Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Curries

Options
  • 16-01-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Curious to know whether or not I can freeze some of my homemade curries as I'm going to be busier during the week and may not have time to make dinner nightly from scratch like I normally do.

I make the curries with peppers, mushrooms, onions, beansprouts, pak choi and chicken and then have thai green curry paste and coconut milk for the sauce. Would that freeze ok? Or would the veg go to mush/ sauce go manky?!

Thanks a million for any advice. I love Asian style food so would love some ideas on batch cooking it.

I suppose I could chop all the veg and have it prepared but my fridge is full with my prepared lunches already! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ya curries freeze really well but yes the veg, especially the pak choi and beanspouts will go to mush. Why dont you add them in after you've reheated the curry as they cook in second and there's no prep involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Oh deadly! It was the sauce I was most concerned about.

So would the peppers and mushrooms and onions freeze alright in the sauce?

This is great, thanks! My life will be changed! :D I will also waste less coconut milk! I'm only cooking for one so sometimes, if I don't get to cook with it, the milk goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Personally I don't like mushrooms after having been frozen - but they are easy to add in once you are reheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Also be aware that the coconut milk will probably split when you defrost and it will look odd, but don't worry about it - just reheat and stir and it will be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You can pick up small cans of coconut milk in a most of the asian supermarkets. Might help you to scale down the batch rather than having vegetables go weird from freezing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement