Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I've never been to Life before. What's the crowd like? Is it scummy at all? I don't mean to sound snobby but I'm just not able for dirtbags anymore.

Dirtbags are the minority and are fairly outnumbered by peace out/love buzz/session on types! Most trouble free festy I've been to in a while.

radiata wrote: »
    Saw Dusky play a few months back, very good gig. Also looking forward to Blawan and Hot Since 82. I wonder is this the last announcement or will there be a few more additions.
    Thought I knew my dance music but there are a lot from those 2nd additions I don't know, are many Irish DJs? I'll have to check them out.
    It can be exciting going to a DJ you havent heard of, they can pull off brilliant sets

Blawan couldn't play as Karenn last year, lost their gear on the flight over..so I guess having him play solo AND with Pariah is a way of making up for it!

Ahhh memories..getting chills from this set again! https://soundcloud.com/sunilsharpe/blawan-b2b-sunil-sharpe-life

I don't know the majority of the names either, but that's part of the festival experience....ending up in a random tent at a random hour losing your mind to a random Dj!

Just like me in the liquid tent last year...if anyone remembers who was playing that slamming sort of 'progressive' D&B then shout! Not as full on as most drum&bass, more liquid like..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Anyone know will there be any bit of chilled out music playing earlier on in the day.
    I find it's nice to hear a bit of it after a mad night of techno.
    I'm not able anymore for mad dubstep or 128bpm when you step out of the tent first thing in the morning

radiata wrote: »
    Anyone know will there be any bit of chilled out music playing earlier on in the day.
    I find it's nice to hear a bit of it after a mad night of techno.
    I'm not able anymore for mad dubstep or 128bpm when you step out of the tent first thing in the morning

Not sure but last year there was a very small tent down near the psy stage that was playing chilled glitchy-electronica-hop type stuff, lovey relaxed vibe in there! Twas late in the evening when I was there though.
    Might be good to ask your question on the Life facebook page, mods might be in a better position to answer :)

Some of this will wake you up, fingers crossed that it gets played out during Karenn's set! :cool: Minds will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

SamAK wrote: »
    Not sure but last year there was a very small tent down near the psy stage that was playing chilled glitchy-electronica-hop type stuff, lovey relaxed vibe in there! Twas late in the evening when I was there though.
    Might be good to ask your question on the Life facebook page, mods might be in a better position to answer :)

Some of this will wake you up, fingers crossed that it gets played out during Karenn's set! :cool: Minds will be lost.

It was the Lectro-Soul Tent, across the path from the Psy Stage, a small white Moroccan style tent, which was the chill out stage, on Friday night there was some of the best ambient dub reggae played in there and as your man SamAk said above of other ambient genres throughout the weekend.
    Kinda like the Fusion Tent that was in the Body & Soul festival main arena 2013.
    dsc03930.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

That's some track alright, would be great at about 3am when the place is pumping :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If I were a mod i'd ban him on principle! :) Really looking forward to LFO, wonder if he'll blow the subs with the title track....you know the one..:D

Yes, feck that....bigger festivals normally mean a massive Garda presence, a sh1t-ton of security, miles and miles and MILES of Orwellian security fence.....and a complete lack of that key ingredient - vibe!

Picked up my ticket yesterday, can't wait for this now. LFO will be the first time I'll make a conscious effort to stand back from the speakers at a gig, don't want any brown note going on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What's the story with I.d for life? One of my mates younger bros wants to tag along but he's only 17, are they strict? Do they I.D anybody? Never seen anybody asked for I.d at a festival before or been asked myself so i'd be surprised if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Just like me in the liquid tent last year...if anyone remembers who was playing that slamming sort of 'progressive' D&B then shout! Not as full on as most drum&bass, more liquid like..:confused:

Calibre?

Anyway Mala is playing this year,gonna be my highlight.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Picked up my ticket yesterday, can't wait for this now. LFO will be the first time I'll make a conscious effort to stand back from the speakers at a gig, don't want any brown note going on :cool:

The full weekend?

WOOOMP SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Live music has been an integral part of Life Festival from the very beginning, so it gives us great pleasure to announce this lineup of some of the best bands on the Irish music scene today.

1278176_10152274377973686_1897227585_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

seeing "The Yips" on a lineup poster always gives me a cheap chuckle. Though I think I remember seeing them and they were decent.

Kormac's Big Band will definitely be a highlight!

Another Four Tet Boiler Room set from 2012, canna wait.

Bedlam stage:
    1979167_306755786144654_3026934929864053578_o.jpg

And so it begins.....

SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES SET TIMES

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Gonna be losing my Life virginity this year, bought my ticket on Sunday! Very excited to see Groove Armada, Four Tet, Karenn, Blawan, Kraviz, Klock... I could go on...and still discovering some fantastic producers as I explore the lineup that I haven't heard of!

