Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftSMS - Simply sending Beautiful Webtexts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

That works perfectly

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Now what would you want to do that for??

You could just use SwiftSMS for both :-)
    Try adding 2 accounts, one using new credentials, one with old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Hi, am using Swiftsms on lollipop 5.01. Messages are delivered (Vodafone) but are not saved in my default app (handcent). Are you guys still maintaining the app or moved on to other projects? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luckycat

jgbyr wrote: »
    Hi, am using Swiftsms on lollipop 5.01. Messages are delivered (Vodafone) but are not saved in my default app (handcent). Are you guys still maintaining the app or moved on to other projects? Thanks

Just repeating this question - I'm using Swiftsms, Samsung Galaxy S5 with Meteor - since upgrading software yesterday, same problem as above.

luckycat wrote: »
    Just repeating this question - I'm using Swiftsms, Samsung Galaxy S5 with Meteor - since upgrading software yesterday, same problem as above.

Hi, found this is another thread. I've tried it & it works.
    quote="Fluffy88;"]Lollipop introduced a new security restriction on apps that are allowed to modify write permissions for SMS, so if you do a factory reset SwiftSMS can't give itself the write permission it needs to save your sent SMS's.

There is a workaround if you have a rooted phone using AppOps Root to manually enable write permission for SwiftSMS.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's a KitKat+ issue. The installed app needs to be selected as the default messaging app for both SMS and MMS.

AFAIR, to resolve this, the SwiftSMS developers will need to update the app manifest so that it is capable of managing both SMS and MMS and implement broadcast receivers for both. Only then will the option to select it as the default messaging app be available.

Or you can root your phone and hack the write permissions as suggested.

Is this project still being maintained?

• Advertisement

It worked fine for me when I had kitkat, it was after installing lollipop that it stopped writing to sent messages. As I said above, once I installed that app it allows Swiftsms permission to write and saves sent messages again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

jgbyr wrote: »
    It worked fine for me when I had kitkat, it was after installing lollipop that it stopped writing to sent messages. As I said above, once I installed that app it allows Swiftsms permission to write and saves sent messages again.
    No, it's a KitKat issue. I've had the same problem with a number of apps that receive and record SMS and had to update them accordingly.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, it's a KitKat issue. I've had the same problem with a number of apps that receive and record SMS and had to update them accordingly.

Whether it is or not, SwiftSMS also worked fine for me when I installed it on my KitKat device and also only stopped writing to sent messages when I recently updated to Lollipop.

Thanks jgbyr for flagging that workaround, I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I managed to workaround the issue in KitKat so SwiftSMS could still write sent messages to the SMS store.

Lollipop went a step further with the lock down of SMS and app permissions and so the workaround SwiftSMS was using is no longer working on Android 5 and above.
    I did spend some time looking into another way of getting around the issue when Lollipop first came out but I didn't get it working and haven't looked at it since.

The app isn't in active development as I've been busy with other things.
    I want to make it open source so that it won't depend on me having the time, but I'd also like to make sure it's got tests etc before I open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

If Meteor customers use both SwiftSMS and Cabbage, we currently get the benefit of both Meteor's old and new webtext services and so can send up to 600 national and 100 international webtext .

What is the difference bewteen the old and new meteor webtext services?

• Advertisement

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Not a lot. The new one looks different and let's you sent 100 international webtexts.

I don't think there is much else

Actually, webtexts I've sent through the old Meteor service in the past few days haven't delivered although they sent ok with the 'remaining messages' status decreasing as it should. Anyone else having problems with it?

Only reason I continue to use it is when webtexting from a Blackberry 10 device using Cabbage. SwiftSMS works on BB 10 too but there's no way of saving the sent texts on the device!

Quackster wrote: »
    Actually, webtexts I've sent through the old Meteor service in the past few days haven't delivered although they sent ok with the 'remaining messages' status decreasing as it should. Anyone else having problems with it?

Only reason I continue to use it is when webtexting from a Blackberry 10 device using Cabbage. SwiftSMS works on BB 10 too but there's no way of saving the sent texts on the device!

That sounds like the old Meteor website didn't send the message.
    SwiftSMS checks that the website displays Message Sent before reporting the message as sent. I'm not sure there is much else that we could do to ensure the message gets sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Does the app work on a windows phone?

I am phone shopping preswntly

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    That sounds like the old Meteor website didn't send the message.
    SwiftSMS checks that the website displays Message Sent before reporting the message as sent. I'm not sure there is much else that we could do to ensure the message gets sent.

Yep, both Cabbage and SwiftSMS reported the texts as sent but they never delivered. It seems to be working again for webtexts sent now though!

Does the app work on a windows phone?

I am phone shopping presently

As far as I know, SwiftSMS has only been written for Android and therefore will only run on Android and other OSes that can run Android apps. At the moment Android apps can't run on Windows Phone although Microsoft is rumoured to be considering allowing it. I wouldn't be depending on them doing so though!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Hi.
    Got moved from o2 to 3 today.
    Swiftsms no longer working.
    Have tried adding a new account for 3 but no joy.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jay Hatchell

Hi.
    Got moved from o2 to 3 today.
    Swiftsms no longer working.
    Have tried adding a new account for 3 but no joy.
    Any ideas?

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

webtext isn't working on the three website for old 02 customers (they are ironing out issues) so have to wait til they have that sorted first

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Lucuma wrote: »
    webtext isn't working on the three website for old 02 customers (they are ironing out issues) so have to wait til they have that sorted first

I can access webtext through the 3 website ok

• Advertisement

An update was pushed to the play store which should fix the problems with O2.

Since O2 customers don't use the regular Three webtext system you will still need to add your account as an O2 account.
    Lets us know if you have any issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Working for me now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Lucuma wrote: »

Webtexts being sent but not being delivered.

Are more people having this trouble?

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Webtexts being sent but not being delivered.

Are more people having this trouble?

O2 webtexts are working fine for me.

The only time I have an issue is when I try to send a webtext from outside Ireland. O2 have a verification step when using webtexts from outside Ireland which isn't supported by SwiftSMS currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Thanks for the 02/Three fix! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 deiseliving

Hi. My SMS is not working the last few days. It has a question mark in the top right hand corner where the number of text messages remaining should be. It won't allow me to send Sms. I am on 3. Thanks. Hope this will get sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hi. My SMS is not working the last few days. It has a question mark in the top right hand corner where the number of text messages remaining should be. It won't allow me to send Sms. I am on 3. Thanks. Hope this will get sorted soon.

Did you download the new version of SwiftSMS from the play store deise?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Did you download the new version of SwiftSMS from the play store deise?

I'm having the same problem. Latest version, but I'm just getting a question mark where the number of remaining webtexts is.

EDIT: I tried removing my account and re-adding it, but the verify button turns red. The exact same details work fine on the website. I'm assuming Three have made some back-end changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 deiseliving

maki wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. Latest version, but I'm just getting a question mark where the number of remaining webtexts is.

EDIT: I tried removing my account and re-adding it, but the verify button turns red. The exact same details work fine on the website. I'm assuming Three have made some back-end changes.

I am having exactly the same problem. Red highlighted on verify button with correct details inputted!!!

• Advertisement

I've had a few emails with the same complaint.
    maki is probably right 3 have made a change to their website that brakes the app.

Unfortunately I don't have a 3 account so I can't really test it. I'll try get a free sim this evening and hopefully fix it then.

Advertisement