Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd day new job, Computer FUBAR

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

100% my fault, not doing much and decided to upgrade to windows 8.1 from the hideous windows 8. I had been logging on with another users log in details.

I was asked for an email and password during set up. I didn't have and still don't have my company email. So I made up an email and password thinking it was only for some service by Microsoft I'd never again use. Mmmmm

So, I'm locked out of my PC and cannot provide sufficient information to get the random password I created :o

Any suggestions. There's no on site IT support.

Mods, please move if this is not the correct area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Okay, how easy is it to move to Apple? I wont to kill Microsoft to death.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Two things are possible, since you used an email address - this has created a Microsoft account which you can reset the password for:

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Alternatively, since you don't have IT support on site; you may need to reinstall Windows 8.1 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

Thread can be closed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

What company allows you to just fire on and upgrade your work PC like that. Is it not locked down and controlled centrally and the IT Dept would do upgrades?

advertsfox wrote: »
    Two things are possible, since you used an email address - this has created a Microsoft account which you can reset the password for:

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Alternatively, since you don't have IT support on site; you may need to reinstall Windows 8.1 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

Just saw this now, advertsfox.

I was speaking to microsoft and they said I didn't have enough info :o to get the password reset.

They said I'd have to reinstall windows 8. I'd put a call into an IT company and they were due to call out at 85 euro an hour.

In what I can only describe as an attempt to use Sherlock's Mind Palace I tried to recall what I would have typed and practically miracle like it came back to me. I guessed first time.

The mind is an amazing thing when under pressure. I'm rabbitting on a bit, but nobody's more surprised than I am that I thought of it :-) Thanks again.

• Advertisement

tui0hcg wrote: »
    What company allows you to just fire on and upgrade your work PC like that. Is it not locked down and controlled centrally and the IT Dept would do upgrades?

Ironically I'll be the one suggesting root and branch changes to everything incl. IT, so this really was a test *cough*

Still hating Microsoft. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

there is a way to set windows 8.1 to use a local admin account instead of a windows live account.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

smcgiff wrote: »
    Ironically I'll be the one suggesting root and branch changes to everything incl. IT, so this really was a test *cough*

Still hating Microsoft. :D

Agree with the sentiment about Microsoft but upgrading the OS on a work PC - asking for trouble!

Being able to do so, shame on your IT people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

coylemj wrote: »
    Being able to do so, shame on your IT people.

What's next, if he's sliding down the banisters and falls on his ear will you be blaming Health & Safety?

People are responsible for the consequences of their own hair-brained behaviour, as the OP himself acknowledges in his first line of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

mada999 wrote: »
    there is a way to set windows 8.1 to use a local admin account instead of a windows live account.
    Have a feeling I read that this option is only available in the retail pro version.
    One of many good reasons to stick with 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

What possessed you to take on a Operating System upgrade on your second day!! Rule Number One of IT.... NEVER upgrade unless there is a good reason... Dont go looking for trouble because computers will definitely provide them for you.

I would have downgraded to Windows 7 :D

I would have downgraded to Windows 7 :D

PFFFT - would have been happy to stick with XP:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

smcgiff wrote: »
    PFFFT - would have been happy to stick with XP:P

Really? XP will be more or less dead in a few months. Well, it will no longer be supported by Microsoft.

Windows 7 is far more intuitive than Windows 8 in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

from windows site

You may use the Windows 8 installation DVD to start the computer in safe mode.

Insert the Windows 8 DVD and boot from the disc.

a) Click on Repair your System.

b) Click on Advanced Startup Options.

c) Click on Windows Startup Settings.

d) Click on safe mode.

Once you are able to boot into safe mode, you may then try to login and check. You may also try creating a new user account and try login.

also here

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/f/forgot-password-windows-8.htm

Advertisement