Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal vs DFT vs cheques vs....

Options
  • 17-01-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

I run a small private practice and am beginning to realise that I probably need to update my payment system. For the last 20 years I take cash or cheques and now have more and more people asking about paying by card. I've resisted having a credit card machine as the charges are too high for the amount of use it would get.

I had a conversation recently with a colleague about this and they suggested using PayPal.

I have to admit that I haven't moved to electronic banking yet - partly because the bank said they would charge my business account €30pm for the privilage despite me alerting them to the small amount of money that goes through the account (I only work one evening a week). Anyway, they've recently relented so I do intend to get started.

My question is: what would be the best form of being paid? Should I ask people to pay in advance of their appointment? Usually they hand over the cash/cheque at the end of the appointment, and that's ok - I think I'd feel awkward though it they pulled out their phone to transfer funds and then I have to check on my computer that the funds are in (how long does it take?).

And why would PayPal (I believe there's a charge) be better than the direct transfer?

Thanks!

Advertisement