Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What entitlement do I have

Options
  • 16-01-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

On Christmas Eve I bought my Mam a coat from a UK chain based in Ireland. Four days later she tried to change it for a smaller size but the girl in the shop said she couldn't do this and to call back in two days. She returned two days later but was told they wouldn't change, exchange or give a refund on the coat.

The coat had all its tags, was never worn and I had the visa receipt with the shops name and date of purchase on it. So I looked on the consumer website as the fact that I didn't have the actual receipt seemed to be the only logical reason for refusing to change it. The website said that a bank stmt showing the purchase would suffice as proof. I told her to go back and relay this information to the shop assistant but again it fell on deaf ears. And she was told there is only a couple of days grace on exchange even though she tried to change it the second day the shop opened after Christmas.

My Mam would be in no way argumentative but I was livid when I heard today she was refused for the third time and the assistant was quite rude as well. This also involved three 40km round trips for my Mam.

I'm going to try and sort this out on Sat but I just want to know am I missing anything? I've got a perfect coat with tags and my visa receipt with store name, date and amount.

Any advice really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Don't think you have any comeback as nothing wrong with the coat. Some shops will exchange but that's at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

You have no entitlement, they don't have to exchange it, although it's very unusual for a company not to exchange it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

You have no entitlement, they don't have to exchange it, although it's very unusual for a company not to exchange it

Its not really unnusual. Lots of chain stores do have a return policy but its a mistake to presume that they do.
    As stated OP you don't have any entitlement in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Its not really unnusual. Lots of chain stores do have a return policy but its a mistake to presume that they do.
    As stated OP you don't have any entitlement in this case.

Most would do an exchange providing they still stock the item and have the size in stock, but they don't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Legally, no right to an exchange.

But as the store does exchanges, what reason did thye give?

Was it reduced already?
    And she was told there is only a couple of days grace on exchange even though she tried to change it the second day the shop opened after Christmas.

The consumer website is only concerned with faulty items, so is of no help whatsoever with this issue.

Is the shop saying, they don't exchange or her time has run out or what, makes no sense?

Is it a concession in a dept store or a store on its own, or just what store is it! ?

I know Ann Harvey used to only do a 7 days return of all sale items but I can't even work out what the shops reason is for not returning the item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The best approach is to be very pleasant and ask to speak to whoever is in charge and be prepared to wait.
    Does it mention a returns policy on the receipt? If it does point it out the person in charge.
    If your not satisfied ask for contact details for customer services, get the name of whoever you have been dealing with,go home and write a brief concise letter including times dates and names, setting out your case.
    You may still end up empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What is the shops policy on exchanges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Go in and ask for the manager.

Politely ask "I wonder could you help me, this gift does not fit, can I have one that does"

You do not have any legal rights to demand anything in this instance so diplomacy is the answer. The only reason he would refuse this approach is if its company policy and his hands are tied.

I recall another thread recently along the the same lines that concerned forever21 or someone. It was head office rules and they were not allowed to do anything.

Good luck.

Advertisement