Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galvins Ladies Shop Tullamore

Options
  • 16-01-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Disappointed to hear that Galvins Ladies Shop in Tullamore is closing down after 30 years in business. The sale starts tomorrow.

I was in Tullamore over Christmas and was shocked by the number of empty shop units in the town centre. Its a great town but the heart was taken out of it when the large shopping area opened on the outskirts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Disappointed to hear that Galvins Ladies Shop in Tullamore is closing down after 30 years in business. The sale starts tomorrow.

I was in Tullamore over Christmas and was shocked by the number of empty shop units in the town centre. Its a great town but the heart was taken out of it when the large shopping area opened on the outskirts.

The traffic in town centre is bad enough so the retail park beside the bypass is a godsend in my book.

Try shopping for clothes online and you'll quickly learn we've been screwed by local clothes shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Try shopping for clothes online and you'll quickly learn we've been screwed by local clothes shops.

Online is not necessarily cheaper especially for clothes but if you are not frequenting the local shops then you'll never know that...and buying clothes online to discover that they don't suit you or fit properly is no saving at all.

Support your local retailers where possible otherwise your local town will wither away.

The local planning authorities have a lot to answer for. The out of town retail park should never have been granted permission so far removed from the centre of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The traffic in town centre is bad enough so the retail park beside the bypass is a godsend in my book.

Online shopping is grand but you still can't beat trying on clothes in a bricks and mortar shop to see how they fit.

Sorry to see Galvins go but not all the surprised, seemed their custom had fallen off in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Online is not necessarily cheaper especially for clothes but if you are not frequenting the local shops then you'll never know that...and buying clothes online to discover that they don't suit you or fit properly is no saving at all.

Support your local retailers where possible otherwise your local town will wither away.

The local planning authorities have a lot to answer for. The out of town retail park should never have been granted permission so far removed from the centre of town.

I like the retail park location, I can drive to it around the bypass so not getting stuck in the evening town centre traffic,, I think it's good planning. The town centre is not capable of high traffic volumes and parking in town centre is difficult enough as it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

shame to see it go - so soon after the major renovation as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 The_Enquirer

Surprised the men's shop is still in business. Was in there on sat and the female staff member was extremely ignorant when I asked for assistance. Surprised they have any customers the way she addressed me as a potential customer. needless to say I took my business elsewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Always find the staff in galvins men's shop really nice. Between there and guy, I would buy a fair amount of stuff and have to say the staff in both, I've always been really pleased.

Advertisement