Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftSMS - Simply sending Beautiful Webtexts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

The second step has been around for quite a while, maybe 2 years or more, but O2 seem to love to tinker with their website and stuff it up.
    Same as WhatsApp have moved the backup locations meaning SMS backup+ doesn't work

I thought I was after finding a way around this there at the weekend. I've an Overplay subscription and you can use it on Android as well so I set it up on my phone. Overplay have 4 irish IP addresses (Dub 1, Dub 2, Dub 3, Dub 4) and when you use it on the laptop you can choose which one to connect to. Dub 1 doesn't work on o2.ie but Dub 2 and Dub 4 do. However I discovered on Android you can't choose which one to connect to it just automatically connects you to the first one (Dub 1) which doesn't work with O2. Argh....foiled again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Lucuma wrote: »
    I thought I was after finding a way around this there at the weekend. I've an Overplay subscription and you can use it on Android as well so I set it up on my phone. Overplay have 4 irish IP addresses (Dub 1, Dub 2, Dub 3, Dub 4) and when you use it on the laptop you can choose which one to connect to. Dub 1 doesn't work on o2.ie but Dub 2 and Dub 4 do. However I discovered on Android you can't choose which one to connect to it just automatically connects you to the first one (Dub 1) which doesn't work with O2. Argh....foiled again! :(

That is a viable workaround, you just need to find another VPN/Proxy with Irish IPs that will work.

I can't access the website atm, but if overplay.net allows for manual configuration of a VPN then you might be able to use one of the other overplay servers.
    If it does then you can use OpenVPN on Android to connect to any of the VPN servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    but if overplay.net allows for manual configuration of a VPN then you might be able to use one of the other overplay servers.
    QUOTE]

what do you mean by that?

I don't know anything about the service provided by overplay.net.
    But, if overplay uses OpenVPN as their VPN and they provide details of their servers that allow you to setup a VPN client manually instead of having to install and use a proprietary client provided by overplay.

That's what I meant really.

From a quick google it seems they do provide their server details for manual configuration.
    https://www.overplay.net/setup.php
    Again from a quick google this guide should help setting up OpenVPN on an Android device.
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/108/openvpn-configuration-on-android-instead-of-pptp-ipsec/p1
    Use the files obtained from overplay.net instead of those suggested in the above guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I use this app with Vodafone it is superb and it saves me money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Feature request

Background : Over the weekend I installed CM11 to my OUYA and gave it to my mother in law. She uses it on her 42" TV amd sits about 2 meters away from the screen.

The Problem : I've noticed this on my tablet but the issue was as bright as day on the 42" TV. There is a resounding amount of wasted white space in your app. Twin this with very small text. I know you guys are young and in the prime of life. However, there are many of us that have sight issues. An accessibility option where we can have the text set at 200% or 300% font size would be super, even if only on the large screen layout [tablet and above].

I agree there could be better large screen support.
    We could by default make things bigger when the screen space is there. We will put a task to do something about this.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

For now though, Android has accessibility built-in to it.
    In Settings you can set your device to increase font sizes for all apps.

I agree there could be better large screen support.
    We could by default make things bigger when the screen space is there. We will put a task to do something about this.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

For now though, Android has accessibility built-in to it.
    In Settings you can set your device to increase font sizes for all apps.

I have all android accessibility options enabled. It made little or no difference to Swift SMS. Although I only tried SSMS after turning them on so can't be sure. Either way, text is still quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It should be fairly easy to just copy your layouts for tablets etc... and then just increase the sizes on everything, should be less than a days work (Including testing) and is really easy at least for a short term solution.

It should be fairly easy to just copy your layouts for tablets etc... and then just increase the sizes on everything, should be less than a days work (Including testing) and is really easy at least for a short term solution.

twas what I was thinking but I'd never be as cheeky tell a developer how to do his job :)

"Tell me what to do OR tell me how to do it. Not both." is the mantra I "try" to work by :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I can be a bit blunt sometimes, just trying to help though!

Just to keep you in the loop.
    I have been working on the large screen support over the weekend. Right now I have most text scaling up x2 on 10" tablets and larger. There was one or two layout issues that I had to resolve before SwiftSMS could fully support text scaling and that's what slowed me down a lot.

Before I release this feature I'd like to add a toggle to enable/disable it in settings.
    I don't know if this is something everyone wants on their 10" tablet and there might be some people that would appreciate being able to enable it on their phones.
    So before I make it public I'll add a settings page where you can enable the feature.

If there is interest, I can push what I have right now to a Beta channel for early testing.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As an existing Cabbage user, I've downloaded and tried this and find it great - especially having access to the new Meteor webtext service with its international texts!

One thing though, I also have an O2 account but it won't verify when I try to add it. (Can log in on the O2 website fine and it works fine in Cabbage). I tried adding another family member's O2 account too and the same problem occurs - the verify button turns red after about five seconds.

As for feature requests, having failed texts saved is something I find very handy in Cabbage.

I'm getting the same thing on O2.
    They must have made another change to their site, thanks for the heads up!

Regarding failed messages.
    SwiftSMS won't discard a message that failed to send, it will notify you that the message could not be sent and the message will be kept so you can try sending again.

We felt storing a message that failed to send would be counter intuitive.
    Why would we write the SMS into your sent box when it's not actually sent. I believe this is how other SMS apps also operate.
    Have I interpreted you wrong here?

In Cabbage, failed texts aren't stored to the sent folder but Cabbage keeps a list of recent failed texts (and a list of recent sent texts) in the app itself that (for some inexplicable reason!) I find useful. Others mightn't see much sense in doing that though!

Anyway, loving the app and the excellent support on this thread! Keep up the good work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 alexpowermetal

I'm getting the same thing on O2.
    They must have made another change to their site, thanks for the heads up!

@Fluffy88 Any new on fixing that o2 problem when trying to add an o2 account? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OisinDunne

Hi,

I have a galaxy mini2 with Gingerbread but when I try to get swiftsms on play store, it says device not supported.

Any idea why....do you have the installer without having to go through the play store?

Tks

@Fluffy88 Any new on fixing that o2 problem when trying to add an o2 account? Thanks in advance.

None yet.
    I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, I'll let you know when I do.
    I'm on holidays this week, so I don't think I will have time to look into it until after.
    OisinDunne wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a galaxy mini2 with Gingerbread but when I try to get swiftsms on play store, it says device not supported.

Any idea why....do you have the installer without having to go through the play store?

Tks

Replied in more detail in the email you sent.
    To summarise, your phone probably runs Android 3.0 which isn't supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

None yet.
    I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, I'll let you know when I do.
    I'm on holidays this week, so I don't think I will have time to look into it until after.

Replied in more detail in the email you sent.
    To summarise, your phone probably runs Android 3.0 which isn't supported.

Enjoy the hols and I'll be eagerly awaiting the O2 fix mate ;-)

Hey everyone!
    Feels like an age since I done anything with the app, sorry it's been a busy few weeks for me :)

An update should be rolling soon out that will fix the O2 login problem. There was other very small tweaks too, not much though.

Change log
    * Move focus to message textbox after clicking a recent contact
    * Fix for O2 login
    * Updated keyboard used for adding Meteor accounts to use email keyboard
    * Fix for Vodafone message max char limit

• Advertisement

Hey everyone!
    Feels like an age since I done anything with the app, sorry it's been a busy few weeks for me :)

An update should be rolling soon out that will fix the O2 login problem. There was other very small tweaks too, not much though.

Change log
    * Move focus to message textbox after clicking a recent contact
    * Fix for O2 login
    * Updated keyboard used for adding Meteor accounts to use email keyboard
    * Fix for Vodafone message max char limit

Simply can't wait! Have you got Beta testers!!? The 02 fix is gonna be a life safer for me! Sick and tired of having to log into the website and seeing that stupid security code!!

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Simply can't wait! Have you got Beta testers!!? The 02 fix is gonna be a life safer for me! Sick and tired of having to log into the website and seeing that stupid security code!!

Cheers,
    M

Do you mean for sending texts while being abroad? :o
    I'm embarrassed to say, that's not quite there yet, honestly I haven't really looked into that too much at all :o

The O2 fix was because O2 made a change to their account login which broke our app so no-one could add a new O2 account.

Do you mean for sending texts while being abroad? :o
    I'm embarrassed to say, that's not quite there yet, honestly I haven't really looked into that too much at all :o

The O2 fix was because O2 made a change to their account login which broke our app so no-one could add a new O2 account.

No mate, I mean sending 02 texts from my device when I'm here in Ireland! I have seen the security code pop up a number of times in the browser when I'm here at home and that is what I thought you were working around!?

Thanks,
    M

hmm interesting, I've never seen that but then again I don't use O2 :pac:

The update is pushed to the Play Store so it's just a matter of waiting for it to roll out.

hmm interesting, I've never seen that but then again I don't use O2 :pac:

The update is pushed to the Play Store so it's just a matter of waiting for it to roll out.

OK, I've definitely seen the so called 'security code' a number of times and it will be interesting to see what happens with SwiftSMS for me.....I can't surely be the only one that sees it!?

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    OK, I've definitely seen the so called 'security code' a number of times and it will be interesting to see what happens with SwiftSMS for me.....I can't surely be the only one that sees it!?

Thanks,
    M

I get the security code issue when I try to use O2 webtext when logged onto the Irish Rail wifi. It seems the wifi provider uses a non-Irish IP address which makes O2 then think I'm outside the country! Maybe you're having a similar issue? What ISP(s) are you on when you experience this issue?

Quackster wrote: »
    I get the security code issue when I try to use O2 webtext when logged onto the Irish Rail wifi. It seems the wifi provider uses a non-Irish IP address which makes O2 then think I'm outside the country! Maybe you're having a similar issue? What ISP(s) are you on when you experience this issue?

It's been across the board mate i.e. sometimes I get the security code when I'm on WiFi then sometimes I get the code when I'm using mobile data. My main phone (Nexus 5) is on the Tesco Mobile network and I usually access the O2 website on it in Chrome to send my O2 SMS messages when either on WiFi or mobile data. I'm pretty sure there has been the odd occasion where in the Chrome desktop browser I have been asked for it but possibly more when I was actually abroad!

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Works excellently for Meteor so I now get to use the 100 free international webtexts in addition to the 300 for Irish phones. Saves sent messages in default SMS folder for latest Android O/S unlike cabbage.

funnyname wrote: »
    Works excellently for Meteor so I now get to use the 100 free international webtexts in addition to the 300 for Irish phones. Saves sent messages in default SMS folder for latest Android O/S unlike cabbage.

If Meteor customers use both SwiftSMS and Cabbage, we currently get the benefit of both Meteor's old and new webtext services and so can send up to 600 national and 100 international webtexts a month!

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    If Meteor customers use both SwiftSMS and Cabbage, we currently get the benefit of both Meteor's old and new webtext services and so can send up to 600 national and 100 international webtexts a month!

Now what would you want to do that for??

You could just use SwiftSMS for both :-)
    Try adding 2 accounts, one using new credentials, one with old.

Advertisement