Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

V-Strom Suzuki's....looking for experiences of them....

• 17-01-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭

...don't know why, but I hanker after a new bike this year - well, new to me, not new-new if you get me.

My wife has an SV650S and it's a hoot. I really, really like the engine etc. So it got me to thinking of other SV-engined bikes, and the V-Stroms come to mind.

I think I'd prefer the 1000, but don't know anyone who's had one. There again, maybe the 650 version is better/more useful/more practical. I actually don't need a 1000, but after years on a H-D, I'm liking Big Twins :)

Currently have occasional need to ride an 09 Deauville 700 and it's grand, but tbh it really needs another 300cc or something.

Other left-field choices include Triumph Scrambler...... or Ducati Multistrada, but not sure I want to spend that much.

So, anything on SV's appreciated.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had the SV1000. Excellent bike. The riding position on the DL would probably suit loaded touring or two up.
    I was regularly getting 5.5 l/100k so pretty practical apart from the 11.5 love fuel tank (to reserve)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

V/Strom 1000 is a great bike, reliable and plenty of grunt. I have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

galwaytt wrote: »
    Triumph ScramblerQUOTE]

PHD motorcycles in Oranmore had a scrambler in the shop, not sure if for sale or in for repairs, but noticed it last time I was in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Been on them many a time, including a trip back from the Northwest road races last year in the worst weather I have ever ridden in. The Strom never put a foot wrong, even at motorway speeds with deep puddles its was so sure footed. Everything from grunt to riding position is just PERFECT. You can carry a small house too, the only thing is (and this is personal opinion) they are much to look at.

Would recommend one all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

All good so, just missed out on one in Galway - only spotted the ad this a.m. to find it's gone already.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Had the DL1000, was faultless except for the typical suzuki thin paint. The 650 is every bit as good with the benefit of being slightly lighter and far more economical, and will still do silly speeds if you want it to. Only went for the 1000 cause the twin exhaust looks better, if I was buying now I'd go for the 650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I've ridden a DL650 quite a bit and really like it. I could see myself getting one some day. Comfy, fast enough, economical - great headlights! The suspension is a bit budget and the rear brake. You do need to care for it or the finish suffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Suzuki have completely revised it for 2014 - the new bike looks great. I saw one getting caned around Mondello at a track day a few years ago so they are certainly versatile. A mate of mine has a 2005 and a 2013 Multistrada and swears the old one is more fun to ride - I'd probably buy a newer Fi Varadero if I was in the market for something like that.

'c

Suzuki have completely revised it for 2014 - the new bike looks great. I saw one getting caned around Mondello at a track day a few years ago so they are certainly versatile. A mate of mine has a 2005 and a 2013 Multistrada and swears the old one is more fun to ride - I'd probably buy a newer Fi Varadero if I was in the market for something like that.

'c

I've ridden a DL650 very briefly, so I'd want to do it again really.

A friend of mine as the older Multistrada and again only a brief ride on that, but I found it.....I dunno, but 'rough' is probably too strong a word for it. Not-as-refined, shall we say, as a Jap engine.

The new-for-2014 DL1000 looks great though, I have to say.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Awww. I've a 650 in storage (breaks my heart .... I can't bear to sell it but should really). It's factory restricted but still goes very nicely. I love the high position. Beautiful balance to it and there's nothing better than when you nail a corner or a series of bends with it. I think they're great looking bike... Plenty of add ons to customise it too.

• Advertisement

Awww. I've a 650 in storage (breaks my heart .... I can't bear to sell it but should really). It's factory restricted but still goes very nicely. I love the high position. Beautiful balance to it and there's nothing better than when you nail a corner or a series of bends with it. I think they're great looking bike... Plenty of add ons to customise it too.

Have had an early DL1000 (K3) since 2006 as my daily ride year around and I have put over 80k km on it over the years, total 88k now.

Can't really fault it apart from stock fueling with is a bit lean so riding around town requires a steady hand but ok otherwise. I'm quite lazy with washing but the finish has been better than expected seen as mine is almost never covered and used every day. Exhaust system e.g. is all stainless, which is quite good for a budget bike. I do fully polish it when doing a big clean up which has probably helped the maintaining a almost blemish-less paint job. Mine is mainly suffering from some corrosion on engine side covers and the front cylinder finishes due to road salt. Add on crashbars etc., which are not Suzuki OEM, show a good bit of corrosion in comparison.

