Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Railways Video Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Footage of the long forgotten Sallins to Tullow branch line, with stops at Naas and Harristown.

The complete film by the late IRRS film maker Tony Price on-board locomotive A9 on the scenic Dungarvan-Waterford line in 1966.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Great quality - just needs a 'real' soundtrack. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Because I know that line quite well I really enjoyed that video of the Dungarvan line.

I wonder could it be considered the most scenic route in Ireland, at least on the standard gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

cml387 wrote: »
    Because I know that line quite well I really enjoyed that video of the Dungarvan line.

I wonder could it be considered the most scenic route in Ireland, at least on the standard gauge?

Only if you rule out the Connolly/Rosslare, Farranfore/Valentia and Galway/Clifden lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Only if you rule out the Connolly/Rosslare, Farranfore/Valentia and Galway/Clifden lines.

And any one of the the Derry lines, narrow and standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

071 Class workings (freight, RPSI and PWD trains) recorded during 2016.:cool:

When loco 184 went to Ballylinan, Borris and Enniscorthy in July 1960.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

A lot of water and rules under the bridge since that film was taken, grass and bushes at Ballyinan and everybody enjoying themselves.
    In resent times steam dreams can't even transfer empty stock from Rosslare to Waterford over the South Wexford line, a much shorter route and much smaller carbon footprint, instead takes a longer up the DSE, via Dublin, then down via Carlow ' Kilkenny, not to mention 2 light engine steam movements and diesel locomotives, burning lots of coal and diesel and using a much longer route, so much for the carbon footprint, the whole scenario has gone completely daft.
    Regards
    hg
    Oh forgot to mention, the bus transfer for the traveling enthusiasts, while the train travels empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

h.gricer wrote: »
    A lot of water and rules under the bridge since that film was taken, grass and bushes at Ballyinan and everybody enjoying themselves.
    In resent times steam dreams can't even transfer empty stock from Rosslare to Waterford over the South Wexford line, a much shorter route and much smaller carbon footprint, instead takes a longer up the DSE, via Dublin, then down via Carlow ' Kilkenny, not to mention 2 light engine steam movements and diesel locomotives, burning lots of coal and diesel and using a much longer route, so much for the carbon footprint, the whole scenario has gone completely daft.
    Regards
    hg
    Oh forgot to mention, the bus transfer for the traveling enthusiasts, while the train travels empty.

well i'm surprised CIE allowed stock transfers across the south wexford at all but wonders will never sease i suppose. anyone have any idea what the "mystery" "problem" was that stopped the transfer this time? i heard all sorts including a loco ban on the barrow bridge which was perfectly capible of taking locos a month before but nothing concrete.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

An amazing management structure. Its hardly any wonder that the road haulage business beats them in almost every sector they compete in. All self inflected BS.
    Sometimes you could be forgiven for thinking that they don't want to run any trains at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Add the decision by someone that No4 could only handle 6 carriages out of Cork and someone else decided that loco run arounds for Waterford Cork trains can no longer take place at Limerick Junction and instead must do a 50 mile round trip to Limerick gives further credence to Metrovick's conclusions.

Video from the CIÉ black and tan era of Limerick Junction and Rathpeacon, recorded by the late Joe St Leger:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Video from the CIÉ black and tan era of Limerick Junction and Rathpeacon, recorded by the late Joe St Leger:

That's a lovely video especially the two guys at the end. Was it my eyes or was there a metrovick numbered B211?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

jca wrote: »
    That's a lovely video especially the two guys at the end. Was it my eyes or was there a metrovick numbered B211?

Yes, the C prefixes were replaced by Bs when they were re-engineered with the GM engines as the prefix represented the power of the engine, not the actual class, for example enthusiasts commonly refer to the "A" or "C" class but there was no such thing, they were actually the 001 and 201 class etc.

Engine rating prefixes were dropped from around 1976 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes, the "C"s became Bs when they were re-engineered with the GM engines as the prefix represented the power of the engine, not the actual class.

All the C class eventually received GM engines between 1969 and 1972.
    Two of them, B 233 & 234, had Maybach engines from about 1964 until their final rebuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

tabbey wrote: »
    All the C class eventually received GM engines between 1969 and 1972.
    Two of them, B 233 & 234, had Maybach engines from about 1964 until their final rebuilding.

That's correct I forgot about that, they received Maybach engines as test beds for the rebuild before GM engines were sought.

At 1200RPM they were the fastest turning engines ever in Ireland.

GM228 wrote: »
    That's correct I forgot about that, they received Maybach engines as test beds for the rebuild before GM engines were sought.

At 1200RPM they were the fastest turning engines ever in Ireland.

The Maybach were a good dependable engine too, not as good as the GM but certainly much better than the hst.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the same engine was also used in some of the br warship class. D821 is 1 such loco and is preserved. videos of her in action on youtube if you really want to hear the sound.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

A cameo appearance by the late film maker Joe St Leger, as well as the now preserved A Class locomotive A39R, recorded on track-lifting duties on the disused Dungarvan line 45 years ago.

Well that video could be from downpatrick in 2016 as A39r is now repainted from all black to the livery in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Have a look at these muppets in the Downhill Tunnel:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/train-narrowly-misses-pedestrians-in-downhill-train-tunnel-1.2798539

Plus, it is always interesting to see the stopping distance of a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Another nice video from Gerry Comny

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Another nice video from Gerry Comny

I know they're only locos but there's something very sad seeing them in that condition considering the great service they gave.

I find it kind of funny in that 6111 seems to have been bad shape for years and yet it's now in downpatrick and will likely be saved and all that GM power looked in such a bad way.

Down the back of inchicore is like Arlington cemetery for Irish railway enthusiasts. Many a good loco meet it's end there.

I know this video might have been on this forum before but just watching I'd say the health and safety crowd now would have a banger watching this. Not a high vis jacket in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I know this video might have been on this forum before but just watching I'd say the health and safety crowd now would have a banger watching this. Not a high vis jacket in sight.

Hi Vis jackets had not been dreamt of in 1958.

People used their common sense and natural instinct of self preservation.

Advertisement