Reading back through the thread it looks like the kind of festival vibe I would be perfectly at home at! Anyone know what the food stalls are like there? Any cool tents you can just pan out at during the day? How late do the stages go on past midnight and is there any festival run or third party run wee-hour-in-the-morning areas or stages?

More excited for this than EP at the mo!

i think most of the stages went until around 3/4, and two of them went until 6am
    on the Sunday everything finished around midnight which was a bit crap.

food was good, usual burger/sausage chips vans, ecobus with falafel wraps,curries, steak sandwiches. one of the double decker pizza vans that is at most festivals. a few other bits and pieces.
    not as extensive as EP, but not the worst either.

i think most of the stages went until around 3/4, and two of them went until 6am
    on the Sunday everything finished around midnight which was a bit crap.

food was good, usual burger/sausage chips vans, ecobus with falafel wraps,curries, steak sandwiches. one of the double decker pizza vans that is at most festivals. a few other bits and pieces.
    not as extensive as EP, but not the worst either.

I think that was only due more so to the heavens opening up five minutes after Modeselektor finished, the weather was mostly perfect for most of the weekend, but it absolutely lashed after Modeselektor onwards, so I can understand other stages calling it a day, was pretty wore out by that time myself after a solid weekend of it.

I think that was only due more so to the heavens opening up five minutes after Modeselektor finished, the weather was mostly perfect for most of the weekend, but it absolutely lashed after Modeselektor onwards, so I can understand other stages calling it a day, was pretty wore out by that time myself after a solid weekend of it.
    i think the timetable had everything finishing up early on Sunday night from what i remember, and we were wandering around for at least 30mins after the main stage finished looking for anything to be on before it started raining. lots of other people doing the same.
    don't think thew weather had any effect on stages closing, especially as several were covered anyway.

volunteer applications are due to go online soon, so hopefully I'll get to do advance for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Anyone have an idea if this is likely to sell out? Want to go but won't be sure if I can until close to the date

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends how the weather pans out, if May turns out to be roasting and dry for a few weeks consider it to be a sell out, unless they have upped the capacity which I haven't heard anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Ah yeah, there will always be undercovers at any festival, just be somewhat sensible and don't be waving class A's around the place! Discretion is advised, no matter what festival you're at...

Let's all start doing the sun dance! Hoping for weather like last year!!!

:D:D

I vaguely remember at Lough Cutra in '08 (or was it '07?), a chap from Limerick went looking for a fight, three hours later, he was still looking ! all he got was hugs and laughs, he gave up and joined a bongo circle.

Good times:D

kingtubby wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea if this is likely to sell out? Want to go but won't be sure if I can until close to the date
    yes, highly likely. it sold out weeks in advance last year, and if anything, it's a more well-known festival with an even better lineup now.

Capacity is 8000x according to the traders application form!

So an increase of 3000 from last year, it was 5000 last year, thats a fair increase alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

8000 - Jeez that's quite an increase! Gone are days of 1000 friendly faces. Worries me a little bit. Hopefully won't change the vibes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Was brilliant last year!

Myself and my boyfriend both have work booked off for it this year. Not 100% sure if we are going yet. Line-up is fairly class though! Just difficult enough to get to from Cork without a car. One of the lads had a car last year..but he's in Oz now :( Might talk my brother into coming up with us...car...

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Was brilliant last year!

Myself and my boyfriend both have work booked off for it this year. Not 100% sure if we are going yet. Line-up is fairly class though! Just difficult enough to get to from Cork without a car. One of the lads had a car last year..but he's in Oz now :( Might talk my brother into coming up with us...car...

Is a bit tricky alright..getting myself back to Limerick required bumming a lift to Mullingar town, a train from there to Connolly in Dub, and a bus from Westmoreland St (carrying some fcuking heavy bags/tents) to Limerick.

I guess for you (if you can afford it), the best option would be train from Cork to Heuston and Connolly station to Mullingar..easiest and most comfortable but not cheapest!

Check if that offer is still on the irish rail site, I got a 20 quid return ticket from Limerick to Dublin a while back....as opposed to 50 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Was brilliant last year!

I know people in Cork organising a bus, you want a link? :D:D

Yep Life is one of the best around and its record since 2009 for good weather and the change of date from July to May has given unblemished sunshine. 2011 had a bit of drizzle and wind, but it has been great otherwise.

• Advertisement

Yep Life is one of the best around and its record since 2009 for good weather and the change of date from July to May has given unblemished sunshine. 2011 had a bit of drizzle and wind, but it has been great otherwise.

Being in May means it's pretty much the first proper festy of the season too, always gonna help with ticket sales.

Good weather last year, but wasn't 2012 even better? 2013 had a bit of drizzle the final day, if I remember rightly...

And on Monday, I got to stand in the car park fields for 5 hours directing traffic in the wind and rain, great fun :D

Advertisement