Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifecoach/Career Coach

Options
  • 16-01-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for an excellent life/career coach. I've done a lot of research online but not really happy with what I'm seeing, and I'm aware it's a very unregulated industry!

Can anyone recommend someone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Would an Occupational Psychologist be of use?

Here's a brief description of what an OP does:
    What Does an Occupational Psychologist Do?

The services of occupational psychologists are in increasing demand. The expertise of a Chartered Occupational Psychologist lies in identifying and realising the full potential of people. Chartered Occupational Psychologists are concerned with the performance of people at work and in training, with developing an understanding of how organisations function and how individuals and groups behave at work.

Members of the BPS Division of Occupational Psychology are required to establish their competence in several areas.

identifying abilities and developing potential - through using tests and job-relevant exercises at selection, and in career counselling.
    motivating people - in designing payment and reward systems, and advising on health and safety issues.
    assessing performance both on and off the job - in designing appraisal systems, advising on stress management.
    helping people and organisations adapt to change - advising on how to change attitudes and behaviours to improve customer service.
    designing effective organisations - advising on the best type of management systems, identifying effective human resources strategies, and designing jobs to fit peoples' skills.

Several OP companies do career guidance etc - you probably could phone around and talk with a few to get an idea of what would suit you. It's a bit like finding a counsellor - one that suited someone else might not suit you. (See Finding a Therapist sticky)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Special_K

Thanks, yes, this sounds like a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I would appreciate any recommendations. I know that it is difficult to find the right person and it may end up a expensive mistake but I would really love to talk to someone. I have worked in credit control for a while even though I have trained in hotel and catering management. I was self employed for over a year but it did not work out so I am back working in credit control. I want however to get back into something like tourism in the next few years and I am prepared to study for it. I was supposed to get a call back last week from somebody in Claire Downes (metro writer) clearviewgroup but they did not bother which is disappointing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Micromary, we cannot recommend individuals here for the simple reason that someone who suits one person and their problems may not suit another. Besides, coaches are generally NOT psychologists or psychotherapists. That's why I mentioned Occupational Psychologists above.

Also, have you tried phoning or emailling the people you contacted again? The main reason I don't get back to people is that they leave their number so fast that I cannot understand it. They know their number and believe it's plain - but I don't know it, and when they rattle it off so fast, there's no way I can understand what they are saying.

JC

Advertisement