Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Whoop , its finally time, getting bus in a hour, looking forward to getting the tent up, and having that first can in the sun, hopefully the sun anyway, weather looks decent at min . Have a good LIFE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I like this, saw him play last year. Bit different to what David Kitt used to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Counting down the minutes before I can get out of work and head down, was chatting to a friend who is running a catering van down there and it's a sea of muck already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Great weekend. The sight of three 15/16 year old (for want of a kinder word) scumbags that had broken in going mad to Joy O was strangely beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Just in the door.Great weekend great people great craic!weather didnt fase me or my group no big increase in toe rags this year although some messers but what do you expect.only downside was seeing so many people getting into k holes.what a nasty drug to take!see yous next year....LIFE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First year at life, had an unreal weekend despite the weather! Didn't see any hassle myself all weekend which I thought I might from previous stories.. There were a lot of undercover guards/drug squad there. Everyone seemed to be having a good time! Saw some great sets over the weekend, didn't expect to see such a wide range in music, highlight for me was Tensnake and then onto Maurice Fulton in the Twisted Pepper stage. Anyone else think Groove Armada were a bit disappointing?

Great weekend all round, shame about the weather though, can only imagine how good it would have been with good weather!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anyone catch calibre's set in liquid tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well that was fun!

Now time to curl up into a ball and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I'm ruined.

Dixon blew me away on Friday, Sunil Sharpe was unreal and Kareen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've always wondered how the drug squad operate at festivals, I mean I've been to tons but never seen any!

Do they pose as dealers or buyers? Or just walk around and catch people in the act?

Just dressed in normal clothes so not to draw attention (North Face jackets usually), they pose as buyers mainly as far as I could see this weekend, but if they're wandering around and see anything they will follow it up. There were ones at almost every stage I was at and a good few going around the campsites as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Ha "undercover" good one.they could be spotted a mile away.I got dragged for smoking a spliff had a chat and found out they were looking for the people with the bogey green pills,so tbh fair play to them

Nina Kraviz blew me away, as did Rodhad. Twisted pepper tent till 6am was great especially the Saturday night. Had a great time apart from getting my lovely blowup mattress and sleeping bag robbed so left early on Sunday due to lack of sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Amazing weekend! Highlights for me were Karenn, Rodhad, Four Tet, Jamie xx and Nina Kraviz (want to marry that woman). Loved that Red Bull arena! Crowd were grand too for the most part, few dodgy looking characters but none seemed aggressive in the slightest. Seemed to be way less hippies than when I was last there in 2011. Those hammocks down by the lake stage were a delight. Can't wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Didn't notice any undercover drug guys. Never have at a festival!

My boyfriend and myself went to bed at about 12 on Friday. We were wrecked! What a couple of losers :o Missed Groove Armada, didn't have much interest in them anyway. Gutted we missed Karenn though.

Four Tet was great, as usual! Would have liked to have seen a bit of Ben Klock but Four Tet was too good to leave! Dusky were great on Friday. Nina Kraviz irritated me for some reason...she was grand though! Joy Orbison was class. Jamie XX was pretty good. And Maya Jane Coles was great too, missed a lot of her though!

All my clothes are mud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

First year at Life - Definitely my last. Main arena and access to the lake/best food places/woods closed til 3pm. Searched thoroughly everytime I go into the arena until 10pm cos God forbid we drink our own drink at a festival! So spent most of the festival drinking in our tents, walking up and back from arena to tent (getting patted down each time of course) or waiting in our tents for the arena to even open. May as well have been camping in a field on our own! Some of the acts that we did see were great, Kormac's Big Band and the Radioactive Grandma were fantastic as usual, Groove Armada a bit of a let down, Mr. Devitt was class, and there was some deadly reggae on Saturday on the main stage if anyone knows who they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

great weekend, ****e ****e weather (didn't bring wellies), way more knacks than I was expecting but no trouble really. spent a lot of time arsing about but highlights were Dusky, Four Tet, Joy Orbison, Booka Brass Band, Kormac's Big Band and the bit of Karenn I caught. Always lost track of time and stages so missed Nina Kraviz and Jamie XX like an eejit. Will return next year if it's sunny :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Had a great week, I know Life has had a run of luck as with the Picnic in regards to the weather for the last few years, but it is Ireland and sometimes that can change. Life has become more eclectic as it grows, the harder dance elements are still there but there is now even more variety bringing it closer to the melting pot that is Body & Soul, although it has to be stressed that this is definitely not a family friendly festival. Three new stages brought in different kinds of music, I found myself drawn to the tree stumps between the Twisted Pepper stage and the Bear Trap stage, here you could sit and have the most amazing conversations with the craziest of randomers, this was basically what was left of the chill out area really.

