Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think a useful message.

• 17-01-2014 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more with this.
    74C1E635-8C1A-4712-8E89-D6276FD43C94_zpsrmuum1tk.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

True story! That and leaving a dog unattended with a kid, I mean really?.... NO dog should be left unattended with a child, be it a king Charles or a great dane.

Oh, one thing to note, with ANY pup anyone gets, just a bit of advice, poke them everywhere, pull their ears, tail, legs, feet, play with their toes, mouth and eyes, don't hurt them, but just get them used to the feeling of what a child would do.

For example, the wee girl in my signature, since I got her, I did all that stuff, we had a friend over to the house a while ago, he has 1.5 - 2 year twins, they are not afraid of dogs in the least, first thing they did was go over and yank on her tail while she was lying down, ya think she would even bother looking at what was grabbing her? Naw, didn't give a hoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

As much patience Labs, Golden Retrievers have, you cannot blame them when a child is pulling at their face.

I agree,

I mean, imagine someone doing that to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I have told my kids you pull out of the dogs they can snap, they do have feelings. My daughter used to pull their tails so one day I pulled her ponytail and told it that if find that hurts and you want slap, imagine how the pups feel

lollsangel wrote: »
    I have told my kids you pull out of the dogs they can snap, they do have feelings. My daughter used to pull their tails so one day I pulled her ponytail and told it that if find that hurts and you want slap, imagine how the pups feel

Haha, brilliant :) Did it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm on my phone so can't link but there's also another great video on YT about what not to let a kid do.

It's a rottie and its lying down and the parents put the toddler on the hound as if it a horse and get their phones out and start recording. You can obviously see the dog is straight away uncomfortable and the child keep bouncing up and down. Dog tries to move but parents don't let it. It keeps pushing it head back to get the child off. Keeps licking its lips. All while the child is slapping it and bouncing up and down. Every sign that the dog is about to bite it gives but fortunately the child falls and the dog walks off.

Some people have zero idea when it comes to stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Karlitto wrote: »
    Haha, brilliant :) Did it work?

Hasnt pulled a tail since

I'm on my phone so can't link but there's also another great video on YT about what not to let a kid do.

It's a rottie and its lying down and the parents put the toddler on the hound as if it a horse and get their phones out and start recording. You can obviously see the dog is straight away uncomfortable and the child keep bouncing up and down. Dog tries to move but parents don't let it. It keeps pushing it head back to get the child off. Keeps licking its lips. All while the child is slapping it and bouncing up and down. Every sign that the dog is about to bite it gives but fortunately the child falls and the dog walks off.

Some people have zero idea when it comes to stuff like this.

See, and this is the thing, some dogs would be fine with that, some not. I do not understand people who get dogs (any breed) and do not learn how to read the dogs behavior, bite signs being one of the main areas of focus.

Is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9f4oIyDZwY

If so, I understand you, but I would disagree, no bite signs there, the dog is content at playing with his ball.

However, it is one thing letting a dog and a baby lie next to each other, but jesus, I wouldn't blame the dog if he had of turned an snapped. Especially because it is still only about 8 months to a year old (just guessing the age)

Is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9f4oIyDZwY

If so, I understand you, but I would disagree, no bite signs there, the dog is content at playing with his ball.

However, it is one thing letting a dog and a baby lie next to each other, but jesus, I wouldn't blame the dog if he had of turned an snapped. Especially because it is still only about 8 months to a year old (just guessing the age)

Nah that's not it. Might be wrong but i wouldn't say that dog is even 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Not enough children are taught to respect dogs and give them space (and not enough owners are aware a dog needs this no matter how much they are integrated into a family), especially when it comes to the dogs of friends and family, yes you may be familiar with the dog, but that does not mean you are free to get up in their space any way you want.

However, I am actually quite impressed with the Irish children I have met when walking my boys in the park. The majority of them (that are of age to be able to talk) never go up to my dogs, they often point and say "look! doggies!" and especially as I've got a fluffy pair of woofers that I could imagine any child having trouble staying away from, I am really impressed with how many seem to have been taught not to pet or approach a strange dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Not enough children are taught to respect dogs and give them space (and not enough owners are aware a dog needs this no matter how much they are integrated into a family), especially when it comes to the dogs of friends and family, yes you may be familiar with the dog, but that does not mean you are free to get up in their space any way you want.

However, I am actually quite impressed with the Irish children I have met when walking my boys in the park. The majority of them (that are of age to be able to talk) never go up to my dogs, they often point and say "look! doggies!" and especially as I've got a fluffy pair of woofers that I could imagine any child having trouble staying away from, I am really impressed with how many seem to have been taught not to pet or approach a strange dog.

Haha, yea, kids don't generally come up to my dogs at all, but mainly because the parents they are with are ignorantly afraid and pass that fear on to their children.

Found it..... ****ing idiots, and yep, there are all of the "get the **** off me" signs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rnK49QxJI

Found it..... ****ing idiots, and yep, there are all of the "get the **** off me" signs....

Yep that's the one. First time I seen it I was like the dog is going to snap at any moment now. It even gets hard to watch.

Idiot parents in the background laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:eek: Oh my god I had to turn it off at 1:20. That is painful to watch.

Yep that's the one. First time I seen it I was like the dog is going to snap at any moment now. It even gets hard to watch.

Idiot parents in the background laughing!

You can tell within about 5 seconds of seeing the dog. BAH! I have thought for a very long time that to own ANY dog, you should have to do a dog training course (nothing too intense, just the basics in owning a dog) and sit a test to get YOUR license.

