Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about attaining a firearm license

Options
  • 17-01-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

OK, so the other day I went and signed up to a club which lets me use their rifles/ammunition on their firing range so I can practice target shooting.

However, I have no license of my own, and as a result I do not own any rifles.

With that said, if I owned a rifle my interest would probably be limited to just going to the range(For now, in any case), and owning one out of interest in the firearm itself. From my understanding, valid reasons for registering for a license are as follows;

1. Use in a sporting event

2. Hunting

3. Collecting (deactivated?)firearms

My question being, do I "qualify"(in terms of reason for application) for getting a license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Well if you want to start target shooting as you say you'll have to join a range, do your safety course and install a safe for the rifle.

Along with that you'll have to put your deposit down on a rifle with a dealer and supply the receipt with your application.

If you do all this and you have no criminal record etc. it should go through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Can anyone tell what are the requirements for joining a gun range or club? I live in Dublin. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The_Mask wrote: »
    Can anyone tell what are the requirements for joining a gun range or club? I live in Dublin. Thanks

The joining fee and not being a gurrier. Range fees are generally quite high the first year which puts some people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

In my own club, East Coast Shooting Club, the procedure is as follows:

Visit the club for a few weeks. Get to know the members, and they get to know you. Then ask two members to propose you. Once that is done, your application is passed at the next committee meeting. Once accepted, you are on six months probation. During that probation time, you must complete the mandatory safety course.

If you need a supporting letter for a firearm, you must be a member for six months for a long gun, and a year for a hand gun.

Regards,

SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Gurrier. Now that's a word I haven't heard in ages!!!

Welcome to the sport OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement