Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Railways Video Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tabbey wrote: »
    Hi Vis jackets had not been dreamt of in 1958.

People used their common sense and natural instinct of self preservation.

And accidental deaths were vastly more frequent than now. Common sense is quite uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »
    And accidental deaths were vastly more frequent than now. Common sense is quite uncommon.

+1

There's little evidence of it in that video clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Seanmk1 wrote: »

In typical Irish style this is the only reason we got the DART.

• Advertisement

I remember it well, I travelled to work on an earlier train from Bray that morning. Some sloppy work practices and clapped out equipment don't make for a safe railway. Buttevant and Cherryville being other examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

this looks like a nasty derailment and that track clearly wasn't in good condition as coaches derailing seem to have destroyed the rails and the sleepers look wooden.

1977 RTE archive on the County Donegal Railway

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0228/856104-when-donegal-had-a-railway/

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any videos on YouTube of Brendan Ogle from his ILDA days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ClovenHoof wrote: »

i had a look but couldn't find any. lots of videos of him involving more recent stuff though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The only one I've ever seen online is the infamous "gravy" speech.

http://www.thejournal.ie/watch-union-chief-admits-esb-staff-are-spoilt-211399-Aug2011/

Plenty o gravy served inside the luxury apartments at Spencer Dock after gravy snd just about all other goods transported by rail were ended by his ILDA gravy train.

A mysterious arrangement between unions and developers which holds a tale yet to be properly told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    this looks like a nasty derailment and that track clearly wasn't in good condition as coaches derailing seem to have destroyed the rails and the sleepers look wooden.

nothing wrong with wooden sleepers, what was wrong at that stage was the appalling maintenance or lack of it on track at that time

BoatMad wrote: »
    nothing wrong with wooden sleepers, what was wrong at that stage was the appalling maintenance or lack of it on track at that time

Did I say there was something wrong with wooden sleepers ? No I said the permanent way was in bad shape as the train didn't derail because the track was in top notch condition now did it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did I say there was something wrong with wooden sleepers ? No I said the permanent way was in bad shape as the train didn't derail because the track was in top notch condition now did it ?

Ahh Jesus lads, is no thread on boards safe from people bickering:mad:

Great video - the Rules & Regulations crowd in Connolly would go mad! What was with all the Lemurs on the track - had they escaped from Fota?

• Advertisement

That video has a personal touch to me. the person who is retiring was a great friend of my grandfather and was his next door neighbour and I know the guy who brought 162 to the headshunt. And the guy retiring was the driver my grandfather asked to let me have a spin in a 121.

I showed the video to my mother and she recognised the man immediately. The window where the flag is out the window is next to the my great grandmothers house where I used to climb the ladder and look over the wall.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Great video - the Rules & Regulations crowd in Connolly would go mad! What was with all the Lemurs on the track - had they escaped from Fota?

Yeah it seems everything on the cobh line has been upgraded including the fencing around fota. Was letting off that many detenators allowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was expecting "lemur" to be some form of injoke I wasn't getting. Jaysus.

This video according to the date stamp in coming up on thirty years ago. Has there much change to Connolly track wise in those thirty years ? I know there was a new platform build in 1981(?) in the train shed. And something else was removed at that time. Was it a signal box or a footbridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

There was a footbridge that ran across all the platforms at the end of the train shed. You can see it here. There was a signal-box removed too, but I'm not sure when that happened.

From memory, it was wooden and fairly rattled. It used to scare the hell out of me when I was small. Then again the so did the underpass from platform 7 as the lighting was often knackered.

That light engine movement after 6:35 is pretty dodgy isn't it? A spill of Anhydrous Ammonia would be pretty dodgy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There was a footbridge that ran across all the platforms at the end of the train shed. You can see it here. There was a signal-box removed too, but I'm not sure when that happened.

From memory, it was wooden and fairly rattled. It used to scare the hell out of me when I was small. Then again the so did the underpass from platform 7 as the lighting was often knackered.:(

The footbridge was in two sections, the part from platform 5 to 6&7, was the only way to get to the latter, and was heavily used, especially during peak hours. At quieter times most southeastern trains used platform 5.
    The section of footbridge from Platform 5 across the trainshed to platform 2&1, was usuallylocked to prevent passengers alighting from Belfast trains evading the customs officers. The customs were only needed for non-stop trains from Belfast, other trains were checked at Dundalk, but the gate at the footbridge steps from platform 2, was usually left locked.
    My memory is that it only opened for a few years before it was removed.

The signal cabins which were removed were the 1926 built GSR electric signal cabin on platform 6&7, and the GNR Central Cabin between the tracks, halfway from the platforms to the Royal Canal bridge. Both of these became redundant with resignalling in preparation for electrification in the early 1980s. The CTC cabin was extended to control the suburban DART route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

That light engine movement after 6:35 is pretty dodgy isn't it? A spill of Anhydrous Ammonia would be pretty dodgy :(

The ammonia train was on the empty run returning from Shelton Abbey to Marino Point. The only leak would be water from the barrier wagons at each end of the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some rare footage of Ballinrobe station, featuring a 600 Class 0-6-0 and a C Class that was barely out of it's wrapper.

• Advertisement

Advertisement