The Bear Trap stage reminded me of the quirky Salty Dog stage, crazy rap bands, blues psychedelia, folky stuff and electro pop. Life more than made up for the absence of the rootical tent by putting on some amazing reggae acts on the main stage early afternoon or early evening so to speak as staff attempted to remedy the mud situation with hay and woodchip, there is nothing that can get you more energised than some stomping ragga and jungle from the likes of the Dirty dubsters and roots reggae from acts like Cian Finn and the Rootical Sound System. The Bedlam stage also blasted out some mellow deep house on the Sunday morning where the hangovers were danced away by the lake.

The stage though than wins first prize this year has to be the Red Bull arena, not only the state of art sound system compared to last year but the set of VJ visuals that accompanied each DJ, whether that was a Red Bull idea or the DJs idea it was absolutely mind blowing. The weather always guaranteed a wedged tent but because there were many openings it was easily accessible to move into the front to see the performer in action.
    Highlights from that tent was Nina Kravis, Jamie XX, Nathan Fake, LFO, Joy O and Four Tet. First festival of the year and I'm absolutely delighted.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I heard from a mate that Life festival was broadcast live on Saturday night yet I can't find any streams whatsoever, does anyone have a link to the live streams, I have no idea who was covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Remember hearing this a few times in the Red Bull tent, always went down an absolute treat!

Dixon started his set with this, sounded something else on that soundsystem in Red Bull tent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mIy71QLMP8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why are they so hell bent on catching people selling drugs? Do they not realize that it pretty much makes the festival?

I understand that they need to keep up appearances but lets say one of the undercover guys caught someone with a few pills, would they not be inclined to just confiscate them and tell him to jog on, rather than ruin his weekend and potentially his life - this would also be effort on the undercovers part who for the most part probably just wants an event free weekend.

I wonder which festivals in Ireland are policed the most in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I got caught with one pill at Oxegen by an undercover last year and got fined €1500. Now I probably won't be able to go on Erasmus to Holland which is the whole reason I chose the college I did.

This is despite the fact that a guy before me got fined €1000 for having 32 pills.

The Garda told me on the day that the maximum fine I would get is around €100 and said more than likely I'd get nothing done to me.

I know that's pretty much off topic but I wanted to have a bit of a rant

I got caught with one pill at Oxegen by an undercover last year and got fined €1500. Now I probably won't be able to go on Erasmus to Holland which is the whole reason I chose the college I did.

This is despite the fact that a guy before me got fined €1000 for having 32 pills.

The Garda told me on the day that the maximum fine I would get is around €100 and said more than likely I'd get nothing done to me.

That's crazy. One pill is clearly not intent to distribute so I don't know why the fine was so high. How did they catch you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Did you get a conviction? Even if you did you can still go on Erasmus to the Netherlands.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Did you get a conviction? Even if you did you can still go on Erasmus to the Netherlands.

No I didn't get a conviction because I coach a football team and will have to be Garda vetted so he let me off.

It's more about the money. Took me 6 months to save up 1000 and my owl pair paid the rest so I owe it back

That's crazy. One pill is clearly not intent to distribute so I don't know why the fine was so high. How did they catch you?

They were undercover in the car park. I stupidly took it out of my car and put it in my pocket. About 30 seconds later they came over and searched me.

Sounds like they actively pursue people to try and catch them...I definitely didn't get that vibe at EP last year but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. It surely can't be that hard - they could just search anyone who was using and they'd get a heap of people in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they do the same at EP. i've seen people pulled out of the queue at random and sniffer dogs run up and down them and their belongings.

if they have reason to search someone, they often will. more money for the court/local area, better stats for the garda/their division.
    i'm surprised it's not done a lot more here, when i've been to events in England they've had sniffer dogs at entrances that everyone had to go by...

Advertisement