Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please .

• 16-01-2014 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

hi all ...
    I plan on putting my boat back in the water in mid febuary what i would like to know is / do I need to service the outboard it,s a 70hp evinrude and can i do it myself and if so what do I have to do . I have enquired about having it serviced from a marina but the cost is way too high .
    thanks guy,s .

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Do you know when the impeller was last changed, if it's over two years it needs to be done also change the gear oil and check and clean your spark plugs, if the engine is running fine I would leave the rest alone just have a good look at all your wiring and connectors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I know that type of motor well Toshiba, and they are fairly reliable once looked after.
    What i recommend you do is drop the lower unit to check the impeller for cracks and wear. The gear linkage has to be disconnected under the bottom carb and there are 6 bolts to be undone on the lower unit for it to drop (one hidden under the trim tab).
    Also check the gear oil, if it looks milky then change the oil and the seals on the screws. grease it at linkages and see if it'll start.
    If the carbs weren't drained before you left it up for the winter then if may give some trouble starting/Idling.. if so come back on here and we'll get it sorted.

Looks like fergal got here before me....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭toshiba2010

thanks lad,s i had the boat winterized by the marina were it is he drained the carbs and put stabilizer in the remaining petrol .which i have no intention of using anyway . the outboard it, self is running like a swiss watch i used it all last season . but i do have a back up 8hp johnson which i did use last season which was not drained before it was stored what do i have to do with it because i am concerned about it starting this season . thanks lads

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Same as above, these are tough little engines and the fuel hasn't been sitting too long so I'd say it's fine stick it in a wheelie bin and see how she runs. Impellers, electrics and fuel are the main cause of engine failure so check them all.

Advertisement