Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think a useful message.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

We have had that issue with one friend's kid.

She comes in screaming "KITTTTTTYYYYY" at our very highly strung cat who gets totally freaked out by loud noises.

We spent a long time explaining that 'Kitty' is not a toy, can be approached with respect and very quietly, and gently and only with an adult present.

We gave her a demonstration of kitty's favourite pastime - pretending to kill fake mice! So, she now knows that he's potentially quite dangerous and to keep her hands and face out of harm's way!

Kids often equate pets and toys and it's a really dangerous thing to do.

Cats in particular can absolutely lacerate you and do horrendous damage if they are cornered / threatened or hurt. Some are patient, some aren't.

People also definitely make huge assumptions about dog behaviour that can lead to rather nasty situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

SpaceTime wrote: »
    We have had that issue with one friend's kid.

She comes in screaming "KITTTTTTYYYYY" at our very highly strung cat who gets totally freaked out by loud noises.

We spent a long time explaining that 'Kitty' is not a toy, can be approached with respect and very quietly, and gently and only with an adult present.

We gave her a demonstration of kitty's favourite pastime - pretending to kill fake mice! So, she now knows that he's potentially quite dangerous and to keep her hands and face out of harm's way!

Kids often equate pets and toys and it's a really dangerous thing to do.

Cats in particular can absolutely lacerate you and do horrendous damage if they are cornered / threatened or hurt. Some are patient, some aren't.

People also definitely make huge assumptions about dog behaviour that can lead to rather nasty situations.

My nieces come in the door my cats fight to get out the cat flap first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My heart was in my mouth the whole time watching that, what a pair of ****ing idiots.

Mine too! That video is an absolute testament to the patience of Rotties, it could easily have been a video of a dog snapping under stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Young children think that they can handle animals in the same way that they pick up a teddy bear or a doll. So they grab and squeeze, which of course can hurt and scare any animal. A lady collecting with me for a charity yesterday had a little dog with her and I was shocked at the number of adults who just picked up and cuddled the dog without asking if it was ok to do so, or if the dog was ok with strangers.

The number of parents who just walked their toddlers up to strange dogs without even checking with the owners on the dogs temperment was scary too. I remember our cats reaction to my husband's nephew when he was about 4. He'd come in the door and they couldn't get out to the room fast enough, I'd to watch him like a hawk and as soon as you'd take your eyes off him he'd be poking under the bed with something trying to make a hiding cat come out.

Parents need to teach their kids from a young age that animals need to be treated with respect and not to try to grab animals, especially ones they don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Ok, so, I was sitting in the doghouse with Kim (my Rottie), just chillin', as you can see from the below and this family of 5 Asians, not sure where abouts form, walked inside, on the way back out, one of the children jumped towards her and shouted "BAH!"

What I presume to be the father started slapping the kid across the head and then apologized to me, and made the kid say sorry :D

I chuckled :D

Oh, and not a peep out of her, she just kinda looked at him with the look of "da hell is wrong with you?"

mpat.jpg

• Advertisement

I saw 2 young girls aged about 5 or so, tormenting a dog in it's garden in December, despite the fact that the owners had a sign on the gate asking people to leave it alone. I fcuked them out of it, had tried being nice but they were ignoring me and they were back shouting in the gate at it when I passed by about 15 minutes later. Never was I so tempted to have a chat about Santa's true identity. Evil I know, but sometimes, just sometimes kids do things to deserve it:mad:

I saw 2 young girls aged about 5 or so, tormenting a dog in it's garden in December, despite the fact that the owners had a sign on the gate asking people to leave it alone. I fcuked them out of it, had tried being nice but they were ignoring me and they were back shouting in the gate at it when I passed by about 15 minutes later. Never was I so tempted to have a chat about Santa's true identity. Evil I know, but sometimes, just sometimes kids do things to deserve it:mad:

Hehe, have been tempted before, but thought, it won't really do much as they will still get their presents, I am a big enough guy and it is easy to scare people, so I just scare the kids :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wanted to drop-kick that kid so bad! Poor doggie. Hope the kid doesn't do something like that when it's owner isn't around!

the_syco wrote: »
    I wanted to drop-kick that kid so bad! Poor doggie. Hope the kid doesn't do something like that when it's owner isn't around!

That's the problem, and the assumption would be "Vicious dog savages child for no reason"

In saying that, NO dog should EVER be left alone with a young child, no exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Karlitto wrote: »
    Hehe, have been tempted before, but thought, it won't really do much as they will still get their presents, I am a big enough guy and it is easy to scare people, so I just scare the kids :)

You use your size as an adult to indimidate children ??? Really ??? As for even thinking about telling children about Christmas. How has that even crossed your mind ?? What's wrong with you people ? There are ways and means to deal with unruly kids and neither of the above are appropriate.

Anyway, I don't find this a massive problem One of our dogs is very unchild friendly. He'd be fine for a short while but would snap if tested too much. We just make sure he's never in a position that could trigger this. Kids are kids. We can't control them all the time. We can control the dog though and avoid the situation before an issue can be created in the first place. My wife minds kids and we've never had the slightest issue yet.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    You use your size as an adult to indimidate children ??? Really ??? As for even thinking about telling children about Christmas. How has that even crossed your mind ?? What's wrong with you people ? There are ways and means to deal with unruly kids and neither of the above are appropriate.

Anyway, I don't find this a massive problem One of our dogs is very unchild friendly. He'd be fine for a short while but would snap if tested too much. We just make sure he's never in a position that could trigger this. Kids are kids. We can't control them all the time. We can control the dog though and avoid the situation before an issue can be created in the first place. My wife minds kids and we've never had the slightest issue yet.

But if I see someone being picked on, or a dog/cat being terrorized by a kid, damn right I scare them. I also get enjoyment out of going "BOO!" at a kid when they are staring at me, the reaction is priceless.

Ok, so, please tell me how you deal with an unruly child when their parents are no where to be seen?

In response to your second paragraph, you are right :) It is all about being responsible, and as you have said, you make sure he is never in a position that could trigger a reaction.

Swanner wrote: »
    You use your size as an adult to inimidate children ??? Really ??? As for even thinking about telling children about Christmas. How has that even crossed your mind ?? What's wrong with you people ? There are ways and means to deal with unruly kids and neither of the above are appropriate.

Ignorant nasty little brats that live a couple of streets away tormenting a nervous dog in it's own garden, possibly on a daily basis. My conscience would have been spotlessly clean had I done what I'd have liked to do. I'd have no hesitation next time, I'm only sorry I didn't do it that day.

Advertisement