Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to plant whips

• 17-01-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I am contemplating planting a hedge in the next few weeks and am looking for some advice.
    It’s a fairly exposed, well drained site so I would be hoping to plant a Beech hedge – ok?
    To minimise costs I would be looking at bare root whips – is now a good time of the year to plant these or have I missed the boat?
    I have read that for bare root plants it would not be necessary to dig individual holes or a trench for the plants. Would I get away with the following “The quick method for bare roots is to just dig a large spade into the soil (go as deep as possible), push the spade and soil away from you to expose a hole in the ground, pop the bare root into the hole, release the spade and firm in. This method is suitable for fertile, moist soil which has already been weed-treated.”
    For weed protection can I just get a couple of tonne of wood chip/bark and place it along the line of hedging – about a foot either side of the hedge.
    In relation to wind protection how much roughly would the green mesh windbreak cost? I would need approx 40 meters (4 ft high).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi, you still have time to plant whips. The technique you described for planting is fine. Please remember that some of the whips wont survive and you'll more than likely have to replace a few the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

pinky 06 wrote: »
    Hi, you still have time to plant whips. The technique you described for planting is fine. Please remember that some of the whips wont survive and you'll more than likely have to replace a few the following year.

Thanks Pinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Whacker paddy

Dip the bare root whips in a bucket with compost and water mix for about 5 minutes before planting. Mix should be consistent enough for it to stay lightly on roots. This will nourish the roots. The windbreaker should cost approx €1.50 per metre length. Best way to put it upis to nail 2 by 1 lengths of treated lats on to fence or post. Then line up windbreaker and nail another 2 by 1 over it. I did it this way on a very exposed site about 6 years ago and it never budged. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Dip the bare root whips in a bucket with compost and water mix for about 5 minutes before planting. Mix should be consistent enough for it to stay lightly on roots. This will nourish the roots. The windbreaker should cost approx €1.50 per metre length. Best way to put it upis to nail 2 by 1 lengths of treated lats on to fence or post. Then line up windbreaker and nail another 2 by 1 over it. I did it this way on a very exposed site about 6 years ago and it never budged. Good luck.

Thanks. Some good advice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Also I would get the smallest whips that you can - they will be easier to plant and will grow faster and need less staking if on an exposed site.
    I'm in the middle of planting 400 Italian Alder, silver birch and hornbeam and I'm using the T slot technique....works really well even in fairly stony ground.
    To get the best value, get your whips directly from a nursery rather than a garden centre - there are lots of them in the Kilkenny area for some reason - thats where I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a simple way of doing it which is to create a vertical cut in the ground with the spade (i.e. just stand on the spade and drive it downwards), and then do the same with a second cut - but the second cut will form the top of a T in relation to the first. pull the spade back, and it will open up the first cut; drop the bare root in, and firm down.

Advertisement