Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftSMS - Simply sending Beautiful Webtexts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

No plans to make SwiftSMS a default messaging app, sorry.

It's not really necessary imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    No plans to make SwiftSMS a default messaging app, sorry.

It's not really necessary imo.

Well it really would be the logical next step. It's biggest drawback is that you are unable to keep track of SMS conversations given that incoming messages go to a different app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Well it really would be the logical next step. It's biggest drawback is that you are unable to keep track of SMS conversations given that incoming messages go to a different app.

But the sent messages are also stored in the default sms so you do have the full conversation.

jgbyr wrote: »
    But the sent messages are also stored in the default sms so you do have the full conversation.

Oops very true I didn't notice that.

I do know if we show the last few messages from your conversation it would be a great feature, I won't argue with that.

But having SwiftSMS be the main messaging adds a huge amount of management to the app, for example, displaying conversations, deleting messages, deleting conversations, showing message details, handling MMS, etc, etc, etc...
    There would be a fairly large amount of work involved in getting SwiftSMS up to scratch as a default SMS app. A large amount of fairly boring features.

Whereas keeping it the way it is we can do almost all of what's wanted of a webtext app without having that extra unneeded stuff.

EDIT: Again, imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 magical marshmallow

Hey guys,

Just got SwiftSMS there. I am a potential Cabbage convert. My message didn't send however. I had problems with Cabbage not receiving the number of messages remaining and wonder if it's a similar thing? I am currently abroad, so perhaps that makes a difference

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Similar position to magical marshmallow. Downloaded and tried to send from abroad (on o2) but no luck at all.

Hey guys,
    I don't know but I assume O2 have a different webtext system for when you are abroad.
    We will have to look into what's different and see about adding support to SwiftSMS for O2 when abroad.

For now though, I'm sorry it's not supported as we haven't run into this yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pure Loonamus

You may take a holiday fluffy to sort this abroad issue ;) Love the recent contacts feature btw, nice addition..

haha yeah, know anywhere nice?? :p

• Advertisement

Basically the difference is that they require you to enter a verification code.
    Making some reasonable assumptions: You login, it recognises a non-irish IP, asks to send you a unique code a message. You enter this and then you can send a message.
    Simple - ish, unless you use webtexts because you have no signal in a basement and it renders the service useless

Hope this helps

haha yeah, know anywhere nice?? :p

Do you actually have to do the testing physically from the phone? If you can do it from PC/Mac then you could try a proxy/free VPN solution. You could mimic coming in from an address outside Ireland.

proxymesh.com
    spotflux.com

I generally do test using my phone, it's a lot faster than using the Android emulator.

Yeah using a VPN is the simplest way to test this, there is ways to configure phones to use VPNs or if that's too hard I can probably configure my router at home to use a VPN and just connect the phone to the WiFi.

Either way, thanks for the links, they'll come in handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I generally do test using my phone, it's a lot faster than using the Android emulator.

Yeah using a VPN is the simplest way to test this, there is ways to configure phones to use VPNs or if that's too hard I can probably configure my router at home to use a VPN and just connect the phone to the WiFi.

Either way, thanks for the links, they'll come in handy :)

I was in the UK on EE at the weekend and when I launched the app on WiFi or on mobile data it would not even load the amount of remaining web-texts I had left, let alone send one......

Cheers and keep up the good work guys!

Your on Tesco right?

They might have a roaming block on their webtexts aswell, you didn't try using the website while over there by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

They might have a roaming block on their webtexts aswell, you didn't try using the website while over there by any chance?
    That makes absolutely no sense.

That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?
    If you send your SMS via a Web interface, they're sent from the same location regardless if you're accessing the site in Ireland or abroad. They may block international SMS, but that's got nothing to do with roaming.

If the operator decides they don't want their users sending free webtexts while the user is abroad, they can quite easily block access to their webtexts from foreign IPs.

If the operator decides they don't want their users sending free webtexts while the user is abroad, they can quite easily block access to their webtexts from foreign IPs.
    I'm sure they could. Which ones do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Your on Tesco right?

Yep mate, Tesco Mobile here but I was using an O2 account in Swift SMS when over there (I ran out of Tesco web texts). I didn't think to try the main O2 website while I was there. As soon as SwiftSMS loaded up the icon keep turning in the top right hand corner where the number of messages left is normally displayed. I just loaded it up there now at home and it displayed the number of remaining messages pretty much immediately!?

Cheers,
    M

I'm sure they could. Which ones do so?
    O2
    madmoe wrote: »
    Yep mate, Tesco Mobile here but I was using an O2 account in Swift SMS when over there (I ran out of Tesco web texts). I didn't think to try the main O2 website while I was there. As soon as SwiftSMS loaded up the icon keep turning in the top right hand corner where the number of messages left is normally displayed. I just loaded it up there now at home and it displayed the number of remaining messages pretty much immediately!?

Cheers,
    M

Ah that's okay, O2 require a second step verification while you are abroad, before you can send a webtext they text you a verification code.
    We will be adding support for this asap, thanks for the heads up :)

Any more info on support for O2's second step verification while abroad? Just tried to send a message with SwiftSMS in Belfast and no can do :(

No updates, haven't had a look into it yet.
    I'll try get some time for it this week.

Cool! Cheers :)

I'm on Vodafone and won't work from Spain.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    I'm on Vodafone and won't work from Spain.

I'll have to look into the Vodafone webtext site from outside Ireland as well so.
    Thanks for letting us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

O2

Ah that's okay, O2 require a second step verification while you are abroad, before you can send a webtext they text you a verification code.
    We will be adding support for this asap, thanks for the heads up :)

So this is why O2 stopped working on Cabbage! I live in Europe and just downloaded Swift because Cabbage doesn't work for me anymore. But sounds like Swift has the same issue as Cabbage then.

Yeah that's possibly why Cabbage has stopped working.
    I'm not sure how long O2 have had this second step, but it's there at least a few months now.

Hopefully we will add support for O2 webtexts from abroad soon, but I just got Watch Dogs last night so I can't give any estimates :P

• Advertisement

The second step has been around for quite a while, maybe 2 years or more, but O2 seem to love to tinker with their website and stuff it up.
    Same as WhatsApp have moved the backup locations meaning SMS backup+ doesn't work

Advertisement