly helped me out last year and polished up the blade a little but the problem is that the father in law ground off the bit marked with the arrow which means that when I close the knife the blade is coming in contact with the internals and it's chipping it so the edge is being ruined.

Can anyone advise me on whether or not a weld or something could sort this or if the blade could be polished up like new again? I don't care if material muct be ground away I would just like to use this knife in the field again and not see it gathering dust as it means a lot to me despite it's minimal monitary value.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Robotack wrote: »
    This Buck 110 (possibly copy) was my Grandfather's and was handed down to me after his death in 1994. I gave it some rough use through my teens and the blade was blunt / stained with tree sap etc. My father in law picked it up one day and decided to do me a "favour" and sharpened it for me on a rough grinding stone and left it in a heap; deeply scuffed and pretty much ruined....

A boards member kindly helped me out last year and polished up the blade a little but the problem is that the father in law ground off the bit marked with the arrow which means that when I close the knife the blade is coming in contact with the internals and it's chipping it so the edge is being ruined.

Can anyone advise me on whether or not a weld or something could sort this or if the blade could be polished up like new again? I don't care if material muct be ground away I would just like to use this knife in the field again and not see it gathering dust as it means a lot to me despite it's minimal monitary value.

Any help much appreciated.

Buck have a lifetime warranty on their knives, e-mail them they might help you out,their customer service is very good, I snapped a blade a while back sent it too them and a new one arrived in the post,no questions asked.Try them you might be surprised, tell them your story. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

As said they do stand bye their knifes and will almost certainly replace it but if it's sentimental you'll probably want to keep it so maybe a drop of solder in the gap at the pivot end would.
    The high temperature of the weld could bind the lot together turning it into a fixed blade:)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I do believe it's a copy rather than an actual buck so I doubt they'd entertain me. Plus I wouldn't send it away in case it went astray. Also, I'm sure even if it was genuine Buck, I'm certain their warranty covers manufacturing defects rather than use / abuse.... mine was certainly abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Could you post a pic of a knife as it should be ? I'm happy to help you I do tig welding and blending of aircraft parts every day so I don't see this being any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Rather than try to weld metal to the blade where it was ground down could you not drop a dot of solder into the knife body, placing it where the ground off bit should hit....that way the solder dropped in would raise the sharpened edge, avoid contact with the metal in the hande, which dulls the edge.

if you drop a blob here on the inside....it may work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Could you post a pic of a knife as it should be ? I'm happy to help you I do tig welding and blending of aircraft parts every day so I don't see this being any problem.

BUCK110huntinglockknife.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Good thinking JR. Thanks Tackleberry also for the offer... Is solder so soft that the action of the blade closing on it might compress it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Ya this should be an easy fix.. I'm in CoClare how's this suit you.

Advertisement