Big Stroms have a design fault with the clutch basket, which wears out and starts to "chudder". I got mine remanufactured in UK a few years ago and it has been great since. Standard maintenance on these is: oil changes every 6k and filter every second time; sparks, air filter, tappet check (never needed adjustments), TB balance, every couple of years. In addition, apart from th clutch basket, over the years I have had to change one roller bearing in multilink, fix an electical fault with headlights and change the front suspension oil seals. I have changed the drive chain twice and am currently running the fourth set of tyres. Brake pads last about 20k a set or more with the way I ride. It uses not a drop of oil between changes and still runs nice and tight. I will need to change the gear position sensor soon as the bike hunts between maps of different gears and occasionally shows the overdrive light on 3rd gear but thats the only fault it has.

Defo would much recommend for you to try one. I took mine to Italy a couple years back and the bike was great on the long run. It's kind of bike that is just really dependable, and as it's nothing to look at attracts absolutely zero attention, good or bad. With a group of bikes nobody even looks at it, but it rides much better than looks. After all these years I still love mine for it's handling, comfort and power. That said, I will probably be on market for the new one whenever they actually become available and price goes down a bit from the expected STG 10k. But only because over 7 years is a loooong time with the same bike.

...just an update: after a 2-month lay-off (on crutches), I sat on my bike for the first time in 9 weeks, last Saturday.

It being a lovely sunny Saturday, I went for a spin.

Now where - why I went is because....whilst browsing DD a pop-up ad came up bottom of the screen for 'special offers' on Suzuki's . Naturally I assumed it was spam, and probably from the US, or China or some such. But I clicked on it anyway and it was actually Suzuki motors Ireland with special offers and a list of dealers.

Both generations of DL1000 were on the list, so I rang the nearest - Doyle's in Athone, and they had one of the new ones in stock, on the window, that I could go an have a look at.

And off in the sun I went.

Doyles duly did take the bike down off the plinth, and wheeled it outside for me to try. It's........lovely :D Modern, and light. God so light. Well when you've arrived on a 365kg Harley, 228kg of anything is bloody light ! I really, really liked it.

So down to numbers then: there is a special offer on the 'old' K9 model at €10950, to include all panniers, top box, centrestand, heated grips etc etc , which is an approx. €3k saving.

The new 2014 model is €13950 with nothing on it. Not even a centrestand. I'd say by the time you add the stand, panniers, top box, heated grips etc etc that you would have no change out of another....€2k ? Which would make it €15950.

So, is the new model worth €5950 more ? ....

What do you think... ?

OLD:

2009-suzuki-vstrom-i01.jpg

NEW
    Review-suzuki-dl-1000-vstrom-01.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Old one is better value imo, new one looks like an ugly take on a multistrada from that picture.

Assuming that you want and would get use from the touring pack and be keeping it for a couple of years anyway I'd say the savings would be worth the "new" model aging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Old model is a lot of bike for 11k...

BMW rip off if ever there was one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Personally I would defo go for the old model. So much extras. Just reading in MCN today the new 650 Vstrom will look very similar to the 1000 cc version. The beak is very BMW ish alright.

P.s I just realised this bike is called a V-Strom, I always thought it was called a V-storm:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

P.s I just realised this bike is called a V-Strom, I always thought it was called a V-storm:o[/QUOTE]

I call my yoke a StormTrooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...just an update: after a 2-month lay-off (on crutches), I sat on my bike for the first time in 9 weeks, last Saturday.

It being a lovely sunny Saturday, I went for a spin.

Now where - why I went is because....whilst browsing DD a pop-up ad came up bottom of the screen for 'special offers' on Suzuki's . Naturally I assumed it was spam, and probably from the US, or China or some such. But I clicked on it anyway and it was actually Suzuki motors Ireland with special offers and a list of dealers.

Both generations of DL1000 were on the list, so I rang the nearest - Doyle's in Athone, and they had one of the new ones in stock, on the window, that I could go an have a look at.

And off in the sun I went.

Doyles duly did take the bike down off the plinth, and wheeled it outside for me to try. It's........lovely :D Modern, and light. God so light. Well when you've arrived on a 365kg Harley, 228kg of anything is bloody light ! I really, really liked it.

