Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a Buffer Tank?

• 16-01-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, at a bit of a crossroads at the moment here. Would really appreciate some help.

Renovating an old stone house and am coming to the part where I need to start thinking about tanks. The house will be extremely well insulated and we are installing these "low water" aluminium radiators. Heating will be from gas boiler. We do not have Under floor heating.

We are thinking of installing a 40 tube solar panel and a plumber suggested that we should put up a 60 tube panel and get a buffer tank instead of a regular immersion tank.

This sounded like a great idea but I have asked different people about them since and they either don't know anything about them or say that it might not be a great idea.

Don't know what way to go now. From what I can gather most people who have them have UFH. Would a Buffer Tank be suitable for what we need? Is it unnecessary?

At the moment I am inclined to just go with the ordinary tank as I am afraid of putting something fancy in, something that I do not understand fully, and having it not work properly for me!

Would really appreciate if someone could let me know what they think. And maybe explain how the two tanks differ and what the advantages/disadvantages might be.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

ianjames1 wrote: »
    Hey, at a bit of a crossroads at the moment here. Would really appreciate some help.

Renovating an old stone house and am coming to the part where I need to start thinking about tanks. The house will be extremely well insulated and we are installing these "low water" aluminium radiators. Heating will be from gas boiler. We do not have Under floor heating.

We are thinking of installing a 40 tube solar panel and a plumber suggested that we should put up a 60 tube panel and get a buffer tank instead of a regular immersion tank.

This sounded like a great idea but I have asked different people about them since and they either don't know anything about them or say that it might not be a great idea.

Don't know what way to go now. From what I can gather most people who have them have UFH. Would a Buffer Tank be suitable for what we need? Is it unnecessary?

At the moment I am inclined to just go with the ordinary tank as I am afraid of putting something fancy in, something that I do not understand fully, and having it not work properly for me!

Would really appreciate if someone could let me know what they think. And maybe explain how the two tanks differ and what the advantages/disadvantages might be.

Many thanks

You should have a look at Thermodynamic panels or Air to Water heat pumps. You would have heat all year as long as the outside temp is above 0 degrees, compared to 6 or 7 months off the tubes.

Advertisement