Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog walkers

• 17-01-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

anybody know where you can walk your dog off the lead around celbridge area..??
    we used to walk the back of castletown in the woods but they have now started to bring horses in, between me and my mam we have 5 dogs so cant walk there anymore.
    we are willing to travel if anyone knows of somehwere.

HELP :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh dear, there are a bunch of us who have arranged to take our dogs to Castletown House this weekend for a runabout.
    Whats the situation with the horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

op look up st catherines park in lucan / leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

If your in cellbridge this is what i'd do..

Google maps... look for open farmers fields near you...

Go there and in ya go!

I'm in Lucan and that is what I do with both of mine :D

If your in cellbridge this is what i'd do..

Go there and in ya go!

I'm in Lucan and that is what I do with both of mine :D

Oh I'd love to see the reaction to that in the farmers forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gumballmagic

i walk my dogs off lead in the central field of castletown park and then pop them back on a lead near the car park and paths were the babies and pram walkers are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Go there and in ya go!

Are you serious.. are you serious?
    You're advising people to trespass on someone else's land? :(
    Please tell me you seek the land owner's permission before you enter their land?

So are google maps now showing livestock in said fields? I would never take my dogs into a field unless I was accompanied by someone who owned it or had first sought permission.
    If dogs are found to be worrying sheep then farmers I believe are within their rights to shoot. Therefore I would not be taking the risk of letting my dogs run free on someone elses land.
    I would actively discourage anyone from taking the above advice of just rambling into a field found on Google maps.
    Do proper research first for your dogs safety and the safety of any livestock that may be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Rather than edit my post fully...

Clare24, use your brain before you go into any fields. If there are animals there don't be stupid like some people here obviously think I am.

Just to add...
    Any farmers who I have met who don't know me and who have seen me in their fields have never had any issues with me walking in their fields, ever.

If you need to, go and knock in and say it to any farmer, I have never had issues with this either.

Rather than edit my post fully...

Clare24, use your brain before you go into any fields. If there are animals there don't be stupid like some people here obviously think I am.

Just to add...
    Any farmers who I have met who don't know me and who have seen me in their fields have never had any issues with me walking in their fields, ever.

If you need to, go and knock in and say it to any farmer, I have never had issues with this either.

That's all well and good and I would say you have been very lucky to not have had any issues but I still think its irresponsible to be suggesting that people just google and ramble.
    You only have to read in the farming forum to understand this and the repercussions it can have.

In answer to the OP, I've addressed the situation of the horses with my other dog walking buddies who go there regularly and they said that the horses are easily avoidable if you stay away from certain area's. So its just a case of keeping your eyes open and cracking on from what I can gather.
    Going tomorrow myself and happy to give an update tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Are the horses free in a field or do people bring them in riding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

& what part of Castletown are the horses in ?? The other side of the river , or the house side???

Was there on Sunday and didn't see any horses. I'm not sure of the whole layout as went with friends but we were by the house and stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

OP, in terms of fields, it is slim pickings,

The main one in the immediate area would be Castletown house (which is the one you were walking in), then you have the wonderful barn (opposite side of the M4 to HP, not as large as castletown, but a nice quiet area to walk), the Hazelhatch canal which is at the little pup just up from wolsens abbey and then the maynooth canal.

Mind you, I have not walked around Leixlip since moving back to Baldoyle, so not sure what the dealio with them now.

Edit: And from what I remember, (after walking in castletown for 2 years every single day), there was only ever two incidents where there were horses present, they were both show's, and they didn't last past 12 o'clock on said day.

Advertisement