So down to numbers then: there is a special offer on the 'old' K9 model at €10950, to include all panniers, top box, centrestand, heated grips etc etc , which is an approx. €3k saving.

The new 2014 model is €13950 with nothing on it. Not even a centrestand. I'd say by the time you add the stand, panniers, top box, heated grips etc etc that you would have no change out of another....€2k ? Which would make it €15950.

So, is the new model worth €5950 more ? ....

What do you think... ?

OLD:

2009-suzuki-vstrom-i01.jpg

NEW
    Review-suzuki-dl-1000-vstrom-01.jpg
    The old is a bit dated, depends on the cash you have. Go with the new if you're loaded! I wouldn't be able to justify it myself sure my hypermotard cost less than €5950. But if you're spending that much, just get the bike you want or you'll always be regretting it. Glad I cleared that one up for you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

If it were me, I'd go to the credit union asking for €15950 for the 2014 Vstrom, and once loan approved buy the older model with all the extras, and then fúck off on a road trip holiday to the tune of the extra €5950. Also, once you buy a new bike, imho you lose about 20% on the resale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the 650 is a nicer engine than the 1000, seems to just run sweeter or something.
    Nothing wrong with the old TL1000 lump at all but the 650 just seemed nicer for some reason.

Also, once you buy a new bike, imho you lose about 20% on the resale

Great point. So for me;
    1. Second hand old model + kit
    2. Old model + kit
    3. New Model

There are loads of great mint Vstrom 1000s out there with luggage. Just make sure its the GT model you get.....I personally think the 650cc mode is a little under powered for such a big bike. And it wouldnt be as nice touring on it.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Great point. So for me;
    1. Second hand old model + kit
    2. Old model + kit
    3. New Model

I have come to the same conclusion as above.

I saw the actual price of the kitted new one yesterday: €15,750. That's just too much imho.

Still haven't ridden one, so will need to try one. The S.O. has an SV650S, so I already know what a peach that is. (the bike, that is...... :pac: :pac: )

Ode To The Motorist

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    BMW rip off if ever there was one.....

....you could argue that BWM ripped off Suzuki..........the DR BIG 750 was the first bike to actually feature a 'beak' as is the norm on everything now, way back in 1988. BMW first used it on the 11GS 6 years later.

As a previous owner of a 1200GS, I have no particular urge to visit that experience, and the Suzuki is more appealing to me.

Ode To The Motorist

....you could argue that BWM ripped off Suzuki..........the DR BIG 750 was the first bike to actually feature a 'beak' as is the norm on everything now, way back in 1988. BMW first used it on the 11GS 6 years later.

As a previous owner of a 1200GS, I have no particular urge to visit that experience, and the Suzuki is more appealing to me.

Did not know that....but in fairness its not just the "beak" the whole bike looks so like a BMW. I would love a spin on the new one to see how it compares to the old 1000.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did not know that....but in fairness its not just the "beak" the whole bike looks so like a BMW. I would love a spin on the new one to see how it compares to the old 1000.

Sure, but it's not a bad thing either way. I do think the new bike is better looking than the old, and probably better in other ways too - but I'm not sure it's 5k better than a new 'old' one and it's definitely not 10k better than a used 'old' one.

Mind you, I do like ABS............ :cool:

Ode To The Motorist

Sure, but it's not a bad thing either way. I do think the new bike is better looking than the old, and probably better in other ways too - but I'm not sure it's 5k better than a new 'old' one and it's definitely not 10k better than a used 'old' one.

Mind you, I do like ABS............ :cool:

Yeah, but any new bike is gonna have a premium attached for the 1st little while because its new. I would take the Kwacker Versys over the new or old Vstrom any day. Much better bike and very well spec'ed, but my favorite bike at the moment is the Triumph Explorer 1200. Out 2 yrs now and still very pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I PM galwaytt loads of info about what i think of the vstrom anyway.

I deffo like mine anyway. Best decision ever was movin from my SV to the strom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

For that money and style of bike, I'd have to agree with wonda and consider the triumph tiger exp 1200 Its shaft driven, no príckin about with adjustment and lubes etc. Its more powerful and faster than the dl and gs, and certainly blows the DL out of the water in the looks department

Advertisement