Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godfather gift

Options
  • 16-01-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a gift for my Godson's upcoming Christening and I'm having a little difficulty locating something suitable. One idea would be to get something that could be put aside for a few years (e.g. bank account setup, wine...) and got at on the child's 18th or failing that something a little quirky (e.g. pocket watch????) but to stay away from ideas such as away from the norm (hand/foot casts, picture frames etc).
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My daughter's godfather got her a little train and track set where the train was letters of her name. She plays with it a lot, she is nearly 3 now.

People got her prizebonds as well, but we managed to move house three times she was born and they are long lost unfortunetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Recently issued coins is one idea. I got some for my godson with some offline/real world advice from Blade over at the Collectibles and Antiques forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=394

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056826367

Central Bank site: http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/pages/coinsets.aspx

Do not buy any coins from dublinmintoffice.

He can sell them when he's 18 if he wants to fund a sex drugs and rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Hopefully they will have acquired a good bit of value by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HappyDancer

Thank you both for you suggestions. Hadn't thought about the coin so will follow up in a little more detail...

• Administrators Posts: 14,081 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Has he got a Christening Mug? You could buy that and have it engraved with his name and date of Christening on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My godfather got me a wine goblet engraved with my name and date of birth. And 28years later it is still on display in my cabinet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cobham

My son got a silver letter opener from godfather and a pewter tankard from an uncle which might have been engraved.

Actually, now that you mention it... The "Christening mug" I bought was actually a tankard! It was bigger (more room for engraving) and a fraction of the price of an actual christening mug!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HappyDancer

Cheers folks, tankard sounds likes a great idea....coins were a little too impersonal to the date/time (well the ones that I found),
    Thanks again for tips

If you are going to get the tankard let the parents know. Because we actually gave it to the priest on the day and he used it to christen our children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

When we were babies our grandparents bought all their grandchildren a porcelain shoe with our name/DOB/birth weight on it. They take pride of place at home. I think they're a great keepsake and I was looking at one for my own daughter and you can get really cute Converse esqe personalised porcelain shoes.

The bank account is a great idea too. Even if you put away €5 per week. I'm going to do that for my daughter. I'm hoping it'll be her college fund!

• Advertisement
Advertisement