Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Railways Video Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »

As for things of interest to photograph - perhaps when the Cork & Limerick Direct is rebuilt or the first passenger train on the rebuilt Burma Road ....:D

I would prefer an A class with a rake of four wheel vans and cattle trucks, although by the time it happens (wishful thinking), ICRs will be vintage stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

tabbey wrote: »
    I would prefer an A class with a rake of four wheel vans and cattle trucks, although by the time it happens (wishful thinking), ICRs will be vintage stock.

Lend me your time machine and we can head from Attymon to Loughrea. Alas, it won't happen without one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Not quite true. What a lot of you guys forget is that what you are shooting now and over the last 10 years will be pure gold in the future. Keep at it.
    What I mean too, Joe was more than a photographer, gricer etc but a very unique character, my daughters, now grown up, still speak fondly of Joe, meeting him on bridges, and visitor to my home in the 1990s, taking a break from Dublin Docks with new 2600s and 201 class locomotives arriving, then meeting him in the most rural places on the WRC chasing trains with coal & oil, then when there was an incident, when was Joe going to turn up, a Tara derailment in the middle of January 2008, no surprise, Joe like so many other times was on the case http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2624/Joe-St-Leger#.VoMEN1Kjlf0

Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

14 of the 18 out at work in 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

broken video "does not exist" ^^

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, looks like I didnt set it to "Public" - try it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In recent weeks the IRRS have set up their own Youtube channel, which means that they now have a public outlet for their extensive film archive. This is action from their tour on the Rath-Luirc to Limerick line, which closed soon after. The loco, B187, was new to traffic and may well have been it's only time to traverse the route.

One or two wags occasionally refer to their charters as coffin trains; God knows why :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First time that I've travelled the route - thanks for posting. :D

It should be rebuilt instead of the proposed Cork/Limerick motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I doubt you are serious but just for the record, many car users heading north from Charleville (etc) will be headed for Dublin and other places than Limerick and they already have a line that would suit their needs better than this one. Whether they have an adequate service on it is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

A couple more videos, firstly the MAK ;)

And secondly some clips of the new liveried Enterprise locos. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Specifically THANKED for the Top Video, with the Deisel which was handed over to CIE after being operated by the UTA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Metrovick,
    What time did the liner pass Hazelhatch?

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Specifically THANKED for the Top Video, with the Deisel which was handed over to CIE after being operated by the UTA
    Thanks, it went straight to CIE from the GNR(I). It should have been preserved because of its uniqueness and it was regrettably scrapped late in the day. :(

Nowadays in green livery, but back in 1967, G611 was all-over CIE black when it took the IRRS from Tralee to Castleisland :)

Great video.

The stories that I could tell about G611 but then I be banned. :D

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/611.html

Another institution lost from the railway scene of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good god i've said it before but the old PW was in rag order years ago. I don't know whether it's because of the camera not being steady or what but a 071 on a single line on wooden sleepers going at a handy speed ? No thanks.

Jaysus the controls weren't in a good position to drive the 121 cab first.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Good god i've said it before but the old PW was in rag order years ago. I don't know whether it's because of the camera not being steady or what but a 071 on a single line on wooden sleepers going at a handy speed ? No thanks.

The camera is hand held so thats how much the loco is rocking on the tracks. The PW was in a bad state alright. I remember many a night on the Galway and Westport routes trying to balance a few bottles of beer on the way back to my seat. And that was on MK3s.:eek:

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Itssoeasy;98705711

Jaysus the controls weren't in a good position to drive the 121 cab first.[/QUOTE]

The 121's were a pig to have a footplate ride on too because to talk to the driver you had to leave your seat and stand in the middle of the cab - thoughtless design.

The 121's were a pig to have a footplate ride on too as to talk to the driver you had to leave you seat and stand in the middle of the cab - thoughtless design.

Well they weren't built to run cab first by GM. They were meant to be driven bonnet first but obviously that changed. The video shows the driver looking forward so were there controls on the front or someway of controlling the ones we see without taking your eyes off the line ?

The 2600 arrived at dublin port 22 years ago sunday.

The Farewell Tour was a great blast - I think it was my last railtour - and I hardly left the train. One of the few items of railwayana still in my collection is the pint glass that traveled around Ireland with me that day. It was well used then but it too has been withdrawn and 'preserved'! :D

dTWmVMe.jpg

VY0WV05.jpg

The Farewell Tour was a great blast - I think it was my last railtour - and I hardly left the train. One of the few items of railwayana still in my collection is the pint glass that traveled around Ireland with me that day. It was well used then but it too has been withdrawn and 'preserved'! :D

dTWmVMe.jpg

VY0WV05.jpg

It wasn't your last railtour.:D

dTWmVMe.jpg

VY0WV05.jpg
    so the glass emptied a few times was it ? And it had nothing to do with the condition of the rails either 😆

tabbey wrote: »
    Metrovick,
    What time did the liner pass Hazelhatch?

Sorry Tabby, I've only just seen your question.
    Approx 17:20 if memory serves me right.
    This is the late path.
    It's usually much earlier.

Some 3ft gauge action now, full of nostalgia :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement