Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just neutered my male rabbit.... Not eating pleae help!!

• 16-01-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I got my male rabbit nuetered yesterday. He hasn't touched food since. Brought him back to vets today and feeding him with a syringe. Terrified he's not going to recover. Anyone here have a rabbit with any problems like this? I've a stack of veggies and pellets left out but he's not at all interested...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is he drinking? That is the most important thing. If not, you should syringe some water in to him. Presumably the vet today gave him the 'all clear' (from an infection etc point of view)?I dont know about rabbits, but I would have thought the whole vet/anaesthetic/surgery/travelling experience would be quite traumatic. As long as he is not getting dehydrated, let him rest and recover and hopefully he will be back on form for you very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I remember reading something before that you need to get a rabbit back eating ASAP after a surgery to prevent the digestive system from shutting down, so it may be that you need to force feed him to get things going again. I'm no expert in rabbit care so maybe someone more experienced may be able to give you better advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I am feeding him through a syringe and got stuff to help bring hunger but so far just a very small nibble at some veggies. It is very important for them to be eating
    Was just hoping someone here may be through the same thing and round give me a good story :)

Another all mightier with my cranky bunny it will be I imagine :(
    Thanks for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, gut stasis is the problem if they're not eating.

Try him with some baby food - the pureed kind, vegetable variety - no meat content.

Advertisement