Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Books That The World Calls Immoral Are Books That Show The World Its Own Shame

Options
  • 17-01-2014 12:19am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I read lots when I was younger, but have fallen out of the habit somewhat in recent years, particularly with regard to fiction and classic literature.

I'm going to try arrest that decline somewhat with a reading log that will be focussed primarily on that sort of material (though there may be occasional pieces of non-fiction included).

My intention is to read roughly 1 novel per fortnight, giving a yearly total of around 25. However, this may change depending on circumstance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Book #1: The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

I read this over the past couple of weeks during quite a bit of travelling and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had known a couple of plot elements from the story before I started but not enough to spoil certain surprises.

I found the story to be quite Shakespearean in its themes and character development. Dorian is quite reminiscent of some Shakespearean leads in terms of his character and his susceptibility to external influence. The title forms a bit of a pun in hindsight; this story is very much a picture of Dorian's life, other characters have quite minor roles outside of their interactions with Dorian. As expected, there's plenty of philosophical rambling from Wilde, primarily through Harry, though this is not unwelcome.

All in all, a very enjoyable read and a good start to the log. I haven't quite decided on what I'm going to go with next, but I'll post up here when I get going.

Advertisement