Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft extends virus warnings for Windows XP to 2015

• 17-01-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

Microsoft extends virus warnings for Windows XP to 2015

_72317532_000217340-1.jpg
    About 30% of all desktops are thought to be still running Windows XP

Microsoft has decided to continue providing virus warnings for the ageing Windows XP operating system until 2015.

The warnings were due to end on 8 April 2014 when all other support for the software is scheduled to stop.

However, the numbers still running the 12-year-old operating system convinced it to provide more help.

About 30% of all desktop computers are still running XP, according to figures from research firm Net Applications.

Microsoft explained its change of policy in a blogpost saying the feed of security information was the only support XP users would receive after 8 April this year.

This would mean that it continued to provide signatures for well-known malicious programs that will help Windows XP spot when viruses, trojans and other cyber-threats try to compromise a PC. The malware-spotting updates will be provided for Microsoft's Security Essentials and for a wide variety of corporate tools used to protect large numbers of PCs.

These security updates will be produced until 14 July, 2015.

However, security patches, regular updates and bug fixes for XP will stop as scheduled on 8 April.

In its blogpost, Microsoft warned users to stop using XP to ensure they stay safe.

"The effectiveness of anti-malware solutions on out-of-support operating systems is limited," said Microsoft. "Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today's threat landscape."

Despite its age, Windows XP has proved to have a long life on desktops in homes and businesses. This led Microsoft to keep selling it long past the date it was due to be removed from shop shelves.

This longevity is partly because of the poor reception that its successor Windows Vista received and because some businesses have found it hard to adapt to the changes introduced in Windows 7 and 8.

Source BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25758308

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Better than nothing I suppose. There's going to be some major crap hitting the fan this year when support for XP ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I got my laptop upgraded to windows 7 but would prefer XP any day, this is good news though that they will support it till 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

WikiHow wrote: »
    I got my laptop upgraded to windows 7 but would prefer XP any day, this is good news though that they will support it till 2015.

Like I know its personal preference but the user interface of XP is so dated now, its a complete pain going back to it from any modern operating system. Not to mention hardware/media support etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

How is it almost a third are still running XP if it is so dated do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Aside from eye-candy, XP is still as functional today as it was when it was first released. I have 3 machines on the go here and my XP machine is still my main rig. There are none of my needs that it can't handle over my newer Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines.

At the end of the day, if what you have does what you need? why rush down the Apple route by convincing yourself you must have the most recent system regardless of cost or requirements?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

They are only providing virus definitions til 2015, not OS updates and patches. XP end of life is still 8th April 2014.

I see an article in the paper today about ATMs still running on XP. If this is the case, the banks are idiots. They've had more than enough notice to upgrade their software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    They are only providing virus definitions til 2015, not OS updates and patches. XP end of life is still 8th April 2014.

I see an article in the paper today about ATMs still running on XP. If this is the case, the banks are idiots. They've had more than enough notice to upgrade their software.
    The one in the Independent? Irish journalists continuing to display their massive ignorance when it comes to anything remotely technological.

I'd be amazed if any ATMs had any recent XP security patches installed. These machines are incredibly locked down. They do not have an open internet connection. If an unauthorised user could get access to it, you're already doing it wrong, regardless of whether the machine is patched or not

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    The one in the Independent? Irish journalists continuing to display their massive ignorance when it comes to anything remotely technological.

I'd be amazed if any ATMs had any recent XP security patches installed. These machines are incredibly locked down. They do not have an open internet connection. If an unauthorised user could get access to it, you're already doing it wrong, regardless of whether the machine is patched or not

True, but there's obviously some issues needing to be addressed if the banks are actually commenting on this. Some of the older ATM's run Windows NT, I've heard. You'd be hoping that these arent exposed to the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

True, but there's obviously some issues needing to be addressed if the banks are actually commenting on this.
    Are they? The only reference in the Independent is "Spokesmen for Ulster Bank, Bank Of Ireland and AIB said that they were working to address the situation but were confident customers would not face any disruption". They all said that, did they? Amazing that they all used the same words. No direct quote of course. Was it spokesmen, or non-technical customer support?
    Some of the older ATM's run Windows NT, I've heard. You'd be hoping that these arent exposed to the internet!
    Some of the even older ATMS run OS/2 Warp. Support ended for that in 2006

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

WikiHow wrote: »
    They are only support the "anti virus package" if you can call it that, there will be no system support or security patches. Dont confuse the two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The banks are using embedded XP which is different and it's good for at least another two years.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/product-lifecycles.aspx
    Windows XP Professional for Embedded Systems - December 31, 2016

Advertisement