Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog after giving birth not drinking water or ordinary feed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I found Drontal quite harsh on small puppy bellies. They seem to tolerate the Parazole well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I always use parazole with kittens, and used it on both my dogs until they were 3 months old.

The vet will give you a syringe to dose them, it's easy to measure out that way, and easy to get into their mouths too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    I found Drontal quite harsh on small puppy bellies. They seem to tolerate the Parazole well.

I've posted here before about worming pups with heavy worm burdens, and how dangerous it can be to kill all the worms in one go due to them all dying in a big, icky, putrefying ball in the pup's tummy. And this is why I, and most poeple involved in rescue who deal with a lot of puppies, will only use Parazole, and not Drontal.
    I think if I were using Drontal, I'd rather wait til the pups were a bit older and more rugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

So Parazole it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

DBB wrote: »
    I've posted here before about worming pups with heavy worm burdens, and how dangerous it can be to kill all the worms in one go due to them all dying in a big, icky, putrefying ball in the pup's tummy. And this is why I, and most poeple involved in rescue who deal with a lot of puppies, will only use Parazole, and not Drontal.
    I think if I were using Drontal, I'd rather wait til the pups were a bit older and more rugged.

an if you have ever witnessed a small pup trying to pass a worm ball you will understand why this makes a lot of sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Congrats to you and your doggie! Hopefully this won't happen but keep a close eye on the pups feeding, my neighbours dog had pups and there were 2 weak ones, the other 4 greedy guts were getting the most milk. The mother made some efforts to alternate them but my neighbour had to make a special effort to keep the bigger pups off her and let the little ones feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Knine wrote: »
    Roundworms are the main problem for puppies though. Coccidiosis can also be an issue in the Summer months.

Lemlin I think I paid just over a tenner for a bottle of it.

Is that for a 100ml bottle? It was my vet recommended the Drontal but will ask them about Parazole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is that for a 100ml bottle? It was my vet recommended the Drontal but will ask them about Parazole.

Yeah I just checked for you & it is 100ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I cant add much to the advice already received but just wanted to say, best of luck with the pups, they look lovely and the mother looks very proud of herself!

More pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OriginV wrote: »
    At 3 in the morning my Golden Retriever gave birth to a litter of 8 pups and I noticed just before she gave birth that she stopped eating her ordinary nuts and stopped drinking her water is this normal? What liquid should I give her to replace the water? What should I feed her?
    Is it okay to give her milk? Or a hint of milk mixed with water?
    Would wood shavings be any good as bedding?
    So Parazole it is?

I'm not being funny but why are you breeding from your dog without having FIRST educated yourself on what to feed her, what normal behaviour is, what bedding to use, what to worm with? This is basic information that any decent book or website would cover.

I shudder to think how you would have responded if there were any difficulties with the labour. Not every owner wakes up to find a healthy litter of puppies that the mother delivered without assistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement