Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver and Golden Tattoo

Options
  • 16-01-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I've finally decided to make my 1st tattoo this month, silvery crows with golden wolves on my wrist, the problem so far is that some friends are telling me that its dangerous to make a silver/golden tattoo because of the ink components.

I made some research about tattooing ink on the web but i've read so many bad things that that must be seriously outdated not to mention that i've read in some threads that nowadays the ink from vegetable origin.

Can you give me some infos regarding this issue please?
    Thanks =)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hesthea wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I've finally decided to make my 1st tattoo this month, silvery crows with golden wolfs on my wrist, the problem so far is that some friends are telling me that its dangerous to make a silver/golden tattoo because of the ink components.

I made some research about tattooing ink on the web but i've read so many bad things that that must be seriously outdated not to mention that i've read in some threads that nowadays the ink from vegetable origin.

Can you give me some infos regarding this issue please?
    Thanks =)

You need to go and talk to a shop.

Ink these days isn't the same as it was years ago. The good inks have been certified safe for human use and come with MSDS certificates. There are inks that have been EU approved and inks that havent (mainly really cheap brands)
    Well its not actually the inks that have been approved but the ingredients.

If you are worried about it go and ask in a shop what inks they use and then see if they are on the EU certified list.

Now in saying that and bear it in mind.No tattoo inks has ever been approved by the FDA in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

There are no metallic/glittered inks.

But imagine there was. The sparkly effect from metallic inks comes from light being reflected off individual particles at different angles. Once these particles are placed under a matte, semi-translucent surface (ie skin) the light would no longer be reflected.

Plus I think a particle big enough to reflect appreciably would also be large enough to be a massive irritant to the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

There are no metallic/glittered inks.

But imagine there was. The sparkly effect from metallic inks comes from light being reflected off individual particles at different angles. Once these particles are placed under a matte, semi-translucent surface (ie skin) the light would no longer be reflected.

Plus I think a particle big enough to reflect appreciably would also be large enough to be a massive irritant to the skin.

That's for sure and that is something i do not want. The silvery effected can be obtained with a light grey (or so i hope).
    I saw a guy with a golden and emerald green serpent tattooed on his arm and the colors were amazing. Talked with him about it (colors, pain degree, places where i could make one...) and in the end he gave me the card of the shop where he made his (and he had a few). Going there again next week to talk with them about the colors issue and about the way i want my tattoo done.

Thanks for the replies ;)

Advertisement