Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftSMS - Simply sending Beautiful Webtexts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Glad to hear it.
    It might have been an issue with the Three site at the time, or maybe your internet connection wasn't great at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

One question

My sent messages do not show up on my default message app. I am on Android. Is this standard not to show?

Thanks

That's a new security thing introduced in Android 5.0.
    All versions prior to that storing sent SMS messages worked.

In Lollipop you need to be rooted to save sent messages.
    If you are,
    Install AppOps Root
    From the app, install AppOps Root
    Reboot
    Now in AppOps Root, switch to the Messaging tab
    Select SwiftSMS
    Enable Write SMS permission

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    That's a new security thing introduced in Android 5.0.
    All versions prior to that storing sent SMS messages worked.

In Lollipop you need to be rooted to save sent messages.
    If you are,
    Install AppOps Root
    From the app, install AppOps Root
    Reboot
    Now in AppOps Root, switch to the Messaging tab
    Select SwiftSMS
    Enable Write SMS permission

Thanks on Android 5.1.1 and tried to install app but kept on crashing??

No biggie as can still send messages

I'm on 5.1.1 myself with a Nexus 4.
    I don't know a huge amount about the AppOps app but my impression is, if your phone is rooted you should be able to use it.

There are other AppOps apps on the Play Store so you could maybe try some of those. They will all require your phone be rooted though.

• Advertisement

I'm on 5.1.1 myself with a Nexus 4.
    I don't know a huge amount about the AppOps app but my impression is, if your phone is rooted you should be able to use it.

There are other AppOps apps on the Play Store so you could maybe try some of those. They will all require your phone be rooted though.

Thanks yes its rooted and installed it but when I launched it the app kept on crashing. Will have a look at other apps if you know of any let me know

Cheers

I have only used the AppOps Root app which I linked above, so I can't say if any of the others work.
    But there is loads of the available, https://play.google.com/store/search?c=apps&q=AppOps

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Would swiftsms work on a basic phone like the smart 4 ?http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-4-mini-pay-as-you-go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

anyone else find swiftsms when used inside ireland by a former 02 customer the texts aren't delivering when you text foreign numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

anyone else find swiftsms when used inside ireland by a former 02 customer the texts aren't delivering when you text foreign numbers?

Yes, have had similar issue, I think it is more o2/three issue though more the app.

• Advertisement

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Would swiftsms work on a basic phone like the smart 4 ?http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-4-mini-pay-as-you-go
    Powered by Android 4.2
    That's all you need to know. SwiftSMS works on all Android phones from Android 3.0 and up.

I've had another user report this same issue. Tested it myself and found the same thing. I'm not sure what's causing it atm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am having trouble setting up an O2 account

User name is the phone number and then the password

Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I am having trouble setting up an O2 account

User name is the phone number and then the password

Am I missing something?

There's a new Swiftsms specifically for former 02 customers. You have to download this special version of Swiftsms onto your Phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Any chance of captcha Vodafone auto-solving? :D

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Any chance of captcha Vodafone auto-solving? :D

Unlikely :D

Although .... https://github.com/SwiftSMS/Android ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Updated to latest android os.

Anyway of storing the sent message in the main text app as it's no longer working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

A few days ago, I sent 2 text messages via SwiftSMS (1 to an Irish mobile and 1 to an English mobile). Both are displayed as 'Sent'. Why are they not being delivered? :(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

funnyname wrote: »
    Updated to latest android os.

Anyway of storing the sent message in the main text app as it's no longer working?

I had this also back a while. Lollipop doesn't allow it. If the phone is rooted it's possible but not otherwise.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I had this also back a while. Lollipop doesn't allow it. If the phone is rooted it's possible but not otherwise.

Thanks, a bit off opic but how easy is it to roll back to previous os?

Thanks, a bit off opic but how easy is it to roll back to previous os?

I'm no expert on this but to do so I believe you need to be rooted & if you doing it to save sms to the default app then it can be done with root alone & another app (not sure of the name) which can give swift sms write permission.

• Advertisement

Does the app keep a copy of the sent text, if not can it be updated to?

Does the app keep a copy of the sent text, if not can it be updated to?

