Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about finding a new home for a horse whose number is now up

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Rips wrote: »
    Having seen a horse who was weak and dying of shock, fighting for life while vet refilled syringe, its not something I'd ever choose for my horse.

Any time I have seen a vet euthanise a horse they have never skimped on the drugs. It's usually two syringes one straight after the other. They pre-fill two so there isn't a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As with everything, I think people's experiences will greatly influence their preferences with regards to retiring older horses or the method used for putting them down on humane grounds. In addition, and unfortunately, some vets are better and/or more experienced than others in these situations. That will also play a role in how smoothly things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

fits wrote: »
    her troubles were over then sup dude although I agree its not pleasant. I've looked after the fallen animal recovery for a friend before but wouldn't like to with my own horse.

Oh I know, she wasn't even my horse. It was just after that long of her being about, it was odd having her body just dragged off and tossed on a pile of carcasses at the back of a lorry.
    I think it was cause she was older than I was at the time, and the owners had her for the same length of time I had been alive if not longer, which was why it didn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know what you mean, sup_dude. I got really upset when one of the cattle at home died - she was really friendly and practically a pet - and it was awful to see her being loaded onto a trailer to be brought to the knackery. It is the upsetting side to owning animals. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

As Ted Walsh said on telly 1 time "if you've got live stock, your going to have dead stock "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I brought a horse to the factory once. 😢. He busted a tendon shortly after I got him. I had him on box rest for three months or so and then gave him time off to recuperate. In the meantime I got my other riding horse onloan and ended up buying him. First horse was field sound but had the bowed tendon and kept doing himself injury in the field. Coming into September I knew I couldn't keep him. So I rang up the factory and made the arrangements. I brought him over myself and dropped him off and spent the rest of the day bawling. But after that it was a relief. I wasn't afraid that id get out there and see him with another serious injury that I wouldn't be able to afford to treat. To have kept him would have been pointless and at least he wasn't wasted. (id rather see a dead animal 'used' than buried -which isn't good for environment btw). I haven't regretted it since although I know some wont be able to fathom it. I have a 25 year old mare too who hasn't been ridden for years but acts as a companion to the others. She is prone to laminitis and it will probably get her some day but we have caught it on time thus far and she was absolutely tearing around at Christmas which is great to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

fits wrote: »
    id rather see a dead animal 'used' than buried -which isn't good for environment btw

Just out of complete curiosity as I couldn't find it, how come burying an animal is bad for the environment?
    I get it if an injection is used but any other form of death, wouldn't that not be the best thing for the environment?

Edit: I should mention that I generally completely accept that animals will die and all that. I was general the first with the gloves on during anatomy labs. It was more the unceremonious removal of an animal who was owned for the same amount of years that (you could say) my mother had me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well first of all, burying animals isn't allowed for disease and animal health reasons. While they decompose all sorts of pollutants could get onto watercourses or groundwater.

But also we put a lot into horses. A lot of resources which could be used elsewhere. Feed. The diesel that runs the tractor that harvests the feed. The energy that went into building the tractor. Whatever fertilisers or pesticides which may be used along the way. At least if you send a horse to the factory, or a kennels you are giving some of those resources back and a perfectly usable carcass is actually used rather than needlessly left to decompose.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I have to say I didn't mind my horse going into a truck full of carcasses in the least. Best of course if you don't watch something like that and then you won't have the memory of it.

I have two distinct memories of the day, walking him down the field for the last time, and seeing him, after he was shot.

He was only 8, but he had unsoundness issues which dogged since he was broken. As a stranger you could have looked at him and thought there was nothing wrong with him (the knackerman raised an eyebrow!) but lameness after lameness had altered his carriage, caused him muscle atrophy, affected his ability to thrive, and he just wasn't the same horse. He wasn't going to recover either. Its a sad thing, but in a way it reassures me that I did the right thing, as after he was dead, the image that I have of him, is with all the muscles in his body relaxed, for just that one last time he looked like the horse he used to be.

As fits say, better it was used to some end. My first preference would have been for him to go to the hunt, but he'd had plenty of bute and other medications in his short life.

You could apply the same sensibilities and say 'you wouldn't like the thought of a horse rotting in the ground', its just a matter of how you feel about it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 User2611

Rips wrote: »
    I have to say I didn't mind my horse going into a truck full of carcasses in the least. Best of course if you don't watch something like that and then you won't have the memory of it.

I have two distinct memories of the day, walking him down the field for the last time, and seeing him, after he was shot.

He was only 8, but he had unsoundness issues which dogged since he was broken. As a stranger you could have looked at him and thought there was nothing wrong with him (the knackerman raised an eyebrow!) but lameness after lameness had altered his carriage, caused him muscle atrophy, affected his ability to thrive, and he just wasn't the same horse. He wasn't going to recover either. Its a sad thing, but in a way it reassures me that I did the right thing, as after he was dead, the image that I have of him, is with all the muscles in his body relaxed, for just that one last time he looked like the horse he used to be.

As fits say, better it was used to some end. My first preference would have been for him to go to the hunt, but he'd had plenty of bute and other medications in his short life.

You could apply the same sensibilities and say 'you wouldn't like the thought of a horse rotting in the ground', its just a matter of how you feel about it I suppose.

I also have a gelding pony with a problem with his tongue. The vet said it was a lump he was born with and so can't eat properly. It is also very uncomfortable if a bit were to go in his mouth. I was thinking of the factory but what regulations are there now? He is chipped and the mark up was sent away to get the passport. Is it you have to have the passport for 5 years before bringing him to the factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

User2611 wrote: »
    I also have a gelding pony with a problem with his tongue. The vet said it was a lump he was born with and so can't eat properly. It is also very uncomfortable if a bit were to go in his mouth. I was thinking of the factory but what regulations are there now? He is chipped and the mark up was sent away to get the passport. Is it you have to have the passport for 5 years before bringing him to the factory?

How old is he? An adult horse issued with a passport will automatically be declared unfit for consumption, as no veterinary/medicinal history exists, and cannot go to the factory.

The knackery will still take him, but it will cost.

My local knackery charge €100 dead or alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

I have been following this thread with mixed feelings, it takes me back to my old horses that had to be put down, it was always done by injection and luckily, they all went very peacefully and at a very old age (between 25 and 35 years old for 5 of them). It is terrible to watch them being dragged once dead - but they are dead. I would have nightmares thinking of any of my pet horses arriving at the factory, and finding themselves in the smell of blood and death, after a life of treats, carrots and "Love you forever" kind of life.

This being said, most of us have been dreaming of these horses living free in the Wild West (of A), no matter if the weakest are caught by whatever predator and eaten alive, or break a leg and die in horrendous ways... factory is probably a more "humane" way to go?

Did you know that in France, they would have lost most of their breeds of heavy horses (Percherons, Boulonnais, etc..) if they hadn't been kept and bred for their meat?

Horses, dogs, cats.... they all die, and we are left sobbing and, at times, guilty. But life without them would be worse.

Advertisement