This way, you would be licensed to own a dog, less dogs would be found in pounds and being put down due to idiots who could not manage them. As well, would dramatically increase responsible dog ownership.

anniehoo wrote: »

Yea, it is pretty shocking. And you know the headlines would be "Child savaged by vicious Rottweiler" Sickens me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My son absolutely loves dogs, but it has been drummed into him to ask the owners first before approaching them

Unfortunately one day he forgot to ask, and the dog in question snapped at him. thankfully it was a warning snap but it taught him a valuable lesson and reminded him that I wasn't just saying this for no reason whatsoever.

Believe me if a dog did bite my son, either my own dogs or someone else's because of his own stupidity I would not be blaming the owners.

It is incredibly frustrating when children approach dogs without asking first, because our lady looks really sweet we used to get it a lot, but she is terrified of strangers so her first response is to bark and snap at them. I don't bring her out in public very often, instead she is walked in private fields where she can run and sniff to her hearts content without being scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think people sometimes expect way too much of pets in terms of tolerance of being poked at.

I'd a visitor to the house who kept tickling and poking the cat when the cat was clearly annoyed / not interested in interacting with him. The cat eventually whacked him with a claw across the arm (scratching him a bit) and somehow this was suddenly all my 'evil cat's' fault.

They're animals we choose to share our homes with, and they are most definitely not toys!
    A bit of mutual respect and a proper relationship is required and an ability to know what's going to get you scratched, bitten or put in harms way too.

I would absolutely never, ever let a small kid interact like that with a dog, cat or any animal.
    All it takes is a bit of a bad temper or a misinterpretation of something and you've a MAJOR injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My heart was in my mouth the whole time watching that, what a pair of ****ing idiots.

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    My son absolutely loves dogs, but it has been drummed into him to ask the owners first before approaching them

Unfortunately one day he forgot to ask, and the dog in question snapped at him. thankfully it was a warning snap but it taught him a valuable lesson and reminded him that I wasn't just saying this for no reason whatsoever.

Believe me if a dog did bite my son, either my own dogs or someone else's because of his own stupidity I would not be blaming the owners.

It is incredibly frustrating when children approach dogs without asking first, because our lady looks really sweet we used to get it a lot, but she is terrified of strangers so her first response is to bark and snap at them. I don't bring her out in public very often, instead she is walked in private fields where she can run and sniff to her hearts content without being scared.

That's a good mentality to have, people should always ask, and most of the time, they will say yep :)

Ya ever tried to get her socialized to make her not so nervous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

angeldaisy wrote: »

THIS!!! A child should always ask, and 'some' parents need to really tune in. I recently ranted about a mother letting (and fully aware of) her 3 year old wonder over in between my husky and a Doberman. As they were getting to know each other. Then the child followed around the back of me as I retreated with Hugo, trying to pull his tail.

Christ almighty! Also worth noting is the 'correct' way to greet a dog. None of this head patting, space invading, usual approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

lollsangel wrote: »

My sister took the same approach when my nephew when he was pulling my cockers ears, so she tugged his ear.... he didnt like it, so she said you think the dog likes it?

Never did it again :pac:

Hooked wrote: »
    THIS!!! A child should always ask, and 'some' parents need to really tune in. I recently ranted about a mother letting her 3 year old wonder over in between my husky and a Doberman. As they were getting to now each other. Then the child followed around the back of me as I retreated with Hugo, trying to pull his tail.

Christ almighty! Also worth noting is the 'correct' way to greet a dog. None of this head patting, space invading, usual approach.

That's just irresponsible,

Not sure what ya mean about the second half,

The way I (personally) always introduce myself to a dog is to hunker down with my side facing the dog, look away, dog comes and sniffs my bum, walks away, and boom, we are friends. And I tell ya, never once has a dog snapped at my hand for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

113AA39E-B1B2-4413-9F31-A0DD92D8F52F_zps32imjmgq.jpg

Just found this online! Spot on...

Haha, brilliant

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Karlitto, we adopted her ladyship about 18 months ago, she barked at everyone and everything.

We now have her so she is fine with our friends and family, but she just finds strangers too stressful. To be honest it doesn't cause too much hassle, except on the odd occasion we have to visit the vets. But at least now she just barks and barks rather than snaps then barks.

On a few occasions we've had to wait outside for our appointment:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

that poor dog. Desperate how some adults act. No cop on and its the dog and child that would suffer if the dog snapped.

I actually can't believe they encouraged their toddler to sit on a dogs chest and bounce on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Those parents in that video are idiots, I can't say anymore, I'll lose it.
    The poor dog, it should be taken from them and found a decent home.

I taught my daughter from a baby to stay still and quiet and talk quietly to dogs, and let them come to her. Her granny had two older dogs that happily allowed her to pet them, and laid beside her pram as she slept. She knew from the time she could walk not to approach a dog, to stand still and ask the owner if she could say hello (which to her meant actually saying "hello doggy" and letting them sniff her), she never put a hand on a strange dog, but knew a few local dogs she could safely pet.
    I have trained my dogs to "say hello" which means they will stand to be petted, the command tells them someone is going to touch them. But I have lost count of the number of kids and even adults that will just lunge at them or grab them. Yes they are hairy and cute, but how do these people know they are friendly?

I explain to every child I can how to say hello correctly, but I'm sick of parents just saying "it's fine, he/she loves dogs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

anniehoo wrote: »

I had to turn it off too :mad:

Advertisement