No, as the app doesn't have a sent folder itself & due to a change in the way permissions are handled in lollipop it cannot write sent messages to the default sms app. The developer would need to turn it into a full sms app to save the sent messages.

Worztron wrote: »
    A few days ago, I sent 2 text messages via SwiftSMS (1 to an Irish mobile and 1 to an English mobile). Both are displayed as 'Sent'. Why are they not being delivered? :(

If it displays "Sent" in SwiftSMS it's most likely an issue on the operators website. SwiftSMS sends a request to the website to send a webtext and checks the response from the website for a "success" message. While not being 100% bullet proof this generally should mean is SwiftSMS shows "Sent" there is probably not much more that can be done.

There is a possibility that SwiftSMS is checking the response for a "success" message that also gets returned in certain error scenarios. If this is the case the app will need to be updated to do a better check.
    Which network are you having these issues on?
    No, as the app doesn't have a sent folder itself & due to a change in the way permissions are handled in lollipop it cannot write sent messages to the default sms app. The developer would need to turn it into a full sms app to save the sent messages.

.. The developer, or anyone else with the skills, time and interest ;)
    https://github.com/SwiftSMS/Android

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pure Loonamus

* <b>Muhahahahahahahahahahah</b>

Love the insightful comments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

If it displays "Sent" in SwiftSMS it's most likely an issue on the operators website. SwiftSMS sends a request to the website to send a webtext and checks the response from the website for a "success" message. While not being 100% bullet proof this generally should mean is SwiftSMS shows "Sent" there is probably not much more that can be done.

There is a possibility that SwiftSMS is checking the response for a "success" message that also gets returned in certain error scenarios. If this is the case the app will need to be updated to do a better check.
    Which network are you having these issues on?

Hi Fluffy88.

I was with O2, then they became Three Ireland sometime last March. The only option that I could successfully setup in SwiftSMS was 'O2 on Three'.

My Android version is quite old (4.1.1). The texts showed up in my default SMS app without issue unlike recent posts here that use a newer version of Android.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    Just back from France and I want to start using Swift SMS with my O2/Three webtexts. The thing is I can add my account but anytime I try to send messages they will not go through? Is this because of the security code check that is done on the website? If so any idea will this be fixed in the future?

Cheers,
    M

Don't know if I've found something or not. I've been able to get Swiftsms to write sent messages to my default sms app without rooting. I've got Android version 5.0.2. I just discovered it by accident. Go to Settings - Security - App Permissions - swipe to Personal & choose Swiftsms. I then changed write permission from 'Ignore' to 'Allowed'. When I send a message it's now in the default sms app.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Don't know if I've found something or not. I've been able to get Swiftsms to write sent messages to my default sms app without rooting. I've got Android version 5.0.2. I just discovered it by accident. Go to Settings - Security - App Permissions - swipe to Personal & choose Swiftsms. I then changed write permission from 'Ignore' to 'Allowed'. When I send a message it's now in the default sms app.

This is fantastic, thanks for pointing this out. Works perfectly for me on stock/not rooted CM12.1 on OnePlus One. android version 5.1.1.

Slightly different place - Settings > Apps (under Personal heading) > SwiftSMS.
    Then pressed the Modify button under Permissions and changed the Write SMS DB permission to Allowed (it was Ignored).

Wonder if this is just CM12 feature or all android? Will check on a stock MotoG later.

EDIT: Damn - seems like this could be a CM feature alright - I tried on a stock Nexus 4 on 5.1.1 and I was not able to modify any permissions. Just noticed on the OnePlus One that it's Privacy Guard that opens when I press 'Modify'.

EDIT: Damn - seems like this could be a CM feature alright - I tried on a stock Nexus 4 on 5.1.1 and I was not able to modify any permissions. Just noticed on the OnePlus One that it's Privacy Guard that opens when I press 'Modify'.

I'm using the Vodafone smart ultra 6, no modifications to it.

• Advertisement

I can confirm that it's not a stock Android feature and I would be highly surprised if any of the major players included the menu option in their verisons.

CM and many of the other custom ROMs will have a similar menu option, but it's not a solution for the masses unfortunately.

Advertisement