Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping! my story so far .....

Options
  • 17-01-2014 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi people,

I am new to this blog, or indeed any blog. Anyway, Id like to share with you, and receive your feedback on kicking the weed and taking to vaping.

I am 41 years old. Have been smoking for 27 years. I am also asthmatic ... I know, a bit of an oxymoron .. but anyway, for whatever reason, I had psyched myself up to finally attempt to kick the cigs, and did so on New years day. My partner and I bought the firebird kit and tomorrow, we will both be off the cigs 16 days.

I LOVED cigarettes. I ate them. I made love to them. I panicked if I was running out of them. I relished them if I went without one for more than 2 hours and then lit up ... it was bliss when I finally did..

When I stared vaping on new years day, I wont say it was easy. Im convinced that cigarettes contain more than just nicotine to keep us addicted - because even though we were getting our nicotine fix through vaping, for the first two weeks, we felt like we were missing 'something', we felt detached for want of a better word. We invested in firebird, and I never thought I would ever ever say this, but we are 16 days off them, and I dont miss the cigs one bit. seriously.

Now ... heres food for thought. Apparently there was a film brought out several years ago - russell crowe who was a whistle blower in a huge american cigarette company who revealed that cigarette manufacturers add more than just nicotine to keep us hooked. This makes sense. Twice, Ive lit up a real cig, but did not get the usual kick from it. It didnt make sense in my mind. I thought - 'Im getting the nicotine, so wheres the problem?'. So perhaps it adds up. All I know that my peak flow has doubled in almost 3 weeks (I do go to the gym also) I hardly use my inhalers now. So, so far, I can only see the benefits of vaping.

I have no doubt that the government will soon be putting propaganda out there telling us of the dubious dangers of vaping, but I believe this will be only as a result of the downturn in tax they make off cigarettes.

Would love to hear your stories ....

regards,

Nursey :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Im convinced that cigarettes contain more than just nicotine to keep us addicted - because even though we were getting our nicotine fix through vaping, for the first two weeks, we felt like we were missing 'something', we felt detached for want of a better word.
    Now ... heres food for thought. Apparently there was a film brought out several years ago - russell crowe who was a whistle blower in a huge american cigarette company who revealed that cigarette manufacturers add more than just nicotine to keep us hooked. This makes sense. Twice, Ive lit up a real cig, but did not get the usual kick from it. It didnt make sense in my mind. I thought - 'Im getting the nicotine, so wheres the problem?'. So perhaps it adds up.
    No "perhaps" about it, it's scientific fact. There are other alkaloids besides nicotine in tobacco that act towards the soothing feel of a cig as well as the carbon monoxide (so relaxing) never mind the approved list of 599 additives allowed in cigarettes, some put in for flavour, some to increase the uptake of alkaloids, others to make the cigarette burn at their preferred speed when it's out of your mouth (i.e. fast).
    I have no doubt that the government will soon be putting propaganda out there telling us of the dubious dangers of vaping, but I believe this will be only as a result of the downturn in tax they make off cigarettes.
    No need to worry about them doing it soon, they've been doing it for the past two years around the world. James Reilly is a bona fide spineless, ignorant or malicious scumbag.

Read here if you want to see what the EU has been trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Well done OP, onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Well done!

Day 15 myself and not missing the real things in the slightest. I have had many many failed attempts to not smoke over the years, this has been my most pleasant so far ðŸ˜ðŸ˜:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Nice post. I smoked for 25 years and tried all manner of NRT to kick the habit with limited success, managed to give up for 3 months previously but always fell off the wagon. For me, vaping has been a revelation - soon after switching I had absolutely no interest in cigarettes, been off them for 5 months and have zero interest in going anywhere near tobacco now. I intend to cease vaping at some point as I don't feel compelled to maintain an addiction of any sort but for the moment I'm enjoying vaping for what it is in the knowledge that I'm not subjecting my health to the ravages of the demon weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Love seeing new names in this forum. Smoking is dying, vaping is living!

• Advertisement

It's great isn't it? Wonder what made them all pop out the same week?

PS forgot to say "Welcome!" before/after my little diatribe. Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

grindle wrote: »
    It's great isn't it? Wonder what made them all pop out the same week?

PS forgot to say "Welcome!" before/after my little diatribe. Welcome!

In my case it was I lasted longer than I thought without a cig after my stop date :-) plus it was nice to see other people who had just started too and I didn't feel so intimidated!

I have been reading here for the guts of 6 months and ended up more confused with each thread I read lol I just wanted to stop smoking proper cigs. I can't for sure say this won't end up an equally expensive hobby, but for now I am not smoking but not being an insufferable monster like I have been on previous attempts :-)

TFK wrote: »
    I have been reading here for the guts of 6 months and ended up more confused with each thread I read lol I just wanted to stop smoking proper cigs.

The cycle of the forum. Best to interject to stop us from talking too much tech. Make sure you join the 'Irish Vaping' group on FB too, most chat has migrated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Here now grindle you and I are still here so that's all anyone could ever ask for right... Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Eh no, I want a Yacht, a playboy model and a new mod too.....:p

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Here now grindle you and I are still here so that's all anyone could ever ask for right... Right?

Green Hornet still posts whenever he gets the time in his schedule away from the Nicorette Quickmist forums.
    But yeah. I'll arrogantly assume the mantle of being one half of all that anyone could ask for. You being my other half. GF gon B maaaad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NurseRatched

No "perhaps" about it, it's scientific fact. There are other alkaloids besides nicotine in tobacco that act towards the soothing feel of a cig as well as the carbon monoxide (so relaxing) never mind the approved list of 599 additives allowed in cigarettes, some put in for flavour, some to increase the uptake of alkaloids, others to make the cigarette burn at their preferred speed when it's out of your mouth (i.e. fast).

No need to worry about them doing it soon, they've been doing it for the past two years around the world. James Reilly is a bona fide spineless, ignorant or malicious scumbag.

Read here if you want to see what the EU has been trying to do.
    Cheers Grindle,

I appreciate your reply and your common sense. Glad to hear I am not alone in my ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

The cycle of the forum. Best to interject to stop us from talking too much tech. Make sure you join the 'Irish Vaping' group on FB too, most chat has migrated there.

Been lurking for the last couple of weeks. 12 months of the Cigarettes but got addicted to the Nicorette inhaler which actually made my breathing worse. Vaping with a starter kit and Menthol juice and really feeling the difference. Like the above poster totally over awed by all the techy type names etc, but I'll figure it out. Great info here.

I looked to joing the F/B group, do I need to send my username from here?

EDIT..... Just got accepted, Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Green Hornet still posts whenever he gets the time in his schedule away from the Nicorette Quickmist forums.
    But yeah. I'll arrogantly assume the mantle of being one half of all that anyone could ask for. You being my other half. GF gon B maaaad.

Hey now! I still vape 0mg - 6mg on my trusty spheroid and MVP. I use the quickmist if I'm in situations where I need a dart of nic quickly. Still have my trusty Boges and tank as well.

That's one of my gripes though actually. There's not a whole lot of 3-4mg juices out there and 0mg on its own is largely useless.

I've settled on the spheroid though. Have it for a year now so I don't really buy a lot of stuff anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Hey now! I still vape 0mg - 6mg on my trusty spheroid and MVP. I use the quickmist if I'm in situations where I need a dart of nic quickly. Still have my trusty Boges and tank as well.

That's one of my gripes though actually. There's not a whole lot of 3-4mg juices out there and 0mg on its own is largely useless.

I've settled on the spheroid though. Have it for a year now so I don't really buy a lot of stuff anymore.

You do know if you mix 0mg and 6mg 50/50 you will get 3mg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Heh, yeah, but its a bit of hassle. It would just be handy to be able to buy some 3mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Why has it migrated to FB? most experts are here!! then again it's good that the kids are getting the message:D

Advertisement