Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it difficult to learn to colour your own hair?

• 17-01-2014 8:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭running the roads

Hi the prices in salons are shocking. I top it up with Nouvelle every 2 weeks but I'm wondering whether it would be possible to learn to do the main colour myself? is it difficult to differentiate between the roots which have no colour and that which has been done several times at the middle and end? It would be a useful skill to learn if I could and maybe just go to a hairdresser for a cut? Does anyone else do it and can anyone offer advice?

By the way my hair is bright red (which turns copper in the wash)

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I dye my hair all the time (except if I want highlights or anything). Generally I just dye my roots first and leave the dye on for the time specified in the instructions, then put it in the lengths and ends for the rest of the development time to refresh the all-over colour. This prevents colour buildup, especially as I use dark colours. Usually the roots are easy to find, especially near the the top of your head.

I wouldn't recommend a DIY job if your hair needs prelightening though, best to leave that to a hairdresser. But otherwise, once you have your shade right, it should be fine. Make sure you have an old towel, sectioning clips etc. I put Vaseline around my hair line and ears before I start to prevent my skin getting stained. Unfortunately it's impossible prevent any drips escaping!

Good luck! I've been dying my hair myself since I was 11 with no major disasters so it's not too complicated :)

I always do it, kinda have to with red unless you want to be forking out a lot every 3-4 weeks
    They've instructions and pictures in the l'oreal ones anyway, just apply the nozzle yoke to roots only, wait as long as it says, then massage it into the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I get mine done in the salon maybe every 4 months and in between I do it myself. My hair is longish and quite thick so it's a bit of a hassle, and I'm not great at styling my hair etc. in general.. so if I can do it, anyone can. :) I basically do it the same way that they do it in the salon. Do the roots on the parting first and then keep parting it and apply it to the rest of your roots, then wait for some time and use the colour all over to refresh it, then rinse. I do go to the salon a few times a year to make sure the colour still looks kind of even. I once went almost a year without getting it done in the salon and it started to look a bit patchy, especially on the back which I always find hardest to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭running the roads

Thanks all, do Salon supply stories normally sell Salon dyes to non hairdressers?

I'd like to do course and learn some basic's, not for professional usage, but for myself, family or the odd friend. Don't really have the time now but in six or 9 months I might.

Is Fas a good bet?.

Advertisement