Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G-Box MX2

• 17-01-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I've been tooling around with XBMC the last few days on my raspberry pi, and I'm liking it. I had a playon hd mini media player already, which I'm thinking i'll replace with an xbmc box. The raspberry pi is grand, but it's a bit unstable, and the killer blow for me is the lack of a digital audio out (my AV receiver just passes through HDMI audio, and I'm not interested in upgrading that at this point).

So I did a quick google and saw some ouya love, but realised that also lacks digital audio output. So, I'm thinking of the G-Box MX2 from amazon.com. I'm going to the US in a week or so anyway, so for $104 it seems good value.

So, before I go ahead with it, any comments/concerns/suggestions from people on here who know much more about this stuff than I?

Thanks,

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Just to close this out, I went ahead and bought the MX2, and so far so good. I got the one with the slightly fancier remote/mouse, which seems to lose connectivity every so often, but apart from that it's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So it doesn't output full HD?
    *1080p decoded videos are scaled to 720p in XBMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭RonnieL

So it doesn't output full HD?

I have no idea! Honestly, I hadn't noticed that in the description, but I haven't really got much full hd content anyway. So far I've been using it to stream stuff from the internet and it's working well for that. In fact, I've mostly been using the android aspect of the box up to now rather than using xbmc. I just googled it there, and it seems I could get full hd by using the mx player on android rather than playing stuff via xbmc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

RonnieL wrote: »
    I have no idea! Honestly, I hadn't noticed that in the description, but I haven't really got much full hd content anyway. So far I've been using it to stream stuff from the internet and it's working well for that. In fact, I've mostly been using the android aspect of the box up to now rather than using xbmc. I just googled it there, and it seems I could get full hd by using the mx player on android rather than playing stuff via xbmc.

Strange ...... the Pi does 1080p with XBMC, so wondered why this device doesn't ..... or as you say the device does but its implementation of XBMC doesn't?